AA Car Genie - Free ?? - MikeM100

Received a letter from th AA today ofering me a 'free' Car Genie gizmo.

I am deeply suspicious ? It says:

"This free offer will save you £128 in the first year alone – no £29 subscription or £99 joining-fee to pay. Plus, it's free every year, meaning you won't need to pay the £29 annual subscription".

All I have to do is renew my AA membership before the next renewal date ?

So, what is the 'catch' ? I supect that they will be selling the collected data to some third party ?

Or maybe if you don't renew they 'sting' you for the cost of the box ?

I do battle very year to get my membership fee down to a reasonable level so might not want to get locked into this ?

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - alan1302

So, what is the 'catch' ?

You have to stay with the AA or it won't work. Green Flag offer a similar thing.

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - Ethan Edwards

Isn't the Genie just a Bluetooth OBD2 reader then plugs into the car and relays data to your smartphone?

I believe an equivalent cheapo on Ebay is less than a fiver delivered and the Torque App on Google Play is free.

So it's about as valuable an offer as some Insurance companies advert where Parky's touting a "Free Parker Pen" for applying. Basically worthless.

I am so disappointed - the letter said that I had been 'specially chosen' !

They know I must be a 'mug'.

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - Ethan Edwards

Specially chosen from an exclusive group called "everyone" perhaps?

I may be way off base and it's really a fabtastic bit of kit that makes the bed in the morning and makes tea during the day and keeps you warm at night. And turns your 1996 diesel Fiesta into a Ferrari at the touch of a button....in which case I'll take six !

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - Gibbo_Wirral

y AA membership before the next renewal date ?

The catch is that the renewal is almost always dearer than a subscription for a new customer and they think chucking a sub £10 gadget at you will blind you to it.

Edited by Gibbo_Wirral on 01/06/2018 at 15:02

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - Miniman777

y AA membership before the next renewal date ?

The catch is that the renewal is almost always dearer than a subscription for a new customer and they think chucking a sub £10 gadget at you will blind you to it.

Call me cynical but you will probably get bombarded with marketing stuff - car insurance, life insurance, hole in the shoe insurance etc.

While they are selling the benfits, there is something about it that sits uneasy with me as it has a sim card a memory and being connect to the OBD2 port can collect and transmit data - but to whom? Plus we are being told cars are more reliable, so doesnt that negate the point, especially as there are a lot of breakdowns it wont be able to predict.

Too much Big Brother.

It's marketing hype, the something for nothing angle that folk like.

There is a supermarket in Hinckley (orange logo...) where initally 2 hrs parking was free for all, and still free if you spent £5+ in the supermarket if you stayed longer. Used APNR on entry, your reg and entry time displayed, so no excuse for not seeing.

Then big signs appeared saying 'We are making Saturday parking easier...' They decided to invoke a charge for all Saturday parking in a bid to cut congestion on roads nearby (marketing again?) But CUT congestion, you figure? (Mind you, entrance and exit onto the same busy road was another masterpiece of planning design!)

The upshot is by introducing a charge where there was not one, just how does that make it easier?

AA Car Genie - Free ?? Read the T&Cs First ! - MikeM100

I reluctantly renewed my AA Membership today and was reminded about the 'free' AA Car Genie offer.

I duly applied and actually read the Terms & Conditions before signing up. Glad I did, as they are draconian. The device has to permanently fitted and records all locations and journeys as well as speed and acceleration etc. It then sends all the data 'home' to the AA servers.

No wonder it is 'free' ! No thanks but not for me.

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - PTL

The AA are testing these devices on small subset of customers. If people like them then they will seek to sell to customers.

The device and the all the capability behind it are created by a small UK company (Trakm8 - used by likes of Iceland for whole bunch of stuff for their delivery driers) that the AA has partnered with. There's a variety of capabilities - fuel use and efficiency of driving, location stuff (eg where did you leave car), real-time fault assessment, etc. The fault assessment is a bit more than just what your onboard computer reports as the Car Genie runs data analysis against data for similar cars to yours and looks for patterns that indicate a potential fault and risk of breakdown. AA claim that it gives them a 33% chance of spotting problem before it blows up. They get in touch with you to warn you.

In a breakdown situation it will mean the AA have advanced info on your car and what has happened and should be able to deal with the problem better/quicker.

I don't work for AA. I had been doing some work to find out about Trakm8's business and that is how I know

Thanks for that information.

Can't quite work out for whose benefit using such a device will be though ?

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - Gibbo_Wirral

The AA's of course. If they can reduce breakdown visits with preventative medicine, but still take your subscription - £££££££££££££ :-)

AA Car Genie - Free ?? - alan1302

The AA's of course. If they can reduce breakdown visits with preventative medicine, but still take your subscription - £££££££££££££ :-)

And you the owner saves £££££ as well by being able to repair the car before it breaks down.