insurance - cash in lieu? - javixeneize

Quick question... if my car worths 10k, and the repairing is 6,5k, but the insurance decides to write off the car (cat d) as it is not a good deal from them, can i ask them to pay the 60% of the car value on cash and i will pay the remaining part of the repairing from my pocket?

I have seen this in several forums, but i dont know if it is something that can be asked to the insurance company.

My point is that if i want to repair the car, but its more than what the insurance would like to pay, and i want to avoid a write off, which options do i have?

Thanks

insurance - cash in lieu? - Terry W

Let's assume that you value the car at £10k and not a grossly owner inflated amount. You will probably need to argue the toss with ins co who may initially offer (say) £8.5-9k

From an ins co perspective if they authorise repairs of £6.5k they will then need to provide you with a hire car for several weeks even assuming required parts are available. It is also usually the case that a cat D car will reduce the vehicle value by 10 - 20%. In summary the insuarance company will pay £6.5k repairs + (say) £1.5k cat D depreciation + (say) £1000 car rental. Total about £9k.

The alternative is they write off the car and pay you £9-10k. They sell the car through the trade (who may use pattern and s/h parts etc) as cat D salvage for around £3k. This is probably less than authorising repairs themselves and means that they are able to simplify their work and close the files within a few weeks. No risks if repairs not done properly, extended repair times, no comeback etc.

They may be open to a negotiation if you feel strongly about it - personally I would do my best to negotiate o good settlement and take the cash.

insurance - cash in lieu? - javixeneize
Thats my point. Can I say, for example, I don’t need the courtesy car, so they have £1000 extra to invest in the repair? Or even better, as I said, give me the money and I will repair it by myself

Thanks
insurance - cash in lieu? - Manatee

Just split the discussion into two. Get the best settlement for the write off, and ask them what they will sell you the salvage for.

insurance - cash in lieu? - Andrew-T

My car was damaged a year ago; the third party immediately admitted blame so their insurer assessed the damage and offered to write my car off (it was 9 years old). They trawled the market and offered £3500, a reasonable stab at what it would cost me to replace it like for like.

As the car was structurally unimpaired I decided on a local bodywork repair. The insurers agreed and offered 35% less, which was just a little under the cost of my repair. So at a small cost I got to keep a very reliable car. It's probably not worth much now, but it's still running.