First Car help - Rebecca ryding
Hello I am hoping that somebody will be able to help me out as I don’t know anything about cars and don’t want to make a mistake when buying my first car.

My budget is £4000 and needs to be an automatic and in insurance group 10 or below.

I did narrow my options down to a Honda jazz 1.4 cvt or Nissan Micra 1.2/1.4 I have found examples of both with only 30000.
Does any body have experience of driving these cars and if so which would they reccomend or is there any other cars that anybody would reccomend I don’t really want anything above a 1.4 as the insurance estimates for both jazz and micra are £2000.

I have discounted Toyota Yaris MMT and Ford Fiesta durashift as I have not heard good reviews about the transmissions, and would prefer a CVT or DSG transmission.

Thanks in advance .
First Car help - oldroverboy.

hyundai i10 or kia piccanto.

Both with good reputations, used a nw london postcode.. go to link and change to your postcode. The Hyundai is prettier. but same mechanicals as the kia.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&...n

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=price-asc&...n

If humanly possible buy as close as you can to where you live, and remember it is your resposibility to get the car back to the dealer in case of faults. ask for a new MOT if it hasn't a very very recent one, and DO NOT BUY AN AFTERMARKET warranty from the selling dealer, it is expensive toilet paper..

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/03/2018 at 15:57

Thank you very much, I will have a look at them cars now, and thank you for the advice; regarding purchasing a warranty would you say it is better to purchase a warranty online.

Get the best car you can afford, not necessarily using all your budget, and any money left over save for a rainy day.

If you have any faults get the car back to the dealer and advise them in writing recorded delivery, or special delivery.that there is a fault present. your rights are stronger in the first 30 days. Do Not buy privately. Remember, phone the dealer, and if your car breaks down make sure you have breakdown cover and ask the breakdown people to recover it there... (you were on tour way there) so onward travel included on your breakdown cover...

Personally I use Start rescue...

discount code... use at checkout..MVC58481599A

If you buy an aftermarket warranty check the terms and conditions and the excesses and the stuff that is NOT covered.

another possibility.

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=sponsored&...c

www.autotrader.co.uk/car-search?sort=sponsored&...c

both a bit bigger and identical engines gearboxes

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/03/2018 at 16:47

www.gov.uk/check-mot-history

check the mot history. If you put the number plate or link to your advert on this site, someone will advise you.

Once again thank you so very much that is such great advice, unfortunately no one in my family knows anything about cars so for you give some pointers is amazing. I do like the look of the i20, I’ll price insurance up on it later.
First Car help - badbusdriver

Do not get something with an automated dual clutch gearbox (such as the DSG, or ford powershift), they do not have a good reputation for longevity and reliablity. Single clutch automated manuals are best avoided too, as they often have driveability problems (delayed responses, jerky gearchanges). You want CVT like you have mentioned, or a torque converter type such as in the 2 cars mentioned by oldroverboy.

Make sure any jazz you are looking at definately is a CVT as they went through a phase of using an automated manual (i-shift) which is not great.

At your budget, the choice is going to be very limited, as most manufacturers were using automated manuals in their small cars due to the economy and emissions benefits (which you do get with a CVT but not with a torque converter auto).

If you tell us where in the country you are, we can have a look for possible cars.

Thanks for that I did not realise about the dsg transmission, I live in Manchester and am looking a buying a car within next 2/3 months, I know it is Premature looking for a car that long in advance I just want to make sure that I make the right decision as for me it is so much money.
Thanks for that I did not realise about the dsg transmission, I live in Manchester and am looking a buying a car within next 2/3 months, I know it is Premature looking for a car that long in advance I just want to make sure that I make the right decision as for me it is so much money.

Absolutely not too premature!, there are far too many people who go charging into buying a car blindly without looking into what suits their needs and budget best. This is especially important on a fairly limited budget, hence what i have said regarding single and dual clutch automated gearboxes. If buying or leasing a new car, it shouldn't give any cause for concern over the first 2 or 3 years, and any problems that do crop up will be covered by the warranty. Once the warranty periond has expired though, thats when you can find yourself in a real pickle. Dual clutch gearboxes like VW's DSG are fiendishly complex, and the potential for it to fail means that anybody, unless buying new, really should give them a wide berth. Yes, many do last without giving problems, but if buying 2nd hand, you won't know how previous owners have driven and looked after them, so, imo, not worth the risk.

Here are some possibilities in the Manchester area.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180219386...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180301416...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20180301417...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170411429...1

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171206185...1

Edited by badbusdriver on 14/03/2018 at 18:38

Thank you so much that is absolutely amazing, thanks for linking the cars, I think I am going to go for a test drive for both a micra and Hyundai i10 to see which I prefer. Once again thank you so much.

The Hyundai is a far better car!

I had a micra hire car in Dublin last year, very tinny!

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=119612

Edited by oldroverboy. on 14/03/2018 at 19:14

Really, I am quite tall so looks like the Hyundai would be better.
First Car help - SLO76
If that wee blue low mileage i10 has a full service history then it’s a great option for a first automatic car. Robust, simple and easy to drive. Not much to fear here.
First Car help - Avant

The Hyundai i10 is a great little car. My elder daughter is on her second, albeit both manuals, and they've been good to drive with no problems. Try to find a 1.2 which is much livelier than the 1.0.

The Hyundai i10 is a great little car. My elder daughter is on her second, albeit both manuals, and they've been good to drive with no problems. Try to find a 1.2 which is much livelier than the 1.0.

With my old friend harold on holiday in spain with wives, 4 of us, and harold was like me, 6'2" and we drove around for a week in a kia piccanto 1.0 4 speed up and down the hills.

1.0 adequate, but it'll be 1.2 or 1.4 anyway for an auto.

The automatic version of the i10 comes as a 1.2 only, so there is no choice there, only trim level.

First Car help - KB.

There aren't any 1.4s in an i10.

First Car help - barney100

Download 'vehicle smart' on your phone and it gives useful info on any car. Ask around for dealer recommendations,the cars you have named seem a good bet. Might be a good idea to get an AA inspection for peace of mind. Good luck.