Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - SteveLee

Some scrote cloned my plate - which I then changed after the second (quashed) NIP (Notice of Intended Prosecution) for speeding, since then I've had a further three speeding NIPs, the DVLA know of course I've changed my plate the Police must be getting their info from them.

Surely if I went around demanding money off people by falsely accusing them I'd be breaking the law? "Demanding money with menaces" I suspect - how is it the state can do this to me with impunity? What do you reckon, if I took legal action for harassment – are the DVLA or the Police at fault? If we actually had any police on the road, actually policing (like they did in the old days) this would have been a brief issue – so far 6 months and counting – I’m beginning to seriously lose my rag, actually, looking at the NIPs I can see a pattern in the dodgy driver’s commuting behaviour – is there any wonder people are taking the law into their own hands?

Edited by SteveLee on 09/03/2018 at 21:47

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - Bromptonaut

At best/worst there's an administrative cock up.

Deal with it on that basis.

Provided they authorites are prepared to reciprocate and take you seriously at first report that you've been cloned and cancel subsequent action then demanding money with menaces line is for the birds.

If OTOH they were to proceed to prosecution or one police force keeps asking same question then that might constiute maladministration.

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - RT

Five NIPs? You ain't seen nothing yet !!!

Until your ex-registration is registered by someone else, the NIPs will automatically come back to you.

In case you hadn't noticed, all police forces have had cuts to front-lines services because of the year-on-year spending custs by all public bodies since 2008.

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - catsdad
Very annoying and frustrating and I hope there is an answer to stop it once and for all. But suing the state? You'd better have deep pockets.
Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - galileo

If the NIPs show consitent times and locations (and you have the free time) why not lie in wait for the scrote and track him down? I wouldn't for a moment suggest bricks through windscreen or similar illegal vengeance but the Old Bill might just pay a visit if they knew where he lived/worked

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - John Boy

A City of London policeman told me that, if your number plate is cloned, the police give you a password to use if you are stopped. The idea is that they will then be able to identify the car carrying the cloned plate. If that information is correct and the password is distributed to all UK police forces it would suggest that the OP's problems stem from changing his registration. Right or wrong?

A City of London policeman told me that, if your number plate is cloned, the police give you a password to use if you are stopped. The idea is that they will then be able to identify the car carrying the cloned plate. If that information is correct and the password is distributed to all UK police forces it would suggest that the OP's problems stem from changing his registration. Right or wrong?

Stop me? You think the police have got time to stop a marked numberplate? Too busy pursuing thoughtcrime on the internet! I don't run the cloned plate any more - that's my beef. Because my plate was cloned I bought a new registration, but the state are still persuing me for a plate that's no longer on my vehicle, why can they do this? The DVLA know I don't own this plate anymore - it's just not acceptable that law abiding citizens have to put up with this kind of nonsense..

Steve

As previously stated this is either cock up or some sort of unintended consequence of the way the registration system works. It will be much easier to deal with approached as a practical problem to be solved by practical steps. I have dealt with complaints as a public servant both in an organisation being complained about and in an advisory body concernened with redress where state's systems like benefits or immigration have gone wrong. Complainanats who start thinking they're being harrassed or are subject of conspiracy tend to only make their own lives more difficult.

In your shoes I'd start with DVLA. Is the original registratation cancelled or otherwise not in use (eg on retention?). If a plate which is suposedly cancelled or on retention is caught by a speed camera how do they respond to a request for driver details?

If no satisfactory answer consider complaining - if necessary via your MP and the Ombuds.

Is it just one police force who send you NIPS or several? How many have you had altogether? If it's just one force then it shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of an officer with authority to get a marker on your file that gets these things stopped. If you don't get anywhere complain to Chief Constable or your Police and Crime Commissioner.

If you need help speak to an organisation like Citizens Advice or Liberty.

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - Engineer Andy

Steve

As previously stated this is either cock up or some sort of unintended consequence of the way the registration system works. It will be much easier to deal with approached as a practical problem to be solved by practical steps. I have dealt with complaints as a public servant both in an organisation being complained about and in an advisory body concernened with redress where state's systems like benefits or immigration have gone wrong. Complainanats who start thinking they're being harrassed or are subject of conspiracy tend to only make their own lives more difficult.

In your shoes I'd start with DVLA. Is the original registratation cancelled or otherwise not in use (eg on retention?). If a plate which is suposedly cancelled or on retention is caught by a speed camera how do they respond to a request for driver details?

If no satisfactory answer consider complaining - if necessary via your MP and the Ombuds.

Is it just one police force who send you NIPS or several? How many have you had altogether? If it's just one force then it shouldn't be too difficult to get hold of an officer with authority to get a marker on your file that gets these things stopped. If you don't get anywhere complain to Chief Constable or your Police and Crime Commissioner.

If you need help speak to an organisation like Citizens Advice or Liberty.

...and if it doesn't get any joy, go to the media, especially a national newspaper or 'Watchdog' type TV programme. Bad publicity always seems to give egits a jolt in the right direction.

If the NIPs show consitent times and locations (and you have the free time) why not lie in wait for the scrote and track him down? I wouldn't for a moment suggest bricks through windscreen or similar illegal vengeance but the Old Bill might just pay a visit if they knew where he lived/worked

Yes the thought had occured to me!

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - focussed

I received a speed camera ticket for somewhere in London, within the M25 where I hadn't been for 25 years. Fortunately, I could prove that the neither the car or myself were anywhere near London at the time of the ticket. I looked up where the speed camera was, found the nearest police station that answered the phone and reported it as a crime and got a crime number. I then responded to the speeding ticket with the crime number.

I never heard any more about it.

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - daveyK_UK
I heard a story of a guy who had his number plates stolen and a week or so later started to receive fines, which escelated to a daily fine via letter despite him informing the police of the registration plate theft.

A week or so later, he spots an identical van to his Merc Sprinter parked up at blue water shopping mall with his stolen plates on, yes the exact same plates including the merc van dealership name at the bottom of the plates he purchased it from.

He sat and waited for the driver to emerge, hours passed and soon it was mid afternoon and he couldn’t wait any longer. In desperation he went into blue water and asked them to give out a tannoy request but no one responded.

Unable to get his hands on the driver and running out of time, he phoned it through to the police who later gave him a call to say they visited the car park late that evening, it was still there and has been abandoned which they found odd at first given the vans young age.

Further investigation of the vin plates confirmed the vehicle was stolen.

The police were not prepared to wait and see if a driver returned to the van and had it removed to a compound.

Needless to say the guy who was the victim in the story suffered a double frustration of having his plates stolen & used and wasting a day in vain waiting for the driver to show up.

Edited by daveyK_UK on 11/03/2018 at 18:52

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - Gibbo_Wirral

To be using a cloned plate for so long, the perp is eitrher very cocky or very stupid.

Needless to say the guy who was the victim in the story suffered a double frustration of having his plates stolen & used and wasting a day in vain waiting for the driver to show up.

The second bit's his own fault. It's also stupid; if the driver turns out to be a tooled up thug he's in trouble

Suing the state for harrassment? (invalid NIPs) - Middleman

Surely if I went around demanding money off people by falsely accusing them I'd be breaking the law? "Demanding money with menaces" I suspect -

I think you may struggle a little with that contention because, for no other reason, if you read the paperwork you get following a speeding incident you will find that they are only asking for the details of the driver at the time of the allegation. No demand for money - with or without menaces - is made.

The polce get their infrmation from the DVLA. The issue is clearly one of poor administration rather than malicious intent so that is where the issue needs to be resolved.