Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - Serial Car Changer
So my son's 2001 MR2 failed it's MOT on emissions, steering rack, front suspension and tyres apparently fitted the wrong way round. He spent out on getting all that done but couldn't do it in the 14 day retest period due to having to get the money to fix it. So it was 19 days before I took it back to the same garage for him. They took the failure printout and my £35 and I waited whilst they did another full MOT. This time it failed on a brake caliper.
I want to know if this can be correct? Should they only have retested the failure items? Can a caliper even go from pass to fail in 19 days? Also the advisories on both failure printouts are different! Just wanted your thoughts on these situations please because if it's dodgy we will complain/follow it up.
Thanks in anticipation
Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - RobJP

Sounds like the car is an absolute heap, poorly maintained, uncared for, and starting to fall apart.

In which case, it's no surprise at all that something else has gone wrong with it in the 19 day gap.

Sounds like the car is an absolute heap, poorly maintained, uncared for, and starting to fall apart.

In which case, it's no surprise at all that something else has gone wrong with it in the 19 day gap.

Not very helpful tbf. And rather judgemental. I wasn't asking for anyone's personal opinion of the vehicle after all!
Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - KJP 123

Really two questions 1 should they retest all again and 2 the brake calliper.

1 Well yes I suppose they should. It is, after all, a car without an MOT and things can suddenly stop working eg horn or a light and the 2nd MOT station is signing off on it. I know here it is the same one but what if it wasn’t?

2 I doubt if the brake calliper did deteriorate but a lot of the MOT is a matter of opinion; hence the different advisories. Was the calliper an advisory on the 1st MOT?

I can’t see you getting far with a complaint.

Maybe odd to go from pass to fail without advisory but I saw an MOT history with advisories about disc wear going back 2 years and 10,000 miles: seems the 1st at least was a bit cautious.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - scot22

I recall with embarrassment some of the faults in cars I drove. I was, like many young people, strapped for cash.

With hindsight it might have been better to consider another car rather than repair bills. Yes immediate cost but perhaps cheaper long term.

As others have said, unlikely to gain anything by an appeal. Sympathy to your son but fortunately no bigger consequences from the state of the car.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - SLO76
It’s not an exact art Mot testing, there’s a great deal of personal opinion from the person doing it involved. So one tester may think an item is a bare pass and another a fail. Best way to get an accurate unbiased test is to make sure the testing station understand that they won’t gain any work from it. I used a small garage for my trade vehicles who didn’t do Mot’s, instead they farmed them out to another place over the road. They never stung me or listed a barrage of advisories. Bulk of this is down to garages attempting to hoover cash from your wallet. But in reality an Mot only says that the tested items are safe on the day of the test, anything could fail the next day. Too many see the 12mth Mot as some kind of quality guarantee. It’s not, it just means it’s roadworthy on the day of the test.
Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - Andrew-T
Should they only have retested the failure items?

According to the rules, for a retest the full routine should be followed, even if the failure was for a blown bulb. Many friendly garages would replace the bulb and then pass the car. But in your case, after 19 days the car was back to square one, so it should certainly get the full works. They couldn't know what might have happened to the car during that time.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - pd

As you were beyond the 14 days it was not a re-test but a completely new test with no reference to the previous one.

The different advisories perfectly demonstrates why advisories should always be taken with a large pinch of salt and not considered gospel.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - RichardW
According to the rules, for a retest the full routine should be followed, even if the failure was for a blown bulb.

That's not quite right... retest rules:

Retest after a repair

In some cases your vehicle can have a partial retest for free or a reduced MOT fee.

Leaving your vehicle for repair

You only need a partial retest if you leave the vehicle at the test centre for repair and it’s retested within 10 working days. There’s no fee for this.

Taking your vehicle away for repairs

You can take your vehicle away if your MOT certificate is still valid.

If your MOT has run out you can take your vehicle to:

• have the failed defects fixed
  • a pre-arranged MOT test appointment

In both cases, your vehicle still needs to meet the minimum standards of roadworthiness at all times or you can be fined.

Taking it back for a retest the next working day

You won’t have to pay again if you take it back to the same test centre before the end of the next working day for a partial retest on one or more of these items:

• access panels
  • battery
  • bonnet
  • bootlid
  • brake pedal antislip
  • break glass hammer (class 5 vehicles only)
  • doors (including hinges, catches and pillars)
  • door open warning device (class 5 vehicles only)
  • dropsides
  • electrical wiring
  • emergency exits and signs (class 5 vehicles only)
  • entrance door remote control (class 5 vehicles only)
  • entrance/exit steps (class 5 vehicles only)
  • fuel filler cap
  • headlamp cleaning or levelling devices (that doesn’t need a headlamp aim check)
  • horn
  • lamps (excluding headlamp aim)
  • loading door
  • main beam ‘tell-tale’
  • mirrors
  • rear reflectors
  • registration plates
  • seatbelts (but not anchorages), seatbelt load limiter and seatbelt pre-tensioner
  • seats
  • sharp edges or projections
  • stairs (class 5 vehicles only)
  • steering wheel
  • tailboard
  • tailgate
  • trailer electrical sockets
  • towbars (excluding body around anchorage points)
  • tyre pressure monitoring system
  • vehicle identification number (VIN)
  • windscreen glass, wipers and washers
  • wheels and tyres (excluding motorcycles and motorcycles with sidecar)
Taking it back for a retest within 10 working days

You’ll only need a partial retest if you take the vehicle from the test centre for repairs and take it back within 10 working days. You can be charged a partial retest fee for this.

In all other cases, you’ll need to get a full retest and pay the full MOT test fee again.

As said thought, the OPs car was out of the 10 days, so full re-test required (and chargeable). Most garages do a free partial re-test within the 10 day period.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - FoxyJukebox

So-the caliper was ok on test one -but a failure 19 days later on test 2. Either it was missed on test one or it depreciated to failure staus over 18 days

This raises a useful point about MOTs. I believe the test should anticipate/predict the roadworthyness of a car for the following 12 months. It is not an exam on a car's condition at the time of the test.

Of course--this will raise many questions on the test process itself--but perhaps a key quick win would be to convert all MOT advisables into a test failure until remedied .

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - madf

So-the caliper was ok on test one -but a failure 19 days later on test 2. Either it was missed on test one or it depreciated to failure staus over 18 days

This raises a useful point about MOTs. I believe the test should anticipate/predict the roadworthyness of a car for the following 12 months. It is not an exam on a car's condition at the time of the test.

Of course--this will raise many questions on the test process itself--but perhaps a key quick win would be to convert all MOT advisables into a test failure until remedied .

An old heap with unmaintained brakes and corroded calipers sits unused for 19 days (I assume it was not driven illegally) and then the caliper fails to work properly when retested. Why is anyone surprised? It's a miracle all four did not fail.

As for the test predicting failures over the next 12 months, you are presumably winding us up. bald tyres due to wear, punctures, brake pads wearing out - all depends on usage and maintenance. Impossible to predict.. If you seriously mean what you suggest - and I doubt you have thought it through - be prepared to pay £500 for an annual test which involves a barke complete stripdown, detailed testing of bearing and suspension and steering. And failing of any car with rust on or within 0.5 meters of any laod bearing metal.

Goodbye to most cars over 7 years old.

Totally impractical.

Edited by madf on 20/02/2018 at 10:35

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - gordonbennet

Car, ill maintained, brake calipers bathed in road salt (who these days can be even bothered to wash the stuff off let alone keep the brakes in good order), car stands for a couple of weeks, seized brake calipers are to be expected.

Far too many vehicles on our roads do not have correctly maintained brakes, it's almost scandalous, and few if any manufacturers have proper brake servicing built in to their maintenance schedules....however having to buy new calipers plus discs and pads from years 4 onwards is probably more lucrative, plus it keeps the frsit 3 year servicing looking cheap for the lease/PCP/fleet sales.

I'm just a little surprised that private older car owners don't apply a bit more common sense, and sensible cynicism into thei maintenance planning.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - pd

The caliper may have been a bit marginal. It might have just been grabbing a bit on one wheel which one tester thought was OK and another warranted a fail.

MOTs are done by humans using their own opinions so there isn't always 100% consistency.

Probably just needs the pads taken out, a free-off and clean up.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - KJP 123

To Doubleug

No, it’s a matter of opinion of the tester. Not perfect and maybe it should have been have given an advisory but nor sure it was not.

This raises a useful point about MOTs. I believe the test should anticipate/predict the roadworthyness of a car for the following 12 months.

My tyres and brakes have 10,000 miles life left but if I do 20,000 pa so I will not get an MOT?. What if I sell car that I do 5,000 pa in to someone that will do 20,000? You can predict bulb failures as well?

It is not an exam on a car's condition at the time of the test.

Actually that what it is absolutely. If buying a second hand car it is no guarantee for a year later.

These are just opinions, marginal and maybe relative to miles per annum. As I posted before I saw a car with advisories for some time that never failed.

Edited by KJP 123 on 20/02/2018 at 23:49

Thanks everyone. Most of your replies were thoughtful, useful and relevant, as always on HJ.

However, some of you may have forgotten, (or never have known?!), what it's like to be young, on a zero hours contract, working hard and trying to run a car too. I was looking for advice and your own experiences on the matters I raised on my son's behalf, not anyone's personal opinion of the vehicle, how it has been cared for or anything else not specifically asked for. I sometimes respond to other people's posts on here myself and I wouldn't dream of being so disrespectful. If I can't be helpful I wouldn't respond at all. Judgemental posters need not reply thanks.
Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - Mr Carrot Cake

Well what I would say is it's best to look at it in a positive light - having a second test highlighted a brake problem that would otherwise have gone unchecked for a whole year. The car has had a good spring clean and is now safe to drive.

Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - Lee Ackerman
Hi,

I’m sorry to weigh in on an unrelated matter, but have you recently reviewed a garage called Cherry Orchard on Car Gurus re. rejecting a car?

Many thanks in advance.
Toyota MR2 - MOT failed twice on different issues!? - Metropolis.

I'd put this in the same category as the old hotel trick of leaving something minor but blatant enough for the inspector to find, after which they feel they've done their job and gloss over the rest of the inspection. Same goes for your sons Toyota, it's likely that amongst the quagmire of bigger faults, they overlooked some of the more minor issues. That's assuming they are honest!! If in doubt about the latter, try a different MOT centre, gotta be worth it for £35