Peugeot 207S 1,4CC- 2008 - Peugeot 207S 2008 water in ECU problem - Sue Brown
Peugeot 207S 2008 water in ECU problem

You 15 minutes ago

I have a Peugeot 207 1.4S 2008 with water getting into the ECU causing the car to constantly come to a halt. I bought the car 6 months ago from a 2nd hand garage and the problems started in December. The garage mechanics cannot find where the water is coming from and have tried to help but to no avail.

5 mechanics and 6 different RAC callout mechanics confirmed water in ECU but non can find where nor how the water is getting in to the ECU or where it is coming from. I have broken down on numerous occasions and in dangerous situation and had to pay to be towed home on each occasion. I have read on dozens of sites like this that there could be several different causes - even getting a new loom costing £1500 did not work for some.

I have tried drying out the ECU couplings and blowing out them out dry, This worked for 1 day and the car chugged to a halt again and would not drive and found water again in the coupling wells (happens in dry weather conditions too). Today the car only lasted 2 hours after drying them out when they became full of water again and the car came to a halt once again. The water does not smell or have any colour so it can't be coolant or wiper wash. It is not the engine coolant sensor either.

Does anyone have any advise please as this is driving me insane. Do I have to spend lots of money trying to find the fault or just accept the great decrease of value to my car and sell at a loss?

Many thanks
Sue

Peugeot 207S 1,4CC- 2008 - Peugeot 207S 2008 water in ECU problem - elekie&a/c doctor

Is the water clear (like rainwater0 or is there some colour to it from possible engine coolant? You have stated that it is not the coolant temp sensor ,but has it been disconnected for inspection.?This is the most common problem on this model.

Edited by elekie&a/c doctor on 19/02/2018 at 08:38

Hi, the water is clear with no smell. The sensor hasn’t been disconnected though.
Peugeot 207S 1,4CC- 2008 - Peugeot 207S 2008 water in ECU problem - Lrac

Very common well known design fault. Usually caused by washer wiring allowing water to travel back into the wiring module via a capilliary action. So common there are even You tube vids showing the actual fault. Often affects the plug marker marron. Not what you want to hear but I think the best advice is sell the car as soon as poss.

Peugeot 207S 1,4CC- 2008 - Peugeot 207S 2008 water in ECU problem - Lrac

Also search under citroen C3 as this is virtually the same car mechanically.

Hi, thanks for the advise. I have pushed and pushed and the individual garage is taking the car back, offering me a Ford Fiesta 2007 plate. I’ll never get another Peugeot nor a Citroen c3 for that matter. Thanks again
Peugeot 207S 1,4CC- 2008 - Peugeot 207S 2008 water in ECU problem - Andrew-T
I’ll never get another Peugeot nor a Citroen c3 for that matter.

Oh dear, another one wanting to tar almost an entire nation's car output with the same brush, after just one piece of misfortune. A few more of those with different marques and you may run short of alternatives. Switching to German cars may be no better.

As has been said, some models do have well-known faults, but it doesn't follow that everything from that company is riddled with them. Keep an open mind or you just might miss some good ones.

Edited by Andrew-T on 23/02/2018 at 14:51

Peugeot 207S 1,4CC- 2008 - Peugeot 207S 2008 water in ECU problem - Gibbo_Wirral
Water getting into the ECU causing the car to constantly come to a halt. I bought the car 6 months ago from a 2nd hand garage and the problems started in December. The garage mechanics cannot find where the water is coming from and have tried to help but to no avail.

5 mechanics and 6 different RAC callout mechanics confirmed water in ECU but non can find where nor how the water is getting in to the ECU or where it is coming from.

This kind of ignorance from so called mechanics really makes me sick. Its a very well documented problem. Typing "207 water ingress" into Google instantly brings up a myriad of pages from peugeotforums.com.

I would steer well clear of any garage which doesn't know how to Google.

Sadly its just a design fault that's a very easy fix, but it never showed up as an official recall, and as a result has tarnished what's an otherwise half decent car.