Any - Saga, any recent experience? - catsdad
My wife's Corsa insurance renewal from More Than has just come in at £270, up from £214 last year with no change of circumstances. She's been with them for 7 years, full NCD.

We got online quotes to consider our options. Among lots of well-known companies, More Than come in at £198 and LV ( my insurer £173) and Saga £127.

Armed with these she went back to More Than but they still wouldn't go below £230. I tried LV for a multi car price but it was still £173.

So Saga looks by far the cheapest option at £127. That price looks just too cheap and I would dismiss it if it were an unknown company. No doubt it will go up at renewal next year. Has anyone here got recent experience of Saga insurance?
Any - Saga, any recent experience? - Theophilus

I used them for the past couple of years with no problems (but no claims!) ... then changed this year when the renewal premium was suddenly hiked - I guess they are all "at it" trying to buy new customers, then bumping up premiums

Edited by Theophilus on 16/02/2018 at 16:43

Any - Saga, any recent experience? - gordonbennet

SWMBO is with them, very decent to deal with, helped a lot when we wanted to change a car but keep one insured and in use whilst we arranged sale of the other (one month), and they lowered the price to match last renewal, so long as they stay competitive she'll stay with them.

Direct LIne came in cheapest for me this year (via their own website) but i've been with Cornmarket for some years now and they near enough matched as to make it not worth moving.

Just make sure you've ticked all the boxes on the comparison site, ie protected policy if required and that the total excesses are the same, it's easy to miss some of those out when initially comparing, well it is for me :-)

Its a very good price by the way, well done, pays to have a good history.

Any - Saga, any recent experience? - bathtub tom

I was with them for a few years (house and car) until their prices became uncompetitive. I wonder if you hit a 'sweet spot' with them at a certain age?

Any - Saga, any recent experience? - bazza

Yes, we are both using them at the moment, they came in cheapest after LV hiked our prices. No issues to date.

Thanks for the reassuring feedback.

I think it is a "sweet spot" as she is mid 50's, full NCD and only does 2000 miles pa. She has a low risk occupation and we live in a low risk area. All the quotes were on the same info basis so maybe Saga takes more notice of miles and age?

On the other hand she has one no fault minor hit and run (bumper wrecked) 4 years ago and a windscreen last year. Both declared.

The cover is very comprehensive and as good or better as previously, including business use. There is, for example, no windscreen excess.

As the quote is only valid today we've been on and confirmed. Guess what......the price went down by a fiver when we gave further details on the bumper incident.

Saga do try and upsell things like breakdown and legal cover, both of which she has elsewhere. We did pay an extra £17 to get £50,000 extra personal cover. The standard cover was, like her existing insurer, only £5000.

The final bill was £137. I don't think we've paid that little for decades.

I have no connection with Saga.

Edited by catsdad on 16/02/2018 at 19:21

Catsdad, you are my hero, a braver man than i stating his wife's age on t'internet.

Now which ward will you be in traction in, do you prefer magazines or a good book, and white or red grapes, oh and did your dental health care cover the front set ? :-))

Any - Saga, any recent experience? - Falkirk Bairn

Saga must be looking for new business just now.

Son's MiL was some £250 with Admiral, renewal £350.

Did the comparison sites, or rather, my DiL did.

Saga @ some £180 was cheapest by £40 for other "known" name Ins Companies.

Changed days, a few year back my MiL saw Saga premiums rise for home cover. Saved about 80% with 5 mins on comparison site. She had paid them for maybe 15-20 years & never claimed but the premiums rose year on year.

I wonder if the 'name' insurers are cherry picking clients, who could blame them i would, when people who tick the right boxes and who's insurance records (no one is going to tell me that before they offer quotes, your names haven't been whizzed through a preliminary database) come up clean, that the good insurers have maybe finally twigged on that good risks are more likely to remain good risks?

If so £150/250 each from three clean clients must be a better bet for them than taking £450/750 from someone who has a record of claims, various licence points and manages to need a new windscreen every other year at best who lives in crash for cashville.

Edited by gordonbennet on 16/02/2018 at 22:10

Gordon it was payback time. Given our slight (ahem) age gap I have been the butt of ageist banter over our thirty odd years together.

I did actually put the price to her in the good news (cheap) bad news (its saga) format........

Any - Saga, any recent experience? - Avant

So far so good with Sena All Grannies Away: all ours are with them, SWMBO having been with them for a few years with no untoward price hikes. Mine are both first year so I'll be looking carefully at renewal time.

It was a pleasant surprise when I started an additional new policy (for the newly-acquired 125i) when they let me have a full no claims bonus on this too.

Any - Saga, any recent experience? - argybargy

I was with Saga till October last year, and left purely on price. They were never the cheapest on comparison sites, but the insurance had all the features I wanted.

TBH there's very little difference between insurers nowadays except on price, and those prices tend to change like the wind so its difficult to make a useful recommendation unless you've had a claims experience. The only obvious and fairly minor advantage with Saga is that you don't have to go through multiple options on the phone to speak to the person who can deal with your query.

Any - Saga, any recent experience? - RichT54

I was with Saga until January when I switched back to Direct Line as their quote was £40 cheaper than Saga.

During the year I had two windscreen replacements which were handled by Saga's preferred company - Auto Windscreens. No problems with the first claim on the A3. A few minor issues with the arrangements to have the C-HR's camera recalibrated on the second claim.