Ford Fiesta 1242cc 2000 - Clutch failing - Options? - Roland T

My 120k miles Fiesta has just started showing signs of clutch failure.

I first noticed a rotational rattling noise whilst waiting at a junction with the clutch depressed yesterday. Gear selection has become more difficult (but still fine with the engine off). No unusual noises with the engine running in neutral with the clutch up.

Considering the overall condition of the car, paying for a full clutch replacement would be a stretch too far, so I just want to ask:

1. Could there be any cause less costly than a replacement clutch that would be worth investigating?
  2. I realise it could fail completely and leave me stranded at any time but how long it might last in this condition with a bit of luck?

Thanks for all your input.

Ford Fiesta 1242cc 2000 - Clutch failing - Options? - RobJP

Yes, it sounds like a part of the clutch (possibly the release bearing) is failing.

It could last 6 hours, 6 days, or 6 months. It depends on how much 'mechanical sympathy' your driving style has - along with a bit of luck.

Ford Fiesta 1242cc 2000 - Clutch failing - Options? - Galaxy

As RobJP says there's absolutely no way of knowing how long your clutch would be likely to last in it's present condition; nobody has got a crystal ball!

I think you will need to bite-the-bullet and either get the clutch fixed or change the car.

Having said that, however, I was driving round in my Mark 2 Mondeo for about three years with the clutch slipping. It gradually got worse and worse, as you would expect, and eventually there was a terriffic "Bang" from the bellhousing area where something must have broken up. After that I had virtually no drive at all. Towed home by the breakdown organisation and scrapped the car shortly afterwards.

Ford Fiesta 1242cc 2000 - Clutch failing - Options? - gordonbennet

Assuming it is the clutch you might find its not as expensive a fix as you imagine, ask around at good indies for quotes, preferably avoiding the fast fit chains.

Last clutch we had done was on the family Aygo, £280 all inc for quality parts, if the clutch is all that is wrong with the car it could be worth getting done.

Ford Fiesta 1242cc 2000 - Clutch failing - Options? - John F

It might last a bit longer if you learn how to change gear without using the clutch. (I used to have to do this when the clutch cable on our old Passat snapped every 40,000m or so).

Ford Fiesta 1242cc 2000 - Clutch failing - Options? - galileo

It might last a bit longer if you learn how to change gear without using the clutch. (I used to have to do this when the clutch cable on our old Passat snapped every 40,000m or so).

Had to drive from East Anglia to Scotland when clutch release fork snapped on my Ford 100E, the odd times I couldn't avoid stopping I turned the engine off and started with it in 1st gear, seemed kinder to it than ramming it into gear.

Ford Fiesta 1242cc 2000 - Clutch failing - Options? - edlithgow

Is that clutch hydraulic or cable actuated?

If its cable it might just need adjusting.