None - Traffic Taliban - KJP 123

What is the point of speed limits and their enforcement? It’s not just for guidance it is also the law. And if they are not enforced maybe that guidance part would be ignored. But the principle is surely road safety, somewhat already undermined by the dash for cash.

But here is a new argument. It is that the law says 30mph so 31mph is breaking the law. True, but it is enforcing the law purely for the sake of enforcing the law. No one thinks that 31mph is any less safe than 30mph: nearer 40 is another matter, which is why different approaches have been taken on how much you have broken the limit by.

Now, Chief Constable Anthony Bangham, as influential as you can get in these matters, wants drivers doing 31 mph prosecuted. I can’t see that he has said anything about road safety but he seems to want speeding drivers to fear being caught. Not people speeding way over the limit but people just exceeding it by 1 mph. That should do wonders for the relationship between the police and general public.

Apart from that, there are plenty of practical objections:

Do we want drivers looking at their speedos more than the road

Are poice cameras accurate to 1 mph

Your speedometer may say nearly 30 mph but you are only doing 25 mph leading to frustration with following drivers

None - Traffic Taliban - RobJP

A police speed camera is accurate to 0.01 mph - actually even better than that, but the software only shows the first two decimal places.

As to the rights (or wrongs) in any sort of speeding, or allowing people to 'get away with it', or the police excessively enforcing the law, or going easy, I'll just put it this way :

Is there any other field of criminal justice where offences are just ignored ? Do we encourage the police to (for example) allow burglars who only steal small amounts to be watched by the police and they just let them go ?

Do we allow muggers who only inflict minor injuries on their victims to be 'let off' ? After all, we allow minor speeding offences to be 'let off' all the time.

How about drink drivers ? "It's OK, you're only 2% over the limit, on your way"

The law is the law, is the law. We've all gotten very used to the '10% + 2mph' allowance over the limit.

Maybe too used to it.

None - Traffic Taliban - John F

As to the rights (or wrongs) in any sort of speeding, or allowing people to 'get away with it', or the police excessively enforcing the law, or going easy, I'll just put it this way :

Is there any other field of criminal justice where offences are just ignored ? Do we encourage the police to (for example) allow burglars who only steal small amounts to be watched by the police and they just let them go ?

Yes. Thieves.

www.thesun.co.uk/news/5275373/magistrate-slams-sha.../

Yes. Some countries have very strict rules. We have a generous limit, allowing people to drink two or three units of alcohol and then drive.

None - Traffic Taliban - focussed

"A police speed camera is accurate to 0.01 mph - actually even better than that, but the software only shows the first two decimal places."

I'm sure that it could be proved to be so - under laboratory conditions.

Under operational conditions - It is not possible to demonstrate or prove that level of accuracy.

As as has been proved in court of law, there are ways of operating a laser speed gun, either on purpose or innocently, by manipulating the aquisition of the target, called "slippage" that can increase it's speed reading by a large margin, up to 30 mph has been admitted to by the manufacturers.

Edited by focussed on 01/02/2018 at 12:46

None - Traffic Taliban - Metropolis.
Speed limits are unnecessary on the motorway.
None - Traffic Taliban - RT

Only at peak times.

I've seen suggestions that the legal principle of "de minimis" will get prosecutions for 1mph over thrown out of court.

There's a 10% "allowance" on the drive-drive" prosecutions, will that disappear as well.

VOSA/DVSA doesn't prosecute overloads for 1 kg over.

Edited by RT on 01/02/2018 at 09:11

None - Traffic Taliban - Kekettykek

There are valid environmental reasons why there should be speed limits. Fuel consumption, emissions and noise increase dramatically with speed.

None - Traffic Taliban - P3t3r

There are valid environmental reasons why there should be speed limits. Fuel consumption, emissions and noise increase dramatically with speed.

That doesn't really make sense. I live near some fast roads and while most traffic isn't an issue, antisocial individuals are in their noisey cars. I probably wouldn't notice an electric vehicle at 90mph, but I would probably notice one of those noisey Lamborghini's pulling away at the lights.

The same applies to emissions and fuel consumption. An electric vehicle at 90mph will probably produce less emissions than a Lamborghini at 60-70mph.

If we go with that argument, then we should have different speed limits for different vehicles.

None - Traffic Taliban - Kekettykek

Electric vehicles aren't going to give us silent motorways. The majority of noise comes from the tyres on the road surface and not from engines. Also the noise/speed ratio isn't linear, a car at 90mph produces almost twice the road noise of one at 70mph.

Rubbish! The standard of driving is very poor on motorways. 140mph is very different to 70mph and most people can't even do 70mph safely.

It could be argued that the opposite is true. The road I live on has a 30mph limit but I suspect nobody has done more than about 25mph. My speed is usually 15-20mph. With built up areas I find it easy to spot hazards and work out what speed is safe. At 100+mph there is so much more to worry about and if you're not looking a long way into the distance then somebody's going to die.

None - Traffic Taliban - Manatee
At 100+mph there is so much more to worry about and if you're not looking a long way into the distance then somebody's going to die.

If you park your car in Lane 1 or 2 I reckon it's almost certain that someone will crash into it within minutes, and a good chance it will be a Large Goods Vehicle - and they are only doing 56!

None - Traffic Taliban - Mr Carrot Cake

I would disagree. Look at it this way, if we're trying to reduce emmissions and protect the planet why would you drive at 100mph when you could drive at 70mph and emit far less?

None - Traffic Taliban - Metropolis.

The planet... who says 'we' are trying to reduce emissions? I would drive at 100mph because I would get to my destination faster. Not always necessary, but there are circumstances where a high speed lane would be very beneficial. Life is too short to be bumbling along worried about polar bears. If that's the case you might as well cycle.

Generally most of us are trying to reduce emissions. So why would we not have a motorway speed limit?

Did you know that a vehicle traveling at 140mph has 4 times the kinetic enegy as a vehicle traveling at 70mph? So in the event of a crash that is 4 times the energy which is going to dissipate in the crash.

At 100mph you have 2.85 times the kinetic energy compared to 70mph. Almost three times.

Did you know that a vehicle traveling at 140mph has 4 times the kinetic enegy as a vehicle traveling at 70mph? So in the event of a crash that is 4 times the energy which is going to dissipate in the crash.

At 100mph you have 2.85 times the kinetic energy compared to 70mph. Almost three times.

Let's go back to 4mph then - it's safer with lower emissions - silly argument, but clearly there is no right speed.

None - Traffic Taliban - Engineer Andy

Let's go back to 4mph then - it's safer with lower emissions - silly argument, but clearly there is no right speed.

I think that one issue that came up during the global financial crisis/recession in recent years was that because drivers backed off their speed on dual carriageways and motorways, there was less bunching, traffic jams and accidents, and people got to their destinations in busier periods quicker than they used to. This is why I would advocate variable speed limits on such roads, if they are reasonably set (and react quickly to changes on the roads - quite often they don't) and managed/enforced.

I agree that there has to be a balance between useful speed and safety (not just of the person driving but of other road users, pedestrians, wildlife/farm animals and property) - in some limited circumstances, I think moving to a limit in the fast lane on motorways of 80mph (say when the road and weather conditions are very clear/conducive) at some times, but lowering them to 50 or 60 (say) during bad waether on in the rush hours to encourage better flow and less bunching/tailgating.

Going to extremes (100+ or the red flag man) is realistically unproductive, and, ironically, both speeds use similar amounts of fuel and far more than 20-40 (as conditions allow) on minor/local roads and 50-80 on motorways etc designed to have faster moving traffic. One of the problems I see we are facing is going down the route of less common sense and not using our own judgement, as often showcased by idiots doing 'the speed limit' of 60mph on out-of-town country roads at night and/or in poor weather when realistically 40-50 is far more appropriate; on the other side of the coin, I often see people tootling along on similar stretches of road in good conditions bearly touching 40, then significantly braking at mild bends because they see the word 'SLOW' painted on the road.

I thought that the whole point of driving lessons is to teach not just the 'rules' of the road, but driving skill and judgement, and it appears we are seeing less of this nowadays than 20 or 30 years ago. Often poor judgement and driving skills are masked by the significant increase/improvements in vehicle safety systems and emergency medical care.

In my view, people these days drive faster and take more risks, not just by making unwise manouvres, but also by not paying enough attention to other road users and the environment around them, especially in the distance, plus that there are a lot more older drivers on the road, a decent (and growing) number of whom are, in my opinion, not up to the job any more but refuse to stop driving or take care of an ailment that is significantly affecting their driving standards, which can be just as dangerous as young and inexperienced drivers or middle aged ones transferring from bog-standard cars to sports cars with little training in how to cope with the large performance boost.

None - Traffic Taliban - Andrew-T

No one thinks that 31mph is any less safe than 30mph: nearer 40 is another matter, ...

It may be more accurate to put it the other way round: Everyone thinks 31mph is no less safe ... As most people accept that any higher speed is less safe than a lower one, it follows that 31 is theoretically less safe, but by an unmeasurable amount. That is why many drivers go a bit over the limit, because for them 'a bit more won't make any difference'.

A posted limit doesn't mean 'You can drive at this speed until the cancellation sign'. It means you may be nicked if caught exceeding it. There are plenty of places inside 30 limits where it is feasible to do 40 or 50, and others where even 20 would be daft. The limit is there to give other road users - including pedestrians - a reasonable idea of what to look out for.

Edited by Andrew-T on 01/02/2018 at 09:45

None - Traffic Taliban - ExA35Owner

I rather appreciate a former colleague whose line was, "Speeding fines are a tax on stupidity" - it's easy to know what the limit is and easy to stay within it, and the penalties are known. The only unknown is the chance of being caught.

None - Traffic Taliban - daveyjp

The only reason I can think he sees this as important is it doesn't impact on police staffing - he doesn't have to appeal for millions extra to get a new road policing team - he just gets the camera threshold lowered and then reports how effective his policy has been.

Fixed cameras set at the 70 limit are now in use on motorways - he could set these to 72mph and have a bonanza.

I heard a police rep speaking about this on radio yesterday afternoon and he totally debunked the idea.

My local police, West Yorkshire, have just recruited 25 new road policing officers for 24/7 cover and brought back a head of road policing. They will drive plain vehicles and will tackle the worst driving offenders in Leeds and Bradford - this is proactive policing and one which I totally approve. It is often the case that stopping the driver doing 50 in a 30 reveals far more than just someone who doesn't want to abide by speed limits. No tax, insurance, driving licence and tie into more serious offences can all be dealt with.

Amazing how so many senior Police chiefs endlessly complain to the media about 'cuts' and a 'lack of funds', yet they want to agressively prosecute people who just (literally) go over the speed limit, or say things to people (online or in person) that they are 'offended' at (thought Police) or who (in Canada, but likely coming to the UK sometime soon) say the wrong word to describe someone who is 'trans-genedered', or even look at someone 'in the wrong way' (happened over here), and yet they don't:

• Go after yobbos who, after 'getting away with' low-level (in the eyes of the law at least) anti-social behaviour and/or bad driving, think they can (and most often, can) get away with more serious crimes, so they progress to stuff like burglary, arson, assualts, drug dealing, etc.
  • Have the time to go after serious motoring offenders but seem to have to time to congregate (mostly chatting amongst themselves, not doing anything useful) around RTAs and breakdowns of HGVs whilst the road is blocked (often just because there's some 'glass/small debris in the road' [ever heard of a 'broom'] and nothind remotely dangerous to them) for ages, not even bothering to direct traffic at, say, the previous junction (just putting up a 'road closed sign' if that) to alternative routes. Similarly having time to do 'speeding checks' on safe bits of road where they know they can 'get' people for speeding, but not at genuine accident blackspots or patrolling and pulling over drivers who are driving poorly.
  • Not following the laws on speeding themselves when not attending a call-out - how many time have people seen Police cars driving WELL in excess of the limit without the 'blues and twos' on? Or parking illegally on junctions, pavements, double yellow lines, or red routes (London) to visit the local corner shop of take-away for grub?
  • Spending untold £Ms on (in my view) 'investigations' (read witch-hunts) on so-called (male only, and Tories at that) sexual preditors (believing any 'victims who mostly turn out to be serial liars and fantasists) and 'reports' (hand-wringing towards hard-left activists and being generally spineless) about racism that doesn't do much about the subject, all the while people get away with crimes now just because the Police think these people can't be 'touched' because of criticism from the left's activists on TV etc.

Sorry, but I'd have more respect for their opinions if they weren't, in my view, a bunch of steaming hypocrites and money-grabbing, politically-correct ladder-climbers who are not interested in serving the public and who waste untold amounst of money.

Rant over.

None - Traffic Taliban - barney100

Speed does impact on road safety that is true. I just did an awareness course...fair cop....35 in a 30 so no moans. The presenters showed the difference in hitting someone at 30 and 35 and it is quite significant. Apparently "most motorway accidents involve rear end shunts " so your chances of stopping are dependant on your speed, every few mph over seventy gives you more distance needed to stop and to activate your reaction time. When I cruise down the motorways it's as if I was sat still, vehicles well in excess of the limit, one guy got caught doing 147mph recently. Imagine losing control at that speed.

Bangham is quite right to say that there is always a line somewhere, and for a 30 limit it might as well be 30 as 35, the difficulty in keeping under it is no greater or less.

But. What he is really doing is reducing the speed limit. At the moment it is (subject to it being a safe speed) realistic to drive at 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40, et cetera. You won't be able to do that with any confidence if he gets his way, because it's too easy - almost inevitable - to be doing 1mph faster at certain points, even using cruise control or a speed limiter. You'd really have to drive at e.g. 27, 37, 47, 57, 67 depending on the speed limit.

It also makes the practicalities much more critical especially in areas of frequently changing limits. When I am in say a 40 or 50 and see a 30 sign, I come off the accelerator more or less immediately. That is usually enough to see me passing the sign at or around 30-35 with the speed dropping and I level my speed off at 29/30 where that is safe. No problem, currently. But with the habit the police have of placing mobile cameras at tthe start of 30 limits, that could be points and a fine. So we are now into precise braking adjustments. A glance at the speedo may not be enough, we'll need a good look to make sure.

I don't really know what he's about, unless he's just a bit dim or acting politically. Before effectively changing the speed limits, he should first try enforcing them on the current basis.

The Chief Con of Beds was puffing his chest out a year or two back about zro-tolerance of M1 speed limits. The A421 from MK to the Black Cat is like a Transit race at Silverstone with vans legally limited to 60 flashing past at 80 plus. He still hasn't done anything about that.

Que sera sera.

None - Traffic Taliban - RickyBoy

Hey manatee... don't knock thsat A421 link from J13 to the Black Cat.

It's the best bit of road in the country (well, possibly apart from the M45?) as far as I'm concerned!!! Hit that @ 08:45 am on a sunny Sunday morning and we find ourselves sitting, drinking coffee in Cambridge before 10:00 :–)

Can't wait for this proposed Oxford to Cambridge "super-highway" to be constructed (hence avoiding/by-passing Buckingham & Bicester to the West and St. Neots to the East), although I doub't it'll occur in my lifetime :–(

Best...

Hey manatee... don't knock thsat A421 link from J13 to the Black Cat.

It's the best bit of road in the country

Probably not so many vans at 9am on a Sunday!

Best bit is turning north onto the A1 from the right lane, passing all the impatient German saloon drivers that flashed past earlier at an illegal speed queued in the left lane.

We often return in the evening - it's not at all unusual to find stretches of the A428 or A421 closed for roadworks.

None - Traffic Taliban - movilogo

>> Now, Chief Constable Anthony Bangham, as influential as you can get in these matters, wants drivers doing 31 mph prosecuted.

He should be sacked for making callous comments. Typically for this type of comments police gets bad name.

>> The law is the law,

Laws should be interpreted on context.

Edited by movilogo on 01/02/2018 at 15:58

None - Traffic Taliban - FP

"Best bit is turning north onto the A1 from the right lane, passing all the impatient German saloon drivers that flashed past earlier at an illegal speed queued in the left lane."

I am surprised and disgusted that anyone else should dare to know about this trick. :-)

(I've been doing it for years - though not so often these days.)

Yes, it's a nice bit of road and a definite improvement on what was there before; I can remember the slog through twisty and narrow roads before the last bit of dual carriageway was built to complete the link to the M1.

Edited by FP on 01/02/2018 at 16:04

None - Traffic Taliban - Middleman

I don’t know what all the fuss is about. There’s a gentleman user of this forum who believes that prosecutions at 31mph in a 30mph limit have been going on for years:

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/122326/hgv-v-s-car---speed

“I actually got done about 5 years ago doing 31 in a 30 zone and know of people who have been done for doing 1 mile an hour over the speed limit, as it is a limit - full stop.

I think he mentioned it once before and asked him to expand a little by providing some details but answer came there none. I couldn’t be bothered this time. For what it's worth I have seen huge numbers of drivers prosecuted for speeding but never have I seen one done for travelling at less than the "Limit + 10% +2 mph" threshold.

None - Traffic Taliban - bazza

........"Sorry, but I'd have more respect for their opinions if they weren't, in my view, a bunch of steaming hypocrites and money-grabbing, politically-correct ladder-climbers who are not interested in serving the public and who waste untold amounst of money..............

I'm with Engineer Andy on this one. I've often questioned why I, as a middle aged, educated, professional have no respect at all for them, In my dealings, I've been told to eff off, wrongly chased with all blues etc, pulled over and immediately told to drive off with no apology plus a number of sarcastic encounters. My son has witnessed a friend very roughly handled and struck for no reason, so has been influenced by that.

So I just file this as more noise, more vacuous prounouncements from jumped up career coppers who really aren't that bright.

None - Traffic Taliban - John F

......in my view, a bunch of steaming hypocrites and money-grabbing, politically-correct ladder-climbers who are not interested in serving the public and who waste untold amounst of money..............

I'm with Engineer Andy on this one. I've often questioned why I, as a middle aged, educated, professional have no respect at all for them, In my dealings, I've been told to eff off, wrongly chased with all blues etc, pulled over and immediately told to drive off with no apology plus a number of sarcastic encounters......

Sad to see this sort of invective here. I wonder if bazza has any experience of police forces elsewhere? I also am an educated professional, now retired, who has earned a living on three different continents. Try getting on the wrong side of arab, african or american police! Inevitably there are a few ignorant thugs (as there are in any walk of life) but I have almost always found the British police to be polite, friendly, helpful and professional. They even drove me home once after an accident. I was once let off with a caution after being caught by a hand-held speed gun spotted mid- manoeuvre when overtaking someone in a 30 limit. If they put their minds to it they could make a fortune out of motoring offences and speeding fines. Speed cameras are indicated in advance and they even announce where the peripatetic speed van is going to be!

(Disclaimer - I have no family or friends in the police)

<< Sad to see this sort of invective here. >>

Like John F, I have no personal axe to grind opposite British police behaviour. As far as I can recall the only time I have been stopped was about 1970 for having a pair of unmatched lamps fitted to the front of my vehicle. I have never been stopped for speeding, but that can only be because no-one was looking. These days I am just glad to have no need to call on their services, knowing how they have to prioritise their activities.

My main grouse is the high-handed way they can now close a road for hours while they go through excessively lengthy procedures after any incident.

<< Sad to see this sort of invective here. >>

Like John F, I have no personal axe to grind opposite British police behaviour. As far as I can recall the only time I have been stopped was about 1970 for having a pair of unmatched lamps fitted to the front of my vehicle. I have never been stopped for speeding, but that can only be because no-one was looking. These days I am just glad to have no need to call on their services, knowing how they have to prioritise their activities.

My main grouse is the high-handed way they can now close a road for hours while they go through excessively lengthy procedures after any incident.

The public would soon be up in arms if careless/dangerous drivers weren't prosecuted - without evidence they can't be prosecuted.

None - Traffic Taliban - Nomag

Like all professions there are good and bad. I know of several policemen who I wouldn't want to meet in a dark alley.

On the other hand, I had an extremely positive experience a few years ago when we lost a wheel from the caravan at 60mph. The policeman who attended the scene assisted with jacking the caravan, removing wheel nuts from the other wheel to temporarily refix the wheel (as all four nuts had gone missing!) and then escorted us to the nearest Halfords to obtain new wheelnuts. He could have given me a b******ing for obstructing traffic but his approach earned a considerable respect from my young children for the police force (they were in the car at the time).

The loss of teh wheel, by the way, was due to my father in law forgetting to tighten the nuts after doing some repair work for us! I am now obsessive about checking wheel nut torque!

I was a member of a large motorcycle club in the UK around the time when the fixed speed cameras were springing up like weeds all over the place.

Several of the members were serving police officers, and some were traffic officers.

I heard one of them commenting on the spreading menace of the speed cameras :-

"I don't know what is wrong with the youth of this country - when I was young we would have disabled all these b***** speed cameras."

None - Traffic Taliban - SteVee

>>"I don't know what is wrong with the youth of this country - when I was young we would have disabled all these b***** speed cameras."<<

Brilliant - I was also a member of a motorcycle group and I can well imagine one of the police members saying that. It was in talking to one of these police officers who told me how a rider/driver could be prosecuted for going over the posted limit by any amount. His description was: Imagine you are going past a traffic camera at 31 MPH and another road user goes past (in a different lane) at 37 MPH - and triggers the camera. Both road users would be prosecuted. I didn't test the theory.

In general, I think the handling of speed restrictions in the UK is handled sensibly.

None - Traffic Taliban - bazza

I wonder if bazza has any experience of police forces elsewhere?....

Well, only from working in Europe and travelling in some other parts of the world. Yes I take your point about that. But my experiences in this country are not as positive as others on here. My neighbour, who is of similar background shares my feelings, so I don't think I'm alone! Pity, as I have several friends in the service, who are very decent folk.

It would seem that police officers from other forces are not impressed with Mr Bangham's proposals either.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/01/roads-police-o.../

None - Traffic Taliban - argybargy

We regularly hear this sort of tedious nonsense from senior public officials and politicians.

The reasons vary, but they include:

1)Raising their profile for a job application.

2) They are frustrated about the many other matters for which they also have responsibility, but which, due to lack of funding/ lack of will they are unable to address. So they look for something easy that they CAN control, and make great play about promising to deal with it "robustly".

3)They've eaten something that doesn't agree with them.

Given the well documented margin of error in speedometer readings, such a change is utterly impractical. However, we motorists can rest assured that in any case, the police don't have anything like the resources needed to enforce it.

None - Traffic Taliban - Middleman

Given the well documented margin of error in speedometer readings,...

That is a red herring. Whilst I agree that the prosecution of those marginally over the limit is somewhat impractical (which is the very reason the leeway was introduced by the ACPO) vehicle speedometers must not, by law, under record. They can over record by a maximum of 10%. Thus a driver cannot say "my speedo read 30mph but, because of its error, I might have been doing 33mph". He can only say "my speedo read 30mph but because of its error I may only have been doing 27mph". So an erroneous speedo cannot be used to defend marginal speeding.

The very simple point here is that it is impractical to drive at an absolutely precise speed so to avoid breaking a maximum limit means leaving a margin of error.

Bangham's idea means that instead of the margin being allowed in excess of the limit, the driver must make his own allowance and drive more slowly.

So, many drivers (thse who do not relay on being able to spot fixed and mobile cameras) will simply drive at the limit minus 3-5 mph. Those drivers who currently drive at 40 in a 30 when they think they can get away with it will be incensed by following somebody doing an indicated 27, possibly a real 25mph. I can see a big increase in aggressive driving and road rage if this happens.

If say a 30 limit means society is happy for drivers to do 30 when it is safe to do so, for practical purposes a suitable margin needs to be allowed above it. That margin doesn't have to be the current one, just enough to allow somebody to drive at the limit where safe without fear of being done.

None - Traffic Taliban - Finguz

That is a red herring. Whilst I agree that the prosecution of those marginally over the limit is somewhat impractical (which is the very reason the leeway was introduced by the ACPO) vehicle speedometers must not, by law, under record. They can over record by a maximum of 10%. Thus a driver cannot say "my speedo read 30mph but, because of its error, I might have been doing 33mph". He can only say "my speedo read 30mph but because of its error I may only have been doing 27mph". So an erroneous speedo cannot be used to defend marginal speeding.

The indicated speed on both my cars' speedos always reads 2 to 3 mph below the speed indicated by the GPS on the dashcam and/or my phone.

Also, I was issued with an SP30 in 2017 with a speed of 89 mph. The Dashcam was reading 88.

Just saying.

Edited by Finguz on 02/02/2018 at 14:04

None - Traffic Taliban - argybargy

But that was not my point. I wasn't saying that an "erroneous speedo" could be used as a defence, only that an inaccurate reading can and does lull a motorist into thinking he is within the limit when he or she is not. A problem which is manageable with a margin of error of 5mph, but much less so when its just 1 or 2 mph.

It would seem that police officers from other forces are not impressed with Mr Bangham's proposals either.

www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2018/02/01/roads-police-o.../

This was one of the reasons why I was so concerned (and in response to John F's comments) - its not the coppers on the ground who determine policy, but the politically correct, virtue-signalling Chief Constables. All they do is follow orders, especially if not doing so gets them in trouble.

Like most backroomers, I've come across both good and not-so-good Police officers - I know one personally (I work alongside him as a Director of our Residents Association), and whilst he's a nice guy, he (in my opinion) seems to be very much of the 'modern day copper', i.e. touchy-feely, very risk-averse and only getting involve if a case is 'deemed' serious' (i.e. not bothering about 'petty' crimes - he told me not to bother reporting a neighbour who had been driving their car around for 6 months without a MOT [his other car being in a poor state of repair and off the road]) by his bosses, which is essentially whatever the Chief Constable wants (which often isn't what the public does or is going to bring down crime in the long term - just 'headline grabbing initiatives' to look like they are 'doing something 'to crack down' after be maoned at on TV by 'left-wing activists).

Unfortunately, I think a lack of common sense and SJ/politically-correct attitudes seems to be increasing creeping in to out Police forces. I've seen too often the Police go after 'easy marks' like people doing 5mph over the limit, because they can easily pull them over or send them a fine in the post, but not far more serious crimes which require them to actually do some deterctive work. I do sympathise that they have way too much (often politically-correct) paperwork and tasks to do, but when they often STILL do so a poor job (as previously mentioned above) and disregard many people's concerns over the politically-correct issue of the week, then that, to me, smacks of hypocrisy.

With most jobs, you're expected as part of your duties to come up with innovative new ideas to improve performance (better outcomes and efficiency, as well as job satisfaction), and yet how often do we hear of anyone in the Police doing that? Are they all scared of losing their jobs for saying something, even anonymously? You see this in newpaper letters columns - mostly only retired police offers write in, very few serving ones, or at least raise (genuine) concerns with ideas to the media, and their union now is no better than any of the rest of them in the Public Sector, thinking more and more money is just the answer.

<< I've seen too often the Police go after 'easy marks' like people doing 5mph over the limit, because they can easily pull them over or send them a fine in the post, but not far more serious crimes which require them to actually do some detective work. >>

Perhaps part of the reason why so many ancient cases of alleged abuse have been chased in the last few years. J Savile began a trend IMHO. Such cases are unlikely to present danger to the officers and are also likely to score points with the public.

I think speed enforcement is very poor. I did 70mph on the motorway recently and loads of people were passing me and most of them were doing more than 80mph. I always stick to the speed limits 'for the greater good' but I really don't think anybody appreciates it and it only inconveniences myself.

I think part of the problem is that nobody takes speed limits seriously. Have a look at the following video www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-42406692/why-is-speeding-...o . Complete rubbish. She was 'speeding' on a race track! I doubt she was breaking any speed limits that there may have been on the track. However, how long did it take them to find speeders who didn't tell the reporter/officer to stop being stupid? How many of them just said what the officer wanted to hear so they got let off?

While I agree with strict enforcement, if somebody creeps 1mph over the limit for a few seconds I don't think we need to worry about it unless there are other factors eg. icy conditionals, alcohol etc. However, as police don't always have their 'speed gun' pointed at vehicles, they may brake before the officer manages to get a reading. If a car slams the brakes on and gets caught at 31mph then it would probably be fair to assuming that it was doing significantly more than 31mph. Proving that it was doing more than 31mph would be hard, but 31mph is enough to break the law.

None - Traffic Taliban - Smileyman

I wish the concept that speed alone is responsible for road accidents would cease. Speed may at times be a contributing factor, but poor driving, wrong lane use, failure to check for other road users and of course distraction away from the road are all reasons for accidents too.

The constant hounding of motorists to check their speedometers is a distraction away from the road and other vehicles ... to have to be worried about such a small excess as 1 mph would encourage more speedo watch and less road watching ... and most likely precipitate a reduction in safety.

There is no doubt that some motorists do drive too fast (for the conditions irrespective of posted limits) but some drive too slowly too ... and I don't see the police taking action against these.

Last year tougher penalties were introduced, increased fines etc, is that not enough?

None - Traffic Taliban - fredthefifth

What also happens is that a person being tailgated creeping up to 35 and encountering a mobile speed camera will get caught while the tailgater who wants to go much faster and is driving badly gets away with it.

Also getting caught by mobile units tends to be a 9 to 5 (even earlier at this time of year) risk and drivers belting along the same 30mph road after dark get away scot free.

Unless you drive like a saint then getting caught speeding by a small margin (or not) is just down to luck.

I wish the concept that speed alone is responsible for road accidents would cease. Speed may at times be a contributing factor, but poor driving, wrong lane use, failure to check for other road users and of course distraction away from the road are all reasons for accidents too.

I'm not sure where you are hearing this message - certainly not in this thread. No-one can reasonably deny that accidents are worse at higher speeds, and speed is a more easily measured parameter than the others you have cited. That is probably the reason why speed gets more attention.

I'm not sure where you are hearing this message - certainly not in this thread. No-one can reasonably deny that accidents are worse at higher speeds, and speed is a more easily measured parameter than the others you have cited. That is probably the reason why speed gets more attention.

I'm hearing the message, but perhaps you are not. I lost a relative who died in a car accident, in the inquest it was clearly determined that the car was not driving above the speed limit, it was a tragic accident which just a few yards away in any direction would not have been fatal.

My message is if the police were to clamp down on the bad driving the accidents would not occur in the first place, at which point the speed of impact would not need to be relevant (as there would be no impact). I accept inappropriate use of speed can directly or indirectly cause accidents, both driving too fast or driving too slowly. Speed may be easy to measure but ease of measurement is not a quality that generates safety, and there needs to be more attention to driving safely, with appropriate use of speed as a part and not as the main focus.

None - Traffic Taliban - macski

These that campaign on road safety only seem to concentrate on speed. Not indicating, tailgating, lane hogging get completely ignored as do recless actions of pedestrains and cyclists.

Also the idea of a fixed speed limit is lunacy and should be variable depending on the time and day.

None - Traffic Taliban - madf

These that campaign on road safety only seem to concentrate on speed. Not indicating, tailgating, lane hogging get completely ignored as do recless actions of pedestrains and cyclists.

Also the idea of a fixed speed limit is lunacy and should be variable depending on the time and day.

Given the simple fact that most motorists speed on roads with fixed limits - which are often ones used regularly by them - to suggest motorists will actually read what changeable limits actually are and act accordingly is a triumph of hope over reality.

Given the simple fact that most motorists speed on roads with fixed limits - which are often ones used regularly by them - to suggest motorists will actually read what changeable limits actually are and act accordingly is a triumph of hope over reality.

Variable speed limits are now quite common on motorways (I think it would be way too expensive to do the same on ordinary road - all those signs needed after every junction to pick up people turning into a road!) and, by and large, seem to be followed more rigourously than the old 70mph with the +10% (or 5%, depending on which Force's area you were driving in) plus 2mph, as most of the gantries with the illuminated signs have cameras and so people do seem to keep to the limits better, even if they read it from their sat nav and not the speedo. As long as the variable limits are up-to-date and come with (brief) explanations, people will, I think, follow them. They don't get it right as much as I'd like (often being way too cautious and not lifting restrictions early enough - better co-ordination with traffic Police and highways agency road staff needed).

I personally would welcome national laws about the actual limit to which the Police and 'camera partneship' staff can actually say you are 'speeding' - I don't mind if that's a lower (say 5% or 3mph only) margin of error, as all speedos are supposed to over-read the vehcile speed, just less so at lower speeds. I do think though that having them nick anyone for 'speeding' at points that are not accident blackspots or near vulnerable areas (schools, kids playgrounds, hospitals, care homes etc) should not be prioritised just so it can be a money-spinner for a council or police force - I thought that such 'targeting' was outlawed anyway, as they are ONLY supposed to target accident blackspots (fixed or mobile cameras), as its about saving lives, not making money.

That's the very reason why so many people ingore fixed speed limits, because they feel they've been instituted (say a 40 limit on a decent road out of town) because of one or two 'boy (or girl) racers' who wouldn't obey the lower limit anyway (and don't) or because some virtue-signalling politicians did so for publicity or as a sop to 'professional activists' and pressure groups who rarely represent anyone but themeselves/their own political agenda and who also often lie/engage in direputable tactics to get their way.

These that campaign on road safety only seem to concentrate on speed. Not indicating, tailgating, lane hogging get completely ignored as do recless actions of pedestrains and cyclists. Also the idea of a fixed speed limit is lunacy and should be variable depending on the time and day.

I am wondering how you imagine this outbreak of 'lunacy' might be corrected, or even monitored or supervised. The only way to have a nation of drivers abiding by the rules of the road, is for them to accept them voluntarily. A sizeable proportion seem to believe they only apply to others.

None - Traffic Taliban - macski

I am wondering how you imagine this outbreak of 'lunacy' might be corrected, or even monitored or supervised. The only way to have a nation of drivers abiding by the rules of the road, is for them to accept them voluntarily. A sizeable proportion seem to believe they only apply to others.

THey would be supervised just as they are now.

In Scotland outside schools flashing lights indicate a lower speed limit outside schools during times children are going to and leaving school.

However why do you need to slow down while driving along a main A road for a tiny hamlet at 2am when no one is about?

Some years ago I used to drive home from Scotland most Friday nights/Saturday mornings the M74/M6 was deserted from Glasgow down to Preston

Many European countries have a higher motorway speed limit.

A police speed camera is accurate to 0.01 mph - actually even better than that, but the software only shows the first two decimal places.

Do we allow muggers who only inflict minor injuries on their victims to be 'let off' ? After all, we allow minor speeding offences to be 'let off' all the time.

Yes, there are many laws not enforced, cyclist hardly ever see any enforcment, pedestrians never, but littering is not enforced, or being drunk in public place for example, or importing patatoes, your unlikely to be prosecuted for shoplifting unless you have been caught many times and there is a margine that is allowed for drink driving too.

With modern technology this should be easy to instigate, speed limit signs to become LED illuminted and to change as required eg 20 outside a school am & pm.

The present variable speed set-ups on motorways work well but must cost a fortune to set up, and as already stated by others are not always properly / sensibly managed eg by being very slow to react especially when limits should be raised. Newer systems need to be cheaper to install, there is no need for so many gantries on motorways or at all on other roads.

At night when traffic levels are much lower the limit for cars should be raised to 80 as an encouragement to spread the traffic load over the 24 hour period. Likewise, at night as an experiment HGV's should be trialled at higher speeds (eg 60 or 65) to see if this reduces daytime congestion on the roads ... the Dartford Crossing is free overnight here is an example others could follow.

Edited by Smileyman on 03/02/2018 at 21:53

<< With modern technology this should be easy to instigate, speed limit signs to become LED illuminated and to change as required eg 20 outside a school am & pm. >>

Maybe this is an important factor in persuading people to accept driverless cars - they will be programmed never to exceed whatever speed limit they are in ....

Edited by Andrew-T on 03/02/2018 at 23:22

<< With modern technology this should be easy to instigate, speed limit signs to become LED illuminated and to change as required eg 20 outside a school am & pm. >>

Maybe this is an important factor in persuading people to accept driverless cars - they will be programmed never to exceed whatever speed limit they are in ....

But doubtless the driver will still be fined if the infallible computer-on-wheels exceeds the speed limit!

With modern technology this should be easy to instigate, speed limit signs to become LED illuminted and to change as required eg 20 outside a school am & pm.

I think this is a load of rubbish and a waste of money. The speed limit is the maximum speed and drivers should drive at a safe speed. If drivers are controlled by nothing but limits then they'll stop using their judgment and just keep staring at their speedometers.