Hyundai i30 Fastback - Hyundai i30 Fastback 2018 Review - Engineer Andy

I just read the HJ review of the new Hyundai i30 Fastback, and was somewhat disappointed by its poor rating. I thought the review was well balanced, though perhaps missing one cruitial item, namely that Hyundai said the car had no rivals currently. I'll be generous in saying maybe they believe this to be the case in South Korea or the Far East more generally, as I can think of the following cars, similarly priced and specced that are very much rivals:

Sold in the EU (UK)

• Mazda3 Fastback (especially - slightly smaller on boot size, though better inside and far better on the handling and ride, particularly if you avoid the Sport's 18in rims, AND still quicker to 60 [8.8 sec]);
  • SEAT Leon SC (best on performance [7.9sec to 60] and looks if you get the 1.4TSi 150 ACT FR [1.8 and 2.0 are higher spec and cannot be compared], better deals [cheaper] than the Mazda, which you can get 20% off via brokers)
  • Honda Civic (coupe looks and quicker, though now priced [RRP] nearer the likes of the Germans, but better engineered in my view [you pay for their reputation - though I think its still about 10% over priced]).
  • Technically the Skoda Rapid/SEAT Toledo/VW Jetta are in styling though I wouldn't call any of them 'sporty' (even in intention).

Sold Elsewhere in the World

Subaru Impreza (standard N/A 2.0 petrol) - coupe version sold in Australia and perhaps (not checked) the US/Canada where coupes are more popular. Much nicer looking than the hatch which we have the only option to buy in the UK (I saw a test of the coupe WRX on John Cadogan's YT site). Shame we don't get this in the UK.

I'm sure the Yanks have many (admitedly not-so-good) home designed and made coupes to match the Hyundai in terms of spec/price, if not engineering quality.

- - - - - -

I like the exterior styling of the i30 fastback, not so much the 'monotone hard plastic' looking (at least from the photos in the review) interior, though its the relatively poor performance for each engine and ride quality that, to me, lets it down, as well as the lack of rear headroom (more so than in the Mazda). I thought the review comment about boot space was a bit unjustified though - 450 litres for a 'small' family car is excellent, beating all the above except the Rapid and sibblings.

The high lip and (like the Mazda) small boot aperture will be a problem if you want to put large boxes in the boot (they won't fit through the aperture or via the rear doors, even if the boot itself is large enough to take them. Suitacases and golf bags would go in fine though.

My score (without a test drive, but going on HJ's review) would be a 6 out of 10, dropping most due to the ride and handling shortcomings. It'll be interetsing to see how well it sells and what discounts can be had, especially as its going up against the ioniq as well in some ways (not the same in terms of performance and higher to buy, but similar in looks and cheaper to run).

What do you think about this offering from Hyundai - a bit of a risk, given the Mazda has never sold that well despite its better looks than the hatch (10:1 if I recall correctly - my 12yo one is quite rare) and the relatively high price (£500 more than the hatch, no premium for the Mazda, really good deals on the Leon).

Hyundai i30 Fastback - Hyundai i30 Fastback 2018 Review - Manatee

Where did you find the review? All I can see on the fastback is a cut and pasted press release.

Where did you find the review? All I can see on the fastback is a cut and pasted press release.

Its a road test here (via the main HJ page):

www.honestjohn.co.uk/road-tests/hyundai/hyundai-i3.../

Hyundai i30 Fastback - Hyundai i30 Fastback 2018 Review - Manatee

Thanks.

That's certainly not a sycophantic review. It sounds as if they have started with the hatchback, given it a sharp suit and made it worse (and dearer).

Should sell quite well, and if it doesn't it will help to sell the standard i30!

Hyundai i30 Fastback - Hyundai i30 Fastback 2018 Review - Ian_SW

It seems rather an odd car to produce to me. It's not really any more coupe like than a Focus, and doesn't really offer much different to the normal i30. To me it says "we can't decide on which hathback body style will sell better, so let's put both up for sale".. People don't buy Hyundai's really for what they look like or for a particular brand image (as long as they look reasonably normal), they are after a reliable 'normal' car with a good warranty.

It also looks pretty similar to the Ioniq at the back end, and can't beuch different in dimensions overall, so perhaps it's better described as the non Hybrid version of the Ioniq.

I thought the rear end of the car looked quite familiar - its very similar to the Infinity Q60 at the back (same spoiler arrangement). As sales will go, I agree that, given its far less comfortable and practical, and no better in terms of performance or handling than the hatch, why pay £500 more and get a less usable (apearture size and lip height) boot, even if bigger, than the hatch.

If the Mazda3 saloon/fastback has had great difficult selling in decent numbers compared to the hatch, and it is actually better at handling (stiffer chassis) and is (a bit - 0.1 sec to 60 and 2mph faster in top speed) quicker for the same price as the hatch (and about the same price as the i30), I can't see it selling well unless its heavily discounted. I think the poor ride quality will hurt it far more, as at least the Mazda is fine on that front (on 16in tyres at least, ok-ish on 18in, but not terrible).

The Kona/Stonic (3*/4* ratings [odd why there's a difference, given they're almost the same car]) also scored baldy on that front as well - let's hope its not a portent of things to come from them - they've been gradually getting better on the ride, handling and performance front (KIA and Hyundai) for 15 years or so now in line with their general improvements. I hope they aren't concentrating on the 'BMW-inspired' (person in charge used to work for them on the M-division as I understand) N-range to the detriment of their other models.

Get the 'ordinary' ones right first, then move onto the sports stuff.

Hyundai i30 Fastback - Hyundai i30 Fastback 2018 Review - Bianconeri
Not my cup of tea but I do like the ‘normal’ i30 hatch.

You do realise that all Hyundais and KIAs are rubbish don’t you? Especially the metallic purple ones.
Hyundai i30 Fastback - Hyundai i30 Fastback 2018 Review - Avant

Assuming that people will pay extra for the fastback version becasue they want to look sporty, why doesn't it occur to Hyundai to offer the i30N also as a fastback? The i30N has been quite well reviewed, although it's too expensive to be considered as a 'poor man's GTI'.

Assuming that people will pay extra for the fastback version becasue they want to look sporty, why doesn't it occur to Hyundai to offer the i30N also as a fastback? The i30N has been quite well reviewed, although it's too expensive to be considered as a 'poor man's GTI'.

Indeed - Mazda have done the same (though to a lesser extent) with the 3- the range topping Sport Nav 165 isn't available in fastback form. Very odd indeed where both cars look sportier than their hatch brothers to have them only available with the standard engines. They should both look at SEAT to see why a coupe version should be properly sporty, and why they will then sell better as a consequence.

Just a quick update to correct a mistake I made - I have since noticed on reading another review of the car on a different website, and confirmed by a second look here at the photos, that the car does come with a 'hatchback' boot opening like the Skoda Rapid/SEAT Toledo, which is far more usable than the Mazda3 fastback and other 'proper' saloons, which don't. Still, it does mean that the car cannot be as stiff as proper saloons as the body isn't containuous across the upper rear of the car, which will, to a degree, compromise handling.

Nether the less, it goes up in my estimation a bit.