Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Edward Clayson

I've recently purchased a Q7 3.0 tdi, which promptly broke down on the drive home. After the injectors were replaced and coil pack(s) it seems to run fine. However at about 1800 to 2000 rpm then engine sounds a bit harsh, like a resonance type noise. The car is under load and acceleration at the time. Lifting off the gas stops the noise / feeling and outside of these revs it's all ok. There seems to be no loss of power but it just sounds a bit loud to me. Does anyone have any idea on what this might be. It's most pronounced in 8th gear at about 75 mph ish. The tyres have all been tracked and balanced.

Thanks

Edward

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Metropolis.
how old?
Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Edward Clayson

Its a 2010

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - madf

Failed engine mounting

failed gearbox mounting.

are my fiirst thoughts.

then:

exhaust rubbing on something

and so on...

Thanks for helping. Is there anything I can do to try and pinpoint which it might be?

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - craig-pd130

It's very hard to pinpoint noises like that, but I would look first at anything in the engine bay that could have been disturbed when your injectors were replaced. There's a fair chance that it's one of these components hasn't been put back exactly as it should, and could be rubbing / vibrating etc.

So remove the engine cover and have a good poke around. Especially around things like the main trunking / hoses that feed the airbox, go from airbox to turbo, turbo to intercooler etc. Look for loose securing clips, signs of abrasion, or oily smears.

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Peter D

Take it back to the garage that did the work. By the way TDI's do not have coil packs.

Regards Peter

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Andrew Q7
Hi Edward

I've got the same car and the same problem, noticed it
yesterday

Is there any update on yours root cause and solution

Thanks

Andy
Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Visa

Hi Andy and Edward,

Any updates on root cause/solution? I've got the same problem (A6, 3.0 tdi, 2012) with resonance type of noise at about 1900-2000 rpm after all the injectors were replaced.

Thanks,

Visa

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Theflyingflake99

Anyone ever get to the bottom of this? I have the exact same problem with a 2010 Q7, 56k 3.0tdi. I get a vibration under load @ 2000 rpm most noticeable in 6th, 7th and 8th. All tyres have been replaced (vibration present before and after tyres replaced ) Road force balance certainly made the car smoother but still have vibration. Its not that bad but its there and its a resonance type feeling, a high pitched vibration if there's such a thing....? I feel it more going up a hill especially in 8th. It has been checked by 3 different garages and nothing untoward can be found. Interestingly the glow plug light started flashing after it was started a few days ago, I turned it off and on restarting it went away. I'd love to find the solution as it's driving me nuts!

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - J0HNuk

I know it's a totally different car, but my old Focus 2.0 TDCi did exactly the same thing, as did a freinds Vectra, and in both cases it was the Dual Mass Flywheel.

I ignored it for about 30,000 miles, then it started running really rough and the garage diagnosed the problem straight away.

Just to add to the long list of possibilities!

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - Theflyingflake99

Thank you for your reply, the Q7 has an automatic gearbox. There's so many possibilities. I'm really hoping someone will say 'yes I had this and it was the pressurised left receiver rambler valve' or something like that

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI V6 - Audi Q7 3.0 tdi engine noise at 1800 to 2000 rpm - sandy56

Did you get new injectors or reconditioned ones?

Diesel Injectors if not set correctly can cause all sorts of noise and vibration.

Only solution is to remove them have them checked and re set, or replaced.

If the noise started after the injectors were replaced then they are the likely source. If this was done recently go back to the garage and complain. They are liable.