Most unused motorway service areas - Ian_SW

After a baby induced unscheduled stop at Bothwell Services yesterday, it got me wondering which motorway services is the most unused in the UK.

Bothwell has to be a candidate. At 6pm yesterday, we were the only customers, despite the M74 being fairly busy. Other than the car park (which was in near darkness and the surface was worn out to say the least), the facilities were fine if a little dated, and the food from Costa the same as at any other Costa.

To add to the experience, they had 'Roadchef FM' playing (which I didn't realise any company did any more) with adverts telling us about new facilities at Rownhams services (which must be about 500 miles away!) and job opportunities at the slightly nearer Norton Canes.

It did remind me though (the sad creature that I am who has been to most services in the U K at some point in my life) that I've stilll not managed a visit to Norton Canes services since it opened and must remember to take the M6 toll some day when I'm not in a hurry so I can go and enjoy it....

Most unused motorway service areas - gordonbennet

I found Harthill, M8, to be like a ghost station, though it's probably been 25 years since i stopped there overnight in a lorry.

England now seriously overcrowded and Sth Wales not far behind where there is motorway, so probably Scotland has the only peaceful MSA's left.

Most unused motorway service areas - argybargy

I've been to Norton Canes a handful of times, and although the toll road itself hasn't been busy, the service area itself was usually rammed. Maybe folks spend more time in there, believing they can make up lost time by flooring it once they get back on the road.

Most unused motorway service areas - Metropolis.

If you're ever up near Evanton (Dingwall), I highly recommend the Skiach service station, the 'Skiach breakfast' always sets us up well for the journey down south. Apologies Avant if specific mentions like this are not allowed!

(Edit - no, that's fine.)

Edited by Avant on 03/01/2018 at 00:40

Most unused motorway service areas - concrete

On my regular working trips to Scotland i had the dubious 'pleasure' if visitng Bothwell and Harthill, but never cared to repeat the experience. Being so near other facilities i.e towns with supermarkets, they only get the desperate few. In contrast further down into England on the M6 are the excellent services near Tebay. They serve North and South bound, but are not physically connected. On occasion I have been grateful for respite when travelling and they are the only port of call. It is only the very high prices that keep them going. But we need somewhere to stop and it would be a pity to lose them altogether.

Cheers Concrete

Most unused motorway service areas - Terry W

I find motorway services pretty dire with grossly overpriced very mediocre products.

It time permits I will find something a mile or 2 off the motorway. The alternative is a M&S or Waitrose sandwich with bottle of water etc which I anyway keep in the car.

Burger king, costa, starbucks, donuts, etc are all items I would go to some lengths to avoid.

Most unused motorway service areas - RT

I only use Motorway Service Areas for two things - resting for short periods to avoid driving while tired - using the toilets - neither of which generates any money for the operator.

The concept of fast food or fast drink is totally lost on me so it wouldn't matter to me what brands were there anyway.

Most unused motorway service areas - groaver

In contrast further down into England on the M6 are the excellent services near Tebay. They serve North and South bound, but are not physically connected. On occasion I have been grateful for respite when travelling and they are the only port of call. It is only the very high prices that keep them going. But we need somewhere to stop and it would be a pity to lose them altogether.

I'll second that vote for Tebay.

The farm shop is a real Aladdin's cave of foods.

The Gloucester MSA on the M5 are operated in the same way as Tebay

Most unused motorway service areas - ExA35Owner

Owned by the same family.

I have heard of people who drive a long way for a day trip for lunch at Tebay. They might be a bit unusual - but so is the service area.

Hotel there seems nice too, I've been to a couple of meetings there but never stayed overnight.

Owned by the same family.

I have heard of people who drive a long way for a day trip for lunch at Tebay. They might be a bit unusual - but so is the service area.

Hotel there seems nice too, I've been to a couple of meetings there but never stayed overnight.

I knew that the people at Tebay were involved with Gloucester but wan't sure if they had any ongoing involvement - the products for Gloucester are sourced locally, not shipped down from Tebay.

Most unused motorway service areas - smallcar
It is the same family but they have a local sourcing policy at each. I’ve been slightly out my way three times to go to the Gloucester ones - they are an absolute pleasure to use - even the signage, architecture and layout are so pleasurable and lift ones spirits. The farm shop part is enjoyable to walk around although I noticed probably not too many people buying as much as I do. But then I know I have expensive food tastes! Plus they do a deal normally that gives you money off Petrol (down to within a penny or two off non supermarket prices for fuel. also feel there is a better class of punter at the Gloucester services - more akin to a National Trust property than the average high street. I’d nto be surprised if some make a special trip. (As an aside my parents lived near the M1 when courting and used to go for dinner in the Silver Service Forte restaurant on the bridge at Newport Pagnell services in the mid 1960s.

I do wish other services were like Gloucester. At least a bit.
Most unused motorway service areas - Smileyman

I once slept overnight in a car at Medway services on the M2 .. well not all night, I was travelling home from Calais, the port had been closed due to a (French) strike then it re-opened and ferrries started to operate, I think it must have been well after midnight the time I arrived at the service area so I slept until daylight then continued on to home (London).

So why mention this .... well this was in the days when there were none of the stupid / petty restrictions on parking, no signs telling alll motorists they have just enough time for a quick wee and bite to eat (at an inflated price of course) then must scarper or pay to park.

How things have changed, and not for the better!