Ford Focus - How many reverse lights does a Ford Focus Mk2 have - dac1

Hi,

Simple question, on a standard Ford Focus 2006 (Mk2) 1.6 litre LX hatchback - how many reverse lights should it have?

I can see one working. This one is a single light low down on the bumper to the left have side (when looking at the rear bumper).

To me it's daft as, depending on where you stand, you wouldn't be able to see it.

Now either side of the rear windscreen you have a red piece of plastic (I presume the brake lights) and a clear piece of plastic which are the indicators. I haven't looked but should this clear plastic house the reverse lights too (so there would be a plain light bulb for the reverse light and an orange one for the indicator)?

Surely, it must have more reverse lighting than the tiny one low down on the bumper.

If there should be one either side of the rear windscreen then please can someone point me to a good video to change them as they are not working.

Thanks.

Edited by dac1 on 31/12/2017 at 17:09

Ford Focus - How many reverse lights does a Ford Focus Mk2 have - smallcar
No, there is only one and you’ve found it.

Reversing lights are often just put in the spare hole where the rear fog light isn’t - as the latter has to be on the off side if there only the one the reversing light is k the ther (and vica versa in the LHD version).

It’s one of those things that most customers are too bedazzled by the gizmos and the colour choices or monthly finance terms to notice that they might not be able to see much when reversing (and on many cars you can’t see that much anyhow with or without lights...
Ford Focus - How many reverse lights does a Ford Focus Mk2 have - FiestaOwner

Hi,

Simple question, on a standard Ford Focus 2006 (Mk2) 1.6 litre LX hatchback - how many reverse lights should it have?

I can see one working. This one is a single light low down on the bumper to the left have side (when looking at the rear bumper).

To me it's daft as, depending on where you stand, you wouldn't be able to see it.

Now either side of the rear windscreen you have a red piece of plastic (I presume the brake lights) and a clear piece of plastic which are the indicators. I haven't looked but should this clear plastic house the reverse lights too (so there would be a plain light bulb for the reverse light and an orange one for the indicator)?

Surely, it must have more reverse lighting than the tiny one low down on the bumper.

If there should be one either side of the rear windscreen then please can someone point me to a good video to change them as they are not working.

Thanks.

Hi

Only one reversing light on the nearside (left) of the rear bumper and only one rear fog light on the offside (right) rear bumper.

The light units beside the rear windows have the tail lights, brake lights and indicators (with an orange bulb).

I personally prefer it when rear fog lights and reversing lights are fitted in pairs, but this is not how Ford have done it on this car.

Thanks both.

For someone reason, I just couldn't fathom if both main reverse lights weren't working. I guess the reverse (tiny) light is working and therefore no need for me to worry.

Thanks again.

Ford Focus - How many reverse lights does a Ford Focus Mk2 have - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

My 1970s Renault 18 only had one fog light on the offside. The wiring and bulb holder shell was indeed there on the other side. I 'bodged' it up to successfully take a second bulb.

I can't remember how many reversing lights it had.

VW policy is that two rear fog lights would be confused with the brake lights. I agree with that if they were in the same position. But the VW bulbs are always on the offside on right hand drive cars. But I have driven in several dense fogs where more light was needed to be seen.

The same goes for reverse lights, the more the merrier. It's not as if the rear lenses on lighting panels do not have enough room. My Octavia apparently has several tail light bulbs on each side.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 31/12/2017 at 20:46

Ford Focus - How many reverse lights does a Ford Focus Mk2 have - gordonbennet

You can buy quite serious LED bulbs from the usual sources if you want some usable light from that single bulb, anything up to 80w equivalents, but check the bulb dimensions will fit in the holder before buying because the lens part of the bulb may be slightly larger than the standard 21w bulb normally fitted.

Also its entirely possible the current (ho ho) bulb fitted is past its best and isn't giving out enough light.

I don't like single reverse lights either.

Thanks for the further contributions.

Okay, so I've just checked/viewed all lights on my car. All work as epxected.

FYI, on the rear where the light encasements are (one each side of the rear windscreen), there is a tall, narrow red piece of plastic. This shines when I turn the tail lights on. The same light (same red plastic) shines brighter when the brakes are applied.There is also a tall, narrow clear piece of plastic. The only function this clear plastic bit serves is for the indicators through the means of an orange bulb. There is no reversing light on this light encasement area at all.

If this is different to what I should be expecting then do let me know, otherwise all seem to be in accordance with what you advise.

Thanks for you clarification on this matter. Happy new year!

Ford Focus - How many reverse lights does a Ford Focus Mk2 have - elekie&a/c doctor

All looks correct to me. The reverse lights moved up to the rear light cluters around 2012 models that have the revised rear end,with the squat tail lamps.

Ah ha, that may be why I thought my reverse lights didn't work. I guess I had been seeing Ford Focus' (2012-on) reversing and seen their reverse lighting position and when I couldn't see anything on my car in that area I got concerned.

All is well. Thanks.