Jeep Cherokee - Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi V8 experience-s***storm or not - JohnX

As I am going to be spending some time in Oztralia and as buying a large engined car in the UK puts one at risk of being publically burnt at the stake,I have hatched a cunning plan to get one while in Australia.

Looked up a fine car, went and spoke to the dealer 4 days back and nearly ended by signing on the botton line, with a fine looking 6.4 litre with a stonking 344 KW and a mindblowing 624 Nm Hemi V8.

Whats not to like about this I wondered as I proceeded to empty out my bank accounts to collect funds for the purchase.

However at the last minute I saw a video to ?Australian equivalent of Clarkson a John Cadogan ,recommended by a friend on facebook dissing the Jeep Cherokee in its 6.4 litre version.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxICdmnvXiI

Truth be told, it could well be true but does any forum users have any opinions on this engine and the Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi?

Note-Any eco friendly tree hugging lettuce feeding planet savers please stay clear of reading and responding to this post as doing both will increase your blood pressure and stress levels. Thanks

Edited by JohnX on 28/12/2017 at 17:09

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi V8 experience-s***storm or not - Metropolis.

As it normally goes on here, "what you really need is a Japanese or Korean hatchback, petrol with torque converter auto..."

....go for it, make the most of the cheap petrol! And please ignore the tree hugging ecomentalists in the UK when you're back, life's too short to listen to the do gooder granola witnesses of this world...

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi V8 experience-s***storm or not - gordonbennet

Yes the power will be superb, but so will the bills be if it breaks, but if its an itch then scratch it, you only live once.

If it were me it would be a Landcruiser 200, or 70 series Wagon if you prefer old school, either one fitted with the well proven 4.5 V8 turboDiesel, or if you prefer petrol the equally bomb proof 4.0 litre V6, when you want to sell again the 70 series especially will always be in high demand because they make superb camper conversions, rest of car as tough as the engine.

If i had Avant's wallet, well almost anyone's wallet bar mine, i'd be grey importing a new 70 series meself, and as PCharlton, not bothered one bit what anyone else thought of my choice.

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi V8 experience-s***storm or not - SLO76
Big unstressed lump of American pig iron that’ll run to interstellar mileages with ease, a tough torque converter gearbox and relatively simple suspension set up with a load of comfy armchairs to park your backside in and I get the appeal.

There’s little worry about on a properly maintained example but I personally don’t like high performance SUV’s. The handling, ride and steering are compromised by the high ride and they always feel detached and numb compared to a genuine performance saloon. But then each to their own.

Forget about importing it back here as it’ll cost a fortune and there’s a very limited market for it but go, enjoy your time in Oz and buy a fun wagon to blast around in. I’d favour a Holden V8 or Ford XR8 but we all likes different things.

Edited by SLO76 on 28/12/2017 at 18:34

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi V8 experience-s***storm or not - nellyjak

Agree....^^^^...go for it.

Sometimes you just gotta scratch the itch...and enjoy doing it.

If we took on board every review and opinion then we'd all buy sod all.!

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi V8 experience-s***storm or not - expat

I am in Australia. I agree about the big engine. Very satisfying.

Jeep and Land Rover have a bad reputation here for unreliability. For outback and rural work farmers and mining companies buy Land cruisers, Hilux, and Nissan Patrol. If you are driving on tar roads as opposed to bush bashing then SLOs comment about a V8 Falcon or Commodore is absolutely correct. Not only are they a good drive but they are relatively cheap to buy as they depreciate fast. Dammed if I know why as I drive a Falcon station wagon myself and I love it. I have had mine for fifteen years and I can't see anything on the market to match it for easy cruising, and interior space. Spares are relatively cheap and any garage can fix them. Whats not to like? Fuel consumption? Mine is on LPG at 95 cents a litre so who cares.

Jeep Cherokee - Jeep 6.4 litre Hemi V8 experience-s***storm or not - Compost Corner

John Cadogan is brilliant imo - we could do with a UK version of him. His problem with Jeep is more about their customer service than their reliability, which admittedly is not great. The Grand Cherokee, however, is one of the more reliable Jeeps, probably because it's been around for so long and they've had time to iron out most of the problems.

John actually admits he likes the SRT - just that Jeep after-sales puts him off.

I've just bought a new SRT here in the UK as a bit of a mid-life crisis car, though it is practical and you can get lots of people and gear / dogs in it. Jeep UK are giving huge discounts - you'll pay well south of £50k - won't even get a 3yr old RR V8 for that. Horsham Jeep have a white pre-reg at £45k. List is £68k.

It's a seriously fast car and the Aussie cops clamp down pretty hard on speeders. That said, even if you are sensible, the sound of the engine alone will make you smile - it makes your trouser legs vibrate. The SRT is packed with kit and the Hemi should be reliable - it's totally unstressed.