VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - CK91437

So someone posted this:-

"Avoid anything with an automated manual box too such as VAG’s DSG or Ford’s Powershift, they’re almost certain to be trouble in the longterm."

So why haven't VW fixed these issues with their automatic gearboxes? They have had long enough, it's been going on for ages. It's the only thing that puts me off buying one of their cars.

I am certain they have the expertize to do it & they certainly have the engineering talent to do it.

One can only assume that they don't want to do it, As it ensure that the longevity of the vehicle is curtailed as the vehicle becomes too expensive to repair.

Your learned thoughts.........

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - SteveLee

I am certain they have the expertize to do it & they certainly have the engineering talent to do it.

I don't see any evidence in favour of having engineering talent above any other run of the mill dross. Look at the myriad of engine problems affecting various VAG units over the last 15 years - there have been some real howlers. The super and turbo charged 1.4 disaster, the engines with snapping (badly stamped) timing chains, the fiasco with suddenly dropping belt changes from the original 90K to 30K due to water pump related engine failures (with no compensation), the oil pump drive rounding off taking out thousands of inline 2 litre diesels, camshaft lobe slipping (boom!) on Audi V8s, three pots burning out exhaust valves at low mileage, the siemens injector issue - and the worst thing - how much they dragged their feet over each and every issue before the customers got looked after (and plenty who didn't) I won't even mention dieselgate - well - I think I mentioned it once but got away with it...

The only VAG related product I'd consider buying is the Porsche Cayenne as they seem to have dodged most (but not all) of the usual VAG problems. I used to race mk1 golfs and loved 'em - that's when their products were genuinely a step above the competition. Other than badge snobbery there's no reason to buy an Audi or VW - you are getting a poorly-engineered built-to-a-budget Eurobox but have to pay quality-car money for the privilege. At least with Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroën, Renault, Ford etc. you get value for money to go with your (sometimes) shoddy engineering.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Big John

Some of the DSG boxes are reliable. I was in an octavia taxi in Sheffield a couple of weeks ago which had the 6 speed wet DSG and had done 270,000 miles without incident.

I think the 7 speed dry clutch DSG has been less reliable. From what I understand there has been a 7speed wet clutch DSG introduced which is gradually been introduced across the VAG ranges

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - geordie33

I have a 2017 golf 7 speed dsg which has done 5k miles.The gearbox works really well but I accept its early days.How do I know whether it is wet or dry?

I have had 6 vag cars polo/golf/Leon over the years and have never had a problem with any of them akthough this is the first dsg

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - argybargy

From what I can gather, the more recent versions of the Ford Powershift clutch have been partly re-engineered to deal with the issue of gearbox oil leaking through seals into the dry clutch mechanism.

This is not a redesign to remove all faults, but a fix to allow Ford to address problems in existing cars so that people will go away and leave their dealers alone until their warranties run out.

Whether this piecemeal approach works for both Ford and their Powershift customers in other countries where the affected cars are subject to much longer gearbox warranties, seven years in the US and Oz and in Brazil, (of all places) ten years, I have yet to find out.

Edited by argybargy on 15/12/2017 at 09:39

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - concrete

Same as Big John, I was in Sheffield last week visiting my son and we took a taxi, which was a '66 plate Octavia with a DSG transmission. Very nice car indeed. Smooth ride and the gearbox performed flawlessly. I was impressed, especially after some of the stories on the forum. Maybe VAG have it all sorted. HJ keeps stating that the newer versions are now much better than previously. Hope so.

Cheers Concrete

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - coopshere
Question is “would you buy one with your own hard earned cash”?

As has been said there are just too many reported problems with VAG products over the last decade, also lots of reports of poor dealer response to them. No they aren’t alone, even just a little research though highlights the likely culprits so why take a chance when there are enough manufacturers out there without the problems.
VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Manatee

I don't think it's a question of not having clever enough engineers.

The underlying problem IMO that the concept as applied to consumer "automatics" is a fudge.

DCT's were developed for racing - they provide millisecond changes (faster than a manual) and high efficiency (unlike a traditional auto).

The original objective was not to produce a more advanced automatic - racing drivers generally decide on their own gearchanges, but as the actual change is automated it is relatively simple to programme the changes according to similar criterai to those used in traditional autos.

There are some challenges with substituting a DCT for a traditiional auto.

- simulating the sheer drivability of a torque converter+planetary gear-set, especially the creep and the way it can be used to manouevre

- the requirement for friction clutches that have to allow slip, and therefore will wear

- the fact that many users migrating from traditional autos are likely to use the DCT in ways that will cause or exacerbate damage or wear, rather than in strict accordance with user instructions.

My Outlander with torque converter is a joy to use. I reverse up a slope into my driveway and need to do so with great precision to allow for pedestrian space on one side, passenger access on the other, and not hitting two other parked vehicles in the process. I can go as slowly as I like, and pause whenever I want to check clearances just by releasing the accelerator (and if necessary touhcing the brake). To do this with a DCT (we have a Skoda Roomster 1.2TSI with DSG) is not only awkward - because the clutch releases when the brake is used, and when the brake is released there is a hiatus while it finds the biting point again - but potentially heats up and causes excessive wear to the clutch plates.

The Skoda manual expressly forbids "holding the car on the accelerator" but that is effectively what I do in the Outlander and what many users must instinctively do with a DSG.

The multiplate wet clutches seem to fare better than the single plate dry clutches in e.g. the VAG DQ200. But the wet clutch variants are presumably more expensive to manufacture and heavier.

I think Mazda has gone the right way by sticking with torque converters and extending the lock up capability of its automatics to improve efficiency. They have also, sensibly in my opinion, eschewed the approach of low displacement forced induction petrol engines in favour of 'right-sized' naturally aspirated ones.

It appears to me that Ford for example has developed the ecoboost engines for their greater thermal efficiency and ability to perform well on statutory economy tests - in the real world the actual economy has fallen as a percentage of the official figures to around 70%. The engines are also very complex and, it turns out, not very reliable.

I'm sure I read somewhere that there os now some backpedalling going on in the commitment to DCTs by some manufacturers.

The emissions fiddling scandal may well result among other things in economy tests that more nearly reflect real life and that will probably kill the 'ecoboosts' too.

Edited by Manatee on 15/12/2017 at 19:23

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Metropolis.

Bang on!

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Senexdriver
I participate in an online forum for owners of the new Audi A4. There have been a few problems reported with the s tronic gearbox, but mainly with the Mecatronic unit rather than the actual gearbox. As I understand it, VAG went over to using synthetic oil in the wet clutch gearbox and that has largely eliminated the traditional problems.

My own s tronic has covered 11,000 miles without incident, but it’s early days for me too. The conventional wisdom is that provided the gearbox oil is changed at intervals of 38,000 miles all should be well.
VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - SLO76
“The conventional wisdom is that provided the gearbox oil is changed at intervals of 38,000 miles all should be well.”

Sadly, something that few owners will be willing to shell out for. First owners will largely be leasing or on PCP and care not a jot about the cars longterm reliability and all too often the used owner is on a budget which doesn’t allow for the proper maintenance of a complex prestige motor.

Look into many of the cases of gearbox failure on such cars and often you’ll find no fluid changes and irregular or inappropriate maintenance. I’m amazed at the number of modern complex prestige German cars I see on ramps at the wee backstreet workshop I use for my trade vehicles. These guys are good old school mechanics, experts at making do and mending but they’ll admit in private that they’re not equipped or knowledgeable enough to properly maintain this sort of metal.

That’s not to say there’s no underlying flaws in these highly complex automated manual gearboxes (there’s good reason why the Japs gave up on them) even with proper maintenance the failure rate is far too high but scrimp and they’ll bite you.
VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Senexdriver
Buying a used prestige motor on a budget that doesn’t allow for maintenance according to manufacturer’s recommended standard. What a recipe for disaster.
VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Manatee
I participate in an online forum for owners of the new Audi A4. There have been a few problems reported with the s tronic gearbox, but mainly with the Mecatronic unit rather than the actual gearbox. As I understand it, VAG went over to using synthetic oil in the wet clutch gearbox and that has largely eliminated the traditional problems. My own s tronic has covered 11,000 miles without incident, but it’s early days for me too. The conventional wisdom is that provided the gearbox oil is changed at intervals of 38,000 miles all should be well.

Mechatronic faults are not trivial, the unit is a substantial case of hydraulic valves and pistons with electronic control and solenoids using a dozen or so sensors to operate the clutches and selector forks. There are presumably few faults with the actual gears because they are just gears, little different in operation to any normal, manual, constant mesh gearbox. It's nearly always about the control unit. Any electronic, sensor or solenoid failure is going to leave you without drive or some of the gears and a very large repair bill.

The other vulnerable part is the clutches, more so in the dry clutch DQ200; although the epidemic fault on the DQ200 for which a recall was instituted in some markets (but not the UK) was actually caused by electrolytic corrosion in the Mechatronic unit.

Yes you are asking for trouble if complicated stuff like this isn't, or hasn't been, maintained properly but that doesn't guarantee reliability. Personally I wouldn't choose one second hand and, if my wife would let me, I'd get rid of our 3.5 year old Roomster (7 speed DQ200) soon.

There's also the driving characteristics. The Roomster is brilliant on the move, but compared with our (traditional automatic) Outlander it is horrible when manoeuvring slowly, despite years of VAG tweaking and developing DSG to make it feel like a torque converter transmission. And all the time you are trying to use it like one to creep, you are slipping the friction clutches.

I think they must now be near the limit of development within reasonable cost and weight constraints.

If you have a mental image of the Mechatronic as a small box with a few electrical connections then you might find these videos interesting.

humblemechanic.com/how-vw-parts-fail-7-speed-dsg-m.../

www.youtube.com/watch?v=xyp96e1p16Q

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - gordonbennet

A lot of info there MT, thankyou for that.

These boxes are something i've avoided in my own vehicles and always will, no matter how many clutches the things have.

However i've been stuck with them in lorry world for the last 12 years though i did drive one of the early versions, Volvo Geartronic around 1993, so they have been around a good while and very common from the early noughties and now various versions are fitted to the vast majority of new lorries in europe, the USA and rest of the world haven't been quite so ready to accept them, i suspect this is a combination of life expectancy, gruelling road and off road conditions requiring proper control and the real reason why should we? maybe we're more gullible in europe and tend to buy/lease what the maker's tell us is best not what we want or need, but thats another argument.

The main point being that in the UK at least where on road condtions, traffic volumes excepted, are probably the easiest in the world when the whole country is judged, few mountains little in the way of extreme weather, highly regulated traffic and standards, then i have to say that these automated manual lorry boxes have proved fantastically reliable, they're often horrid to drive (Volvo excepted and now Scania excepted with their improved box) having all the driving failings of car systems but do ot have the fragility of ther car equivalents.

Volvo have started offering a ew twin clutch lorry box, i haven't used it but reports are its the dogs bits which isn't a surprise, but most of the other makers use the more simple single clucth boxes, long term reports are eagerly awaited.

I personally hate the things because i believe replacing the gearstick with a switch has had a massive dumbing down effect in my industry and its taken a lot of pride out of the job that us older long termers have/had, but you cannot knock the reliability of these lorry gearboxes, and they have prevented idiots from wrecking boxes and clutches in record time, which was becoming a serious problem in lorries, the issue manifesting itself from when lorries first gained synchro boxes, when they had constant mesh manual boxes you generally needed someone who could drive to drive them.

So why are these car boxes so unreliable compared to equivalent lorry fitments, and why especially do people willingly buy ticking timb bombs by buying these things out of warranty.

Edited by gordonbennet on 20/12/2017 at 12:20

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Metropolis.
Honda an 8 speed DCT on sale in the US, i think under the Acura brand, connected to a torque converter. Seems like a good solution!
VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Simon

So why are these car boxes so unreliable compared to equivalent lorry fitments

Because most 'automatic' gearboxes are really just automated manual boxes. They still have a conventional clutch and gearchange, its just that it is all automated for the driver.
VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - gordonbennet

So why are these car boxes so unreliable compared to equivalent lorry fitments

Because most 'automatic' gearboxes are really just automated manual boxes. They still have a conventional clutch and gearchange, its just that it is all automated for the driver.

Exactly the same in lorries, a 12 speed (usually) constant mesh gearbox, and whilst they are slow, and almost unfit for purpose at maneuvering speeds, they are many times more reliable than those fitted to the popular cars under discussion here.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - GTD 184

My wife purchased a brand new 2017 VW Tiguan DSG - R-Line 2.0TDi - 190ps - 4 Motion in March 2017.

Since taking delivery there has been an audible mechanical grating noise emanating from the DSG automatic transmission into the cabin when driving and downshifting in 1-4 gears in slow moving traffic). With my wife's Tiguan now nudging 2,600 miles from new this noise is now becoming noticeable when driving in most gears.

I have returned the car to the selling dealer several times and have accompanied several test drives which have all identified the noise in question. However, the dealer and VW technical have stated that the noise is a "characteristic" and "normal operation" which is not acceptable on a car costing £44,000!

VW have declined to elaborate on what component is causing the noise or why the noise is evident other than to state it is a "characteristic" and that we have to accept it for what it is. The gearbox in question is the latest DQ500 high torque version which is VW's flagship gearbox

I appointed a DEKRA engineer who confirmed the noise and the fact that it was unacceptable. However, the Motor Ombudsman insists that a mechanical grating noise is not indicative of a defect, and so if a definitive fault is not confirmed he cannot uphold our complaint. Vw have undertaken no investigative work regarding the grating noise other than test drive 2 like for like Tiguans for comparison purposes, during this test one car exhibited a noise which was unremarkable however one Tiguan on the forecourt with 175 miles was horrendous.

I have test driven other Mk2 Tiguans which exhibit no noise so there is no consistency. The Brand manager also confirmed that the company Tiguan which he owned for 3 months did not exhibit any transmisson noise which discounts VW's theory that 'All' Tiguan derivatives make this noise. I have been made aware that owners of Mk2 Tiguans as far afield as Singapore, Australia, Iceland and UK have all reported the same grating noise issue.

To date my wife has driven just 2600 miles as she refuses to drive her Tiguan.

We are at stalemate and other than instigating costly legal representation to conclude this debacle we are left with another VW in the household that has suffered from a defective DSG gearbox, the other one being my Mk7 Golf GTD which had a replacement DSG gearbox at 8,000 miles.

On our experience clearly VW still have massive quality issues with their DSG gearboxes but still continue to sell them!

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - CK91437

@ GTD 184

That's a terrible customer experience after spending so much money with them.

Can all posters please stop referring to these and some other cars as "Premium cars", because thay are not.

They use to be many years ago. Now I would say they are on the same level as British Leyland, but just a lot more expensive.

"expensive r-----h" springs to mind.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - galileo

Slightly surprised that after the experience with the other VAG car anyone would spend £44000 on another one.

Slightly surprised that after the experience with the other VAG car anyone would spend £44000 on another one.

Interesting, but not surprising. One can't extrapolate reliability from the experience with one car, and reputations carry weight. If one has the perception of a reliable brand then one experience can be considered unlucky, rather than a trend.

It works the other way too. I worked once for an retailer with a poor reputation for service. Some research showed conclusively that a majority of respondents considered our service poor, but 90%+ of them had actually had good service on their last visit. We did some discussion groups to dig a bit deeper, and we found that a good experience did not change people's opinions very much. They just thought they had been lucky!

I'm just surprised that it is possible to spend £44,000 on a Tiguan.

Edited by Manatee on 21/12/2017 at 16:05

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Engineer Andy

Interesting, but not surprising. One can't extrapolate reliability from the experience with one car, and reputations carry weight. If one has the perception of a reliable brand then one experience can be considered unlucky, rather than a trend.

It works the other way too. I worked once for an retailer with a poor reputation for service. Some research showed conclusively that a majority of respondents considered our service poor, but 90%+ of them had actually had good service on their last visit. We did some discussion groups to dig a bit deeper, and we found that a good experience did not change people's opinions very much. They just thought they had been lucky!

I'm just surprised that it is possible to spend £44,000 on a Tiguan.

Sadly the 'snob factor' in buying German cars still exists, whereby many people (including members of my own family) have, in my opinion, defied reason and a wealth of evidence showing that they aren't anywhere near the best in terms of engineering quality and reliability and bought them anyway.

I'm always staggered as to why someone would buy another car (especially the same model) from a make/model that, in my view, has suffered so many problems and regularly does badly in terms of customer care. Oh well.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Big John

Sadly the 'snob factor' in buying German cars still exists, whereby many people (including members of my own family) have, in my opinion, defied reason and a wealth of evidence showing that they aren't anywhere near the best in terms of engineering quality and reliability and bought them anyway.

Never had a DSG but we've had a few VAG cars over the years 1984 Polo (from new for 19 years 140k miles), 1990 Passat td (for 5 years from 1996 , 200 k miles whe sold ), 2001 1.4 Octavia (from new - still owned now 125k miles), 2003 Skoda Superb pd(for 10 years from 2005 160k miles when sold) and 2014 Superb tsi (from 2015 - still owned). Other than normal GOOD servicing (never long intervals!) - very few problems .

Might be that I'm lucky or I'm fussy about servicing / maintenance these days but in the past I used to have Fords, Vauxalls, a Datsun 100A , Austins (Allegro, Maestro) , Morris Marina and a Saab. All had pretty bad issues (including new engines) except for a MK II Astra and a Saab 9000cs (my favorite car of all time)

Edited by Big John on 21/12/2017 at 21:42

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - SteveLee

Might be that I'm lucky or I'm fussy about servicing / maintenance these days but in the past I used to have Fords, Vauxalls, a Datsun 100A , Austins (Allegro, Maestro) , Morris Marina and a Saab. All had pretty bad issues (including new engines) except for a MK II Astra and a Saab 9000cs (my favorite car of all time)

You have been lucky to run a 1984 Polo that didn't disintegrate through rust after ten minutes, they were otherwise pretty good, so basically you bought a couple of VW cars back in the 80s and 90s when they were still decent robust simple cars and then some subsequent Škodas which tend to be built around tried and tested VAG tech with some of the gimmicks stripped away - but built properly in the Czech Republic. I must say (Porsche aside) if someone held a gun to my head and forced me to buy a VAG car it would have a Škoda badge.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - oldroverboy.

My neighbours went for a test drive in an Approved used skoda fabia. It broke down driving off the forecourt.

went elsewhere and bought a kia. (after asking me and doing some research)

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - bazza

To GTD 184, I can't quite believe you have managed to get yourself into this position, with 2 very expensive DSG cars on your drive ,both with serious faults! What a fantastic advert for VW-not! I would be tempted to try and go public with this one, it makes an interesting story for the local newspaper and also the journals such as "What Car" or "Auto Express", who might be able to help, but I have no direct experience of that. But I do know, from completely unrelated experience that businesses absolutely fear bad publicity and this is your stick to beat them with. If you don't wish to persue that route, you need legal representation and an estimate of the cost of that versus the hit you'll take by trading your car in against another make. The equity (or debt!) you have will put you into some very nice Japanese SUVs, where you will find a much improved customer service to what you've been used to. But be prepared to have your VWs marked down and the faults priced into the deal, which is only fair. PLenty of information on this site as to what specifically to purchase. There is no need to spend anything like what you have to own a decent vehicle without faults and good after-care/warranty etc.

Edited by bazza on 22/12/2017 at 10:01

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - GTD 184

To GTD 184, I can't quite believe you have managed to get yourself into this position, with 2 very expensive DSG cars on your drive, both with serious faults! What a fantastic advert for VW-not! I would be tempted to try and go public with this one, it makes an interesting story for the local newspaper and also the journals such as "What Car" or "Auto Express", who might be able to help, but I have no direct experience of that. But I do know, from completely unrelated experience that businesses absolutely fear bad publicity and this is your stick to beat them with. If you don't wish to persue that route, you need legal representation and an estimate of the cost of that versus the hit you'll take by trading your car in against another make. The equity (or debt!) you have will put you into some very nice Japanese SUVs, where you will find a much improved customer service to what you've been used to. But be prepared to have your VWs marked down and the faults priced into the deal, which is only fair. PLenty of information on this site as to what specifically to purchase. There is no need to spend anything like what you have to own a decent vehicle without faults and good after-care/warranty etc.

Unfortunately, it was not my intention to purchase 2 defective cars be those purchases 3 years apart. However, as anyone who has been in this most unfortunate situation will understand consumer law is rarely on the side of the consumer because of how the law is interpreted, especially where car purchases are in dispute. My Golf had a common DSG issue which due to time constraints I was unable to reject. With regards to my wife’s Tiguan again, the Consumer Rights Act 2015 stipulates that a car can only be rejected within the first 30 days. Given that the issue with my wife’s Tiguan was not reported until after the 30 day cut off and given that the dealer and manufacturer have denied that there is a defect with my wife’s car the only redress we have is via the Motor Ombudsman or costly litigation.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - expat

What a fantastic advert for VW-not! I would be tempted to try and go public with this one, it makes an interesting story for the local newspaper and also the journals such as "What Car" or "Auto Express", who might be able to help, but I have no direct experience of that. But I do know, from completely unrelated experience that businesses absolutely fear bad publicity and this is your stick to beat them with.

About twenty or thirty years ago a group of disgruntled Canadian Ford owners formed the Rusty Ford Club and held meetings outside the main dealers on Saturday mornings. The press and TV were invited. After a few well publicised meetings Ford decided to assist them.

Its an idea Bazza, but i'm none too sure if some makers are in the least bothered about bad publicity, they can still sell as many of the things they make so why should they.

Short warranties, dismal lists of really quite serious and expensive problems on forums and in good/bad guides, dealers that apparently are not interested if what we read is typical, reported denial or pleading ignorance of regular almost economic scapping issues with solutions seemingly dependant on how much the customer jumps up and down, if repeat buyers maybe more inclined to get fixed i don't know?

Dieselgate, though hardly alone in that, nor some of the above issues and some Japanese makers arn't blameless here with their own serious issues too (eg certain Diesels self destructing, maker apparently not interested), and none of this matters because people insist on buying the things, and even when they've had their fingers badly burned they go straight back for more of the same.

Victor Meldrew, in character, in one of the OFITG programs commented after one general election (i suspect this was adlib and they left it in), it went roughly thus:- 'i still can't believe the result of the election, it's like letting a man eating shark teach your kids to swim, even though it bit the baby's head off last time we'll still give it another chance'', now whilst i wouldn't have agreed with the actor's own personal politics, that does seem quite apt here.

Edited by gordonbennet on 22/12/2017 at 10:50

Its an idea Bazza, but i'm none too sure if some makers are in the least bothered about bad publicity, they can still sell as many of the things they make so why should they.

Short warranties, dismal lists of really quite serious and expensive problems on forums and in good/bad guides, dealers that apparently are not interested if what we read is typical, reported denial or pleading ignorance of regular almost economic scapping issues with solutions seemingly dependant on how much the customer jumps up and down, if repeat buyers maybe more inclined to get fixed i don't know?

Dieselgate, though hardly alone in that, nor some of the above issues and some Japanese makers arn't blameless here with their own serious issues too (eg certain Diesels self destructing, maker apparently not interested), and none of this matters because people insist on buying the things.

My thoughts exactly!....could not of put it better!

"I'm just surprised that it is possible to spend £44,000 on a Tiguan."

Go check the RRP! It is possible to configure a Tiguan nudging £50K!

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - bazza

Yeas, you're into a battle of wits and legal proceedings with the Tiguan which might drag on for ages and even then you may nor have a satisfactory outcome. I would offload both to be honest, as life is too short to have an inaminate object such as a faulty car(s) drag you down. It's only transport at the end of the day. Trade them both in and get yourself a couple of Honda/Toyota/Mazda petrols, of whatever shape you desire and put it down to experience. You don't even need to buy new, a used main dealer car a year or 2 old will save you a fortune and serve just as well. Stick to petrol (although the Honda i-dtec is apprently excellent) for increased reliability. Good luck and wish you better motoring luck in 2018!

I am not worried about the GTD as my PCP term is due to expire in a few months. The Tiguan is a different prospect And I intend fighting this dispute until such time I have to accept defeat.

In responding to your comments regarding choosing a Honda,Toyota/Mazda. My research over the years and personal experience of Honda confirms that they are not completely without their problems and offering poor customer service. Its down to a matter of personal choice like most things in life.

The problem most of the time is consumer law and its interpretation is not transparent enough, it nearly always appears to be on the side of big business, because the onus is on the customer to prove a defect exisists.

I have to confess that the drivetrain noise that afflicts my wife's Tiguan is a common problem apparently across most VAG cars, although the demonstrator we drove and my Golf GTD does not exhibit any noise.

Credit where credit is due, on the whole my wife's Tiguan has been pretty much of a high standard of assembly, there are no squeaks, rattles or electronic issues, so its a shame that VW cannot sort out the NVH issues with their drivetrains!

Many thanks for your comments

I don’t think I said that problems with the Mecatronic unit are trivial. I said that the problems reported on the Audi forum seemed to be mainly with that unit.

I know that Mecatronic units are expensive to replace but I didn’t know quite what is inside them, so I’m grateful for the explanation.

One other point: somebody said upthread that allowing creep with the DSG gearbox promotes wear of the clutches. Is that right.? I’ve tried to get a straight answer from my dealer to that question and all I get is vague reassurances that it’s unlikely to have that effect. Another source said that Audi are bound to have thought of that and built in some protective mechanism. Ha!
IOne other point: somebody said upthread that allowing creep with the DSG gearbox promotes wear of the clutches. Is that right.? I’ve tried to get a straight answer from my dealer to that question and all I get is vague reassurances that it’s unlikely to have that effect. Another source said that Audi are bound to have thought of that and built in some protective mechanism. Ha!

There is no other way to provide creep than clutch slip. Yes the programming is designed to manage it; if the clutchpack gets too hot the gearbox will shut down; if the footbrake is touched then the clutch opens. First gear is pretty low so the clutch can in theory enage fully at quite a low speed, although I have noticed that ours is likely to change to second very easily if it "thinks" the car is being accelerated - I usually knock it into manual, 1st gear, for any manoeuvring.

I don't like reversing it into the drive as it is quite fiddly in our case - it's quite possible I am being overly cautious of course.

The programming has almost certainly been tweaked many times to minimise problems and improve driveability, but there is inevitably some trade-off between the two.

If ours is left in D with the handbrake on (we don't do that), it continues to tug against the brake. It does back off after a few seconds, presumably in the interestes of self-preservation.

Currently advertiesd in a well known publication, & they still want 8K for it........

"

Audi Q7 3.0 TDI S Line Quattro 5drPAN ROOF,FACELIFT,GEARBOXFAULT"
fairly sure Q7 doesn’t have the dsg?
fairly sure Q7 doesn’t have the dsg?

You may be right - certainly they are currently 'tiptronic' (Audi-speak for planetary/TC).

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - KB.

Currently advertiesd in a well known publication, & they still want 8K for it........

"

You conveniently omitted to say that the vehicle has 126,000 miles on the clock and that the same model/spec of that year could be advertised for anything up to £15,000.

Something of a pointless post that proves nothing, I feel.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Engineer Andy

"

You conveniently omitted to say that the vehicle has 126,000 miles on the clock and that the same model/spec of that year could be advertised for anything up to £15,000.

Something of a pointless post that proves nothing, I feel.

Rather sums up CK91437's contributions to this forum quite nicely.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - Listeria

I believe the problems experienced with VW group products and in particular auto boxes is a bi product of Deiselgate. They are having to find 16 Billion $ for the US alone, which means it will have been taken from the following areas

1 Customer service

2 Engineering R & D in particular Applications Engineering

I am aware that the various A/T were put on the market without the normal level of testing. It is a pity as VW group Auto's used to be both fuel efficient and reliable.

I believe the problems experienced with VW group products and in particular auto boxes is a bi product of Deiselgate.

There were major problems with DSG gearboxes long before dieselgate. I remember the day this came out in the press - I was in the middle of Germany at the time (September 2015)

I believe the problems experienced with VW group products and in particular auto boxes is a bi product of Deiselgate.

There were major problems with DSG gearboxes long before dieselgate. I remember the day this came out in the press - I was in the middle of Germany at the time (September 2015)

They've had problems with the auto gearboxes for longer than that. There doesn't seem any will to fix the issue.

I'm convinced it's deliberate de-engineering to reduce the longevity of the car.

A bit like rusty mercedes.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - KB.

I believe the problems experienced with VW group products and in particular auto boxes is a bi product of Deiselgate. They are having to find 16 Billion $ for the US alone, which means it will have been taken from the following areas

1 Customer service

I am aware that the various A/T were put on the market without the normal level of testing. It is a pity as VW group Auto's used to be both fuel efficient and reliable.

It's just taken me TWO CLICKS of the mouse to see, straight away, with no extensive digging or searching required, cases of DSG reliablity dated 2008. I couldn't be bothered to look for any more instances. How much thinking went in to the above post?

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - SLO76

1 Customer service

Been an ongoing problem since very soon after their introduction. I remember well a good friend of mine being landed a £6,000 bill to replace the ruined DSG box in his 2003 Audi TT 3.2 at less than 60,000 miles and 5yrs old. They’re overcomplex and no manufacturer that’s dabbled with them has managed to make them work properly.

Not a new thing, my neighbour bought a 60k 100CC auto estate, the first one boasting class leading aerodynamics, nice enough car.

Amazed you'll be but in short order the auto box died, and his warranty he discovered only covered the first £200 of the £1600 bill to fix it, i had pleaded with him not to trade in his (newer) Nissan Bluebird 2.0 litre Hatch which he'd had from new, and was, as most here would expect, completely bomb proof.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - masiv

For that sort of money I would be getting myself a Lexus. Oodles of kit, very reliable and their customer service would poke themselves in the eye if it made you happy.

If Audi VW group showed confidence in their product by extending the warranty on the automatic gearbox to 8 to 10 yeaars, I would have confiendce in buying one.

But they haven't

So that means no sale, as I shall not be buying one.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - alan1302

If Audi VW group showed confidence in their product by extending the warranty on the automatic gearbox to 8 to 10 yeaars, I would have confiendce in buying one.

But they haven't

To be fair though you probably won't be buying anything as you seem to dislike most makes! LOL Who would you recommend?

But they haven't

To be fair though you probably won't be buying anything as you seem to dislike most makes! LOL Who would you recommend?

Indeed.

I don't like buying expensive rubbish, if that's what you mean.

lol

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - alan1302

Indeed.

I don't like buying expensive rubbish, if that's what you mean.

lol

Who woudl you recommend? You seem to have something negative to say about many makes but have not said who you do like.

VW group (audi, skoda, seat, etc) - Automatic gearbox issue -y haven't they been fixed - expat

This actually is a major problem. There are very few options out there which do not have some problem. Dodgy diesels, DSG boxes, electric parking brakes, no spare wheel. My station wagon really should be replaced in the next few years but it is hard to see anything which doesn't have some problem.