Hyundai Santa Fe 2011 - Oil Filler Cap can't be removed - Durelli_tyres

Hi,

I have a 2011 Sata Fe that uses oil. I checked it yesterday, when it was around 0 degrees. It is low and I need to put oil in, but could't get the oil filler cap off.

The Oil Filler cap has a ratchet to prevet over tighteing. Attempting to remove it yesterday the top will turn easily but the cap itself isn't moving. It's as though the top is no longer connected to the bottom, the ratchet mechanisim is broken?

Could this be bcause of the temperature?

Any suggestions on what I do to take the oil filler cap off?

Thanks for any help.

D

Hyundai Santa Fe 2011 - Oil Filler Cap can't be removed - catsdad
there is a generic video on youtube.

Their approach is to lever off the top with a broad screwdriver and then use the same screwdriver to turn the remaining piece out of the filler hole. I have not done this myself so its at your risk. As in all "simple" jobs think it through before you start - for example be sure you dont crack the rocker cover levering against it too hard and don't drop bits of broken cap through the filler hole. Apologies if I am teachng you to suck eggs but its easy to make a small problem a bigger one!

This method will destroy the cap so you will need a spare to hand.
Hyundai Santa Fe 2011 - Oil Filler Cap can't be removed - gordonbennet

I expect a decent set of water pump pliers will break the top section off then you should be able to grip the actual top.

However i wouldn't try that until you've got a replacement top in hand, in the meantime if you take the oil can inside to warm the oil thoroughly by a radiator so it flows easily, with a suitable funnel and length of thin plastic pipe you should be able to top the oil up (this is how most old school automatic transmissions are refilled at service time), albiet slowly, through the dipstick tube.

Please tell us you've got a dipstick, if not is there a suitable breather connector in the rocker cover that you could disconnect and feed the oil in there.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2011 - Oil Filler Cap can't be removed - Fernando P

I would try pouring some almost boiling water over and around the cap to heat up where it fits, which might make it easier to remove without breaking it. Then, if necessary, find a replacement cap with a better ratchet connection. This method assumes the hot water will not cause a problem elsewhere.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2011 - Oil Filler Cap can't be removed - CK91437

or just top up through the dipstick hole as a temporary fix, until you get it sorted out.

Hyundai Santa Fe 2011 - Oil Filler Cap can't be removed - Peter D

Use a hair dryer to heat it up.

Regards Peter