Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - tourantass
Hi.. My son will soon be after a replacement motor, he requires a diesel because of the milage he does and would also now like an automatic but a Torque Converter type...there appears to be no such cars in the VW group (would have liked the 1.9 pd engine) Has anyone any sugestions,he will have approx £2000 to spend, he would like something with a bit of street cred not something his Dad (me) would drive.... thanks in advance.
Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - SLO76
I’d advise a rethink. I wouldn’t recommend buying a cheap diesel to start with never mind an auto, it’s very likely it would be a total money pit.

How many miles does he do in a year? Is it mostly distance or local running? Does he really need an automatic? When buying on a very tight budget like this you should keep things as simple as possible. Forget street cred until you have the funds to aford it. Avoid complex turbo diesel motors, stay clear of premium brands and buy basic mass market cars preferably from a Japanese brand.

Edited by SLO76 on 29/11/2017 at 17:05

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - RT

At £2,000 budget - he can't afford street cred - get something that's economical, cheap to repair and start saving for a better next car.

Older VWs used to use TC automatics with their diesels - the only ones now are the Touareg and Amarok.

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - RobJP

£2k budget, wanting a good, economical automatic diesel with street cred.

I'd suggest he needs to up his budget. If he sells a bucket of unicorn droppings then he's far more likely to have the money for something suitable.

In all seriousness though, he's well off the mark. Buying anything that is diesel, auto and 'popular' - such as an Audi A3 or VW Golf, or BMW 3 series saloon - at that budget is a recipe for disaster and expensive bills.

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - badbusdriver

Anything with 'street cred' is going to be either very old or very high miles. By wanting car car such as this with this budget, all you are going to buy is a whole heap of trouble and big bills.

Does your sone have to have an auto?, because if this is just down to choice, he'd be far far better off getting a smallish petrol car with a manual gearbox. Even if he can't actually drive a manual, depending on just how many miles he does, i'd still be thinking about petrol. Something like a '01-'05 honda civic 1.6 petrol auto. I don't think the economy benefit of a TC diesel auto over the civic would be as big as you think. You do get a 3 door version which, in the right colour and a set of 2nd hand alloy wheels, could pass for a type r. This would be about as close to having street cred as i can think of!. Here is an example of what i am thinking of.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20171020048...1

I think these have a TC auto, but i'm not 100% sure.

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - gordonbennet

Much depends on whether you and he can DIY the running repairs.

If you can then Merc Diesels take some beating and the gearboxes are excellent, but they require constant preventative maintenance and good regular servicing, if you're reliant on garages then this will be costly, if you can DIY then these vehicles can be run surprisingly cheaply, brake hardware for example will last the life of the car with a bit of maintenance because they are expensive long term designs, they won't in many cars which arn't so designed, they won't with an electric parking brake either.

In this budget rust is the biggie, because MB didn't get their act together until about 2007/8.

As above though, manual Honda Civic 2.0s model up to 2005 avilable in three door form too which is a much nicer looking car to be fair, no i wouldn't want one (so not this dads mobile) but my daughter who drive's like the devil himself is after her swore by her two which refused to break despite her best efforts, another left fielder would be a supercharged Corolla again manual, but the best bet i reckon would be a petrol Lexus is250 auto, if you can find one in budget.

Street cred is a funny old thing, much depends on which street and which inhabitants of said street.

Edited by gordonbennet on 29/11/2017 at 19:20

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - madf

My experience is that "street cred" if for people who believe what others think of them matters..

AT £2k a diesel auto is going to be a can of worms.. which might look good. IF you KNOW what to look for, you may find a bargain.. BUT it will be left side , something ignored and zero street cred..

(Being a cynical old git I warned my older son that buying a 10 year old low mileage BMW would be expensive. Two coil packs and a set of disks at front and rear later , he now knows what I mean.. I refused to do ANY diy on it)

Edited by madf on 29/11/2017 at 19:28

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - Ian_SW

The left side option would probably be a Volvo S-60, which there seem to be quite a lot of the early ones still about. More importantly, most of them, particularly the diesel autos will have been owned by the more 'mature' owner who never misses a service and still uses the main dealer when the car is 10 years old.

However there's still a large risk it will fail expensively in less 6 months. If the budget accounts for that, it's fine, but if the 2k car has to last at least a couple of years something small and simple is much lower risk.

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - gordonbennet

S60 in Diesel form is a very good shout, cheap as chips too where the estates are sought after, but it really wants to be a manual because the geartronic is a costly box when it plays up...only thing with a Volvo of this type you must dismantle the rear brakes and check the (drum inside disc) brake shoes, they delaminate and can seize the hub solid, easy enough DIY job but ignore this issue at your peril.

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - CK91437
I’d advise a rethink. I wouldn’t recommend buying a cheap diesel to start with never mind an auto, it’s very likely it would be a total money pit. How many miles does he do in a year? Is it mostly distance or local running? Does he really need an automatic? When buying on a very tight budget like this you should keep things as simple as possible. Forget street cred until you have the funds to aford it. Avoid complex turbo diesel motors, stay clear of premium brands and buy basic mass market cars preferably from a Japanese brand.

sound advice.........but it will probably be ignored by the op.

Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - Avant

Is he only licensed to drive an automatic? If he can drive a manual, it makes his choice so much easier.

Difiicult to give much helpful advice unless he tells us through you just what he thinks will give him 'street cred'. Whatever street cred may be, it's a personal thing. For me a Skoda has a far better image than a Vauxhall, but others may feel the exact opposite.

Hi..Thanks for all the advice...My son fancies the more relaxed drive to work and the driving in and around the city of sheffield, and the dreaded crawl through Glossop etc when he comes visiting us, an automatic would offer this. He does around 15000 miles a year, and loves the economy his current citroen c4 diesel (manual) gives him, so is reluctant to switch to petrol, but the citroen is slowly wearing out, He is also currently buying a house so that is impacting on available funds, I have recomended running his current car untill it is not cost effective to maintain, so really we are just doing some forward planning.
Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - badbusdriver
Hi..Thanks for all the advice...My son fancies the more relaxed drive to work and the driving in and around the city of sheffield, and the dreaded crawl through Glossop etc when he comes visiting us, an automatic would offer this. He does around 15000 miles a year, and loves the economy his current citroen c4 diesel (manual) gives him, so is reluctant to switch to petrol, but the citroen is slowly wearing out, He is also currently buying a house so that is impacting on available funds, I have recomended running his current car untill it is not cost effective to maintain, so really we are just doing some forward planning.

I can well understand your son wanting an auto for that kind of running. My own love of auto's started while working at a Saab dealer in Aberdeen from '90-'95. One of my duties was to drop off and pick up customers which often coincided with rush hour traffic. Driving an auto was just SO much more pleasant!.

But, unless your son can up his budget, it really wouldn't be advisable to go for a turbo diesel auto. And your son also needs to be aware that a torque converter auto is going to be noticably less efficient than it's manual equivalent, at least 10% thirstier, but possibly as much as 20%. This is the main reason for the rise of the single and dual clutch automated manual gearbox. On paper at least, they have at least the same mpg as the manual version, and in some cases, better mpg. And of course this has a knock on effect through emissions and therefore road tax.

Yep makes perfect sense but I wouldnt like to run one out of warranty..I suppose that is the attraction of PCP etc...but he doesnt fancy that kind of commitment...
Diesel Tc automatic with Street Cred - SLO76
I’d stick with the current car until funds permit a worthwhile upgrade, there’s no point on swapping one old car he knows for another old car he doesn’t. At his current budget petrol is the only way to go. I’d stick with manual too. Smaller Diesel engines don’t work well with automatic gearboxes, in fact I’m struggling to think of anything I’d recommend at any budget.

The Mk IV Golf or Passats 1.9 TDi up to 05 are probably the best but at this money they’ll be old and up in the miles, they’re also prone to a number of age related issues and require a timing belt every 4yrs at around £3-£400 which will no doubt be very overdue on any he looks at.

A car bought at £2k or less should be a distress purchase, a car you buy when your own is done and you must have a replacement. It’s unwise to flog a reliable old car to buy another old car that may turn out to be a bucket of bolts.
Hi..Thanks for all the advice...he has decided to stick with the devil he knows, and like many have pointed out...don't chance buying someone elses problems, he is going to try and save for something half decent, providing his current banger doesnt go chips in the meantime. Thanks again.