Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - DK1973

I'm looking for some advice please.

I have a 14 reg ix35 2.0 Diesel 4x4 with 50,000 miles on it, current value probably around £8-9k and wondering whether to hang on to it or replace with a petrol or hybrid hatch or estate. I do around 15,000 miles a year, combination of urban and regular long trips and need to carry a couple of sea kayaks (up to 60kg) on the roof. The ix35 is comfortable, but drinks derv and has cost me much more than I would have expected (brake discs, calipers and the inevitable TPMS valves snapping no matter how carefully you look at them!) plus the dealer is a long way away.

Short list is 2016 Auris Hybrid tourer (£16-17k at a Toyota franchised dealer and I'm not averse to an auto) or a 2012-2016 petrol Civic 1.8 (a fair bit less and I can get serviced locally). New Mazda 3 is out as will only take 50kg on roof.

Any suggestions - do I just run the ix35 into the ground or am I asking for DPF/DMF trouble here in the next few years?

Thanks in advance

Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - SLO76
"The ix35 is comfortable, but drinks derv and has cost me much more than I would have expected (brake discs, calipers and the inevitable TPMS valves snapping no matter how carefully you look at them!) plus the dealer is a long way away."

I'm assuming you paid for the brake callipers yourself because the dealer was far off? They would be covered under warranty if it has a dealer history. I'd be all for keeping it if it has the remainder of that 5yr warranty live as you've already taken the big hit in depreciation including the bulk of the drop which came from the new model hitting the used market so you won't save money even if the next car is substantially better on fuel. It's unlikely to go catastrophically wrong in the next few year too and there'll always be demand for a small diesel SUV. Offload before 80k or keep it til it drops.

If you must replace it then the two options you've listed are both well made and reliable. The Auris isn't at its best at motorway speeds where all you're doing is running a normal petrol motor with the added weight of the battery pack and an electric motor coming along for the ride. Around town they will save fuel but if the bulk of your usuage is at speed then I'd leave the hybrid as you'll be highly disappointed by the real world economy you'll achieve.

The Civic estate is a very good package and the 1.8 petrol is nearly indestructible, however the best engine in the range is the 1.6 diesel which is gutsy and capable of over 70mpg in the Civic. I haven't heard of any issues with this engine and not one case of DPF problems but it is still early days having only been around for 4yrs or so. Ours has been faultless to date. Clutches are a weak point on Honda diesels however so watch for judder when cold. Since the latest Civic has arrived these are now dropping in value quite hard but there will always be demand for a used Civic especially an estate. I'd have the diesel at 15,000 miles P/A. It's the best 4cyl diesel on the market currently.

Best thing to do is to arrange test drives in both and see how you like them compared to what you've got. There's no reason the Hyundai won't keep running to 150k and beyond so there's no rush.

Edited by SLO76 on 09/11/2017 at 20:33

SLO76 thanks for some really good advice; looks like “stick” for now. I’d been tempted by the hybrid as I do drive around London a fair bit as well, outside current congestion zone but within planned expanded zone,. Your comment on the electric motor coming along for the ride makes perfect sense. Will get some test drives in and work out the sums now - but as you say no rush.
Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - MGspannerman
Funnily enough I am thinking much the same way as the OP. I have a 63reg RAV4 2.2 diesel auto with 65k up now. I have recently renewed the tyres and MOT. The car has a full dealer service history and has never needed anything other than pads/tyres in addition. The warranty expires next spring.

I am weighing up the miles/ depreciation/ DPF & EGR/ end of warranty equation in considering when/if and with what to replace it with. Both the Auris tourer and Civic estate were on my list as I think it time to move on from diesel and a 4x4 is no longer needed, but carrying capacity is.

The Auris is somewhat more expensive as a newish secondhand car, hybrid is very cheap to run and I have had excellent experience with Toyota. Doesn’t set the pulse racing though. The Civic estate auto is more stylish and reliability as good, but actually not that much cheaper to run than the RAV4 in petrol form. Also some reports suggest there is a high level of road noise. A further thought is a Suzuki with the 1.4 booster jet engine and auto box, either in the Vitara or SX4 S Cross. However both are fairly new models and still expensive secondhand (ie 18k ish, v 13k Ish).

I think I have got to about the same place as the OP. I have lost more than I anticipated on the RAV4 thanks to diesel gate, the car is running well and there is no urgency to replace it. I will wait until the spring and reevaluate whether to change it. If I don’t then I think I will keep it for the long haul as it won’t be long until it is worth buttons and so no point in trading it.
Update after the last year... I got a good deal on a year-old Auris Hybrid estate. Very relaxing to drive and averaging 60 mpg - even on motorway and A roads. Definitely better than the iX35 and even good in the snow...
Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - corax
The Civic estate auto is more stylish and reliability as good, but actually not that much cheaper to run than the RAV4 in petrol form.

Looked at one the other day. Due to it's shape at the back it looks a nightmare to reverse, but I suppose everyone relies on cameras and parking sensors now.

Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - gordonbennet

Squarish Foresters must be one of the nicest vehicles to maneuver Corax, big square refreshingly unfashionable door mirrors too, no need for sensors or cameras.

Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - badbusdriver
The Civic estate auto is more stylish and reliability as good, but actually not that much cheaper to run than the RAV4 in petrol form.

Looked at one the other day. Due to it's shape at the back it looks a nightmare to reverse, but I suppose everyone relies on cameras and parking sensors now.

Not an issue unless you can't judge the size of your car and can't reverse using the mirrors. I've had no trouble reverse parking vans of various types and sizes (currently a VW Caddy) over the years, none of which have had rear windows, parking sensors, or camera's. So i am amused at folk moaning about the lack of rear visibility out of a car!.

Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - gordonbennet

The problem BBD is that so many car mirrors are now fashion accessories, utterly useless for maneuvering, hence why vans, 4x4's and the Subarus mentioned are such a pleasure to reverse with their sensible rectangular mirrors.

Worse car mirrors i've found were on Insignia, maybe good make up mirrors but for reversing no.

Hyundai ix35 - ix35 Stick or twist? - corax
Not an issue unless you can't judge the size of your car and can't reverse using the mirrors. I've had no trouble reverse parking vans of various types and sizes (currently a VW Caddy) over the years, none of which have had rear windows, parking sensors, or camera's. So i am amused at folk moaning about the lack of rear visibility out of a car!.

I just wait until I hear the crunch of metal/plastic, then I know some adjustments are needed.