Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - Mark McC

Hi All

Just got myself a 2009 petrol focus. I.m not messing about and taking chances so want to get everything done that needs done.
This is where i need your know how Im in the process of ordering a service pack, timing belt kit and a water pump. While pricing the water pump one seller mentioned that im going to need some other belts think he classed it as front accessory pack and didnt know if i needed one or two belts. Got no idea what he was on about and indeed if i do need it.

So my question is what is vital or advisable maintenance that i should be carrying out now before something goes ping.

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - Peter D

Exactly what engine do you have in the car. Regards Peter

its a petrol 1.6 16v

car overall condition pretty good

only 35k on the clock bought from second owner who had it 7 year

no service history though but seems an honest motor.

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - SLO76
You bought a car with no service history?!!! It might not have seen fresh oil in years and if so that 35,000 miles will have caused more engine wear than a well maintained example with 150,000 miles. Are there any receipts for oil and service items that prove the last owner was servicing it himself?

Did you check the Mot history to help verify that mileage? It's common on clocked vehicles to throw away the service book as the real mileage would be shown and considering it's less than half the average mileage you'd expect on an 8yr old motor I'd've been wary. Few people buy rep mobile models like the Focus to potter around town doing 4K a year.

As for the timing belt interval on the 1.6, it's 8yrs or 100k whichever comes soonest so I'd certainly have it done along with the water pump, tensioner, ancillary belt, and a major service including fuel filter, air filter, PAS and Brake fluid as none will have been changed or even checked in years if it has been so neglected. Was it cheap enough to justify this outlay? At a garage you're looking at £600 worth of work and that's if there's nothing actually wrong with it.

Now for the good news. The Yamaha designed motor in these is a good one, they're not known for snapping timing belts (though it does happen) but they don't take kindly to neglected oil changes which can cause terminal engine and gearbox wear.

How much did you pay for it?

Edited by SLO76 on 21/10/2017 at 00:36

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - JONATHAN_11_80

These engines need regular oil changes the timing belt is good for 10 years or 100k however some have failed earlier I had my 1.6 done at 6 years. The ib5 box is a sealed for life gearbox no specified oil change interval. However I changed my gearbox oil by sucking it out of the filler plug it's takes 75w 90 gl4 oil.

@sl076 Just read your post with that sinking oh s*** feeling.

Yeah no service history one stamp in book from 2011 apart from that no paper work.
mileage was at 8767 on that service and the car two year old.
I overlooked the no paperwork just based on a gut feeling from the owner. Everything he said fitted and came across as truthful and im not the gullible type. Still having said that he could well have been spinning me a yarn. Guy was a postie nearing retirement he took me to his work on the test drive it was two miles from his home.
I did check the mot history it had a couple of fails issue with headlights and tyres below legal limit advisories were related to worn suspension bushes but no excessive movement. I do feel the miles are gen the guy i bought it from got it at a year old and had it since he got all his mots at same place i even checked out the garage and it sells alot of high end cars. Speaking of mots i know the cars had at least 5 but there was no mot papers given to me I just dont think he was a guy who kept paperwork.

I paid 3 grand for it body is clear of rust and interior good. I did factor in cost of water pump timing belt etc
given worst case scenario and he didnt service the car would a mechanic be able to tell? would i be able to pick up on anything?

You mentioned an ancillary belt is that the one that drives the pump?

is it this one www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_drive_belt_kit...m

again thanks for taking the time and your honesty time will tell if ive bought a lemon hope to god i havent

Should be fairly obvious to a reasonably informed eye if it has never seen spanners. It's very possible he's been doing it himself or getting a mate to do it. They're not the hardest things to service and parts are generally cheap.

That's a timing belt and tensioner kit in the pic, the alternator belt is just a belt on its own.

It's not overpriced if the mileage is right and it had proof of regular fresh oil but i wouldn't have bought without a stamped up book or a load of receipts. Some people just don't service their motors at all, it gets an Mot and any repairs it needs to keep on the road but servicing is seen by too many as a cost they can dodge.

Why not contact the previous owner and ask about it? He's nothing to lose by telling the truth now. You never know, he might have a big folder full of receipts sitting in the house somewhere.

Best of luck.

Aye you read my mind just off the phone to the guy and again came across as totally genuine. His story is he never intenteded to sell the motor in his words he was driving it till the end of its life. So why sell ? the wife or more to the point the grandchild e.g we need a bigger boot im struggling to get the buggy in there.
on arrival he drove up in the focus and had shiny new honda crv in drive house was bought and he spoke about on street parking and why he had to extend his drive to accomodate two vehicles. So that said to me he had disposable income and hopefully not someone whos scrimping on car maintenance but its all gut feeling and i appreciate thats risky.

ford parts uk told me that was the belt i needed b***** better be

heres parts i ordered

aux belts

www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_drive_belt_kit...m

timing belt kit

www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_mk2_14_and_16_...m

water pump

www.fordpartsuk.com/shop/ford_focus_14_and_16_wate...m

ordered a service pack from them to but no fuel filter included as they said my cars filter was inline with something or other

my cars reg SE09ENH

Must be right enough then, if it's not then they'll take it back. Must be due to the air con pump... I sell em, don't mend em. As I'm sure my mechanic would be happy to remind me.

Signs of wealth at a sellers house are certainly a plus.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/10/2017 at 23:02

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - carl233

The sigma Yamaha unit such as this 1.6 tends to dirty its oil very quickly. We have one in our household although it is fitted to a Fiesta. Leaving the oil in for 12,500 miles as Ford suggest is too long in my opnion. We dump the oil between every 5-6k and oil is really very dirty after that small mileage.

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - Gibbo_Wirral

Guy was a postie nearing retirement he took me to his work on the test drive it was two miles from his home.

If he used the car for such a short journey, that's not good either.

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - John F

So my question is what is vital or advisable maintenance that i should be carrying out now before something goes ping.

I would just change the oil and filter if not done in the last 10,000m. Our 2000 Focus is nearly twice as old and three times the mileage of yours and its belts and all things driven by them are original and working just fine. It doesn't 'dirty its oil' unduly either - first I've heard of such a weird observation about this ubiquitous and reliable engine. The only things that have gone ping are the fuel pump and coil pack, both in the last couple of years.

If it works, don't mend it. If you do, you run the risk of making errors. The engineers designed this strurdy cambelt set-up to last the life of the car/150,000m - the 10yr 100,000m is precautionary. If you search for 1.6 Zetec cambelt failure, this is the sort of thing you will find.....

https://www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?t=92487

So a case of damned if i do damned if i dont

Personal preference is to try and prevent damage so i will get a malor service done and regular oil changes.

Im fortunate enough to have a good mechanic who hopefully wont make any errors.

fingers crossed eh

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - John F

PS - rust is more likely to write off your Focus than major mechanical failure, something that won't be attended to by your 'major service'. So get underneath, grease the brake pipes and wire-brush the subframe bits then protect them with some kind of gloop - Hammerite if you are feeling flush; old engine oil if not. Never let tiny rust spots e.g. at the seams of doors etc get a hold and spread like cancer. Gouge them out with a small screwdriver, paint with good primer and then touch-up. No garage ever does this stuff.

PPS - correction to yesterday's post - our Focus is clearly MORE than twice as old as yours!

Edited by John F on 24/10/2017 at 10:23

Ford Focus - maintaining 2009 focus - madf

PS - rust is more likely to write off your Focus than major mechanical failure, something that won't be attended to by your 'major service'. So get underneath, grease the brake pipes and wire-brush the subframe bits then protect them with some kind of gloop - Hammerite if you are feeling flush; old engine oil if not. Never let tiny rust spots e.g. at the seams of doors etc get a hold and spread like cancer. Gouge them out with a small screwdriver, paint with good primer and then touch-up. No garage ever does this stuff.

PPS - correction to yesterday's post - our Focus is clearly MORE than twice as old as yours!

Spot on. Our 14 year old Yaris has minimal rust following a similar regime,