VW Scirocco 2.0TDi - Stop Start in turbo diesel - Galad

I have a 2015 Scirocco 2.0TDi with start stop function. I've read that it is recommended idling a turbo diesel for a few minutes after a long motorway run to avoid damaging the turbo but how does this work with the start stop facility kicking in automatically when coming to a stop on the off slip?

VW Scirocco 2.0TDi - Stop Start in turbo diesel - elekie&a/c doctor

Manual gearbox? Try keeping the clutch pedal down on slow down and stop.

VW Scirocco 2.0TDi - Stop Start in turbo diesel - Bolt

is it not switchable on that car, some cars have a push button to disable the stop start with software option in the computer menu ?

VW Scirocco 2.0TDi - Stop Start in turbo diesel - Galad

Thanks. It's a manual. I'll check out how to disable it.

VW Scirocco 2.0TDi - Stop Start in turbo diesel - john radburn

I have seen it on a Passat were the stop/start function didnt operate because the engine sensors wouldnt let it operate.Even though you can disable it stopping but have to reset the button manually every trip

VW Scirocco 2.0TDi - Stop Start in turbo diesel - RobJP

The button for this (on a BMW at least, and I'd imagine it's pretty universal, these things usually are) is a capital letter A, with an arrow encircling it, and the word 'OFF' written beneath.

Reading the manual usually helps.

Failing which, googling 'VW start stop disable button picture' will give you the picture. Then you've just got to locate it in your car.

VW Scirocco 2.0TDi - Stop Start in turbo diesel - SLO76
I fully believe this feature is partly to blame for the rise in cases of turbo failure in modern turbo diesels. I can override it in our CRV either by disabling it or by keeping my foot on the clutch but if I allow it to work it'll kill the engine even immediately after it's been running at high speed which is a big no no on any turbocharged motor.

The fuel saving is vastly outweighed by the likely damage it's doing in the longterm and the extra cost added to the vehicle to start with. Plus the cost of replacing the heavy duty alternators and starters on cars with stop start is painful in the extreme. A good friend recently had £850 hoovered from his wallet by the local VW dealer to replace the alternator in his Mk VI Golf GTi! I regularly buy perfectly decent cars for less!!

Edited by SLO76 on 20/10/2017 at 21:58