Volkswagen Touran - Advice needed please. - Kerry Gibbard

My car conked out last Sunday. The garage it is in claims it has the wrong fuel in. This would mean that from when I literally filled the tank, my car has run for 10 days and over 80 miles on the wrong fuel. So I have two questions

1) is this possible?

2) if it is possible, would the recovery guy (who came Monday) , have been able to restart my car and take it out for a drive before taking it to the garage?

The ONLY people who say this is possible is the obnoxious t*t at the garage and his crew who have "over 25 years experience so we are qualified to make this call" (we also got the statement "I look out of my window and can see loads of cars so your business isn't really needed")

Ive have confirmation from the petrol station that it was indeed the correct fuel I paid for.

I just want my car fixed by someone I feel I can trust. Help please

Volkswagen Touran - Advice needed please. - Peter.N.

Is this a diesel that you have put petrol in or vice versa? What actually happened when it stopped?

Is this a diesel that you have put petrol in or vice versa? What actually happened when it stopped?

It's diesel with unleaded. I started it, drove a few yards and it just lost all power. I initially thought I'd stalled it, but when I tried to restart, nothing happened. Two different breakdown services came to me. One we called said it sounded like my campbelt had gone but found that to be intact, didn't know what else it was. The second guy, sent by the garage, said he got it started and drove it, but there was an issue.

Volkswagen Touran - Advice needed please. - focussed

It sounds like you need to take it somewhere else.

There is a good garage finder on this website, if you go to the top of this page there is a tab titled "good garage guide" where you can enter your location and other stuff and find a garage near you and view what other car owners think of them.

If the page software doesn't display that box because of your tablet or phone or whatever, the link to the page is:-

good-garage-guide.honestjohn.co.uk/

Volkswagen Touran - Advice needed please. - John F

....from when I literally filled the tank, my car has run for 10 days and over 80 miles on the wrong fuel. So I have two questions

1) is this possible?

2) if it is possible, would the recovery guy (who came Monday) , have been able to restart my car and take it out for a drive before taking it to the garage?

1) Yes

2) Yes

It would help to know how much diesel was in the tank when you added petrol. If there was plenty of diesel in the resulting mixture you might get away with just draining the tank and refilling with diesel. Any damage depends on how much lack of lubrication there was for the extremely expensive fuel injector pump bits. Doesn't sound so good that they have been exposed to 80 miles of poor lubrication. Still, you've nothing to lose by trying.

Thank you all for your comments.

My red light had been on since the previous day, so not much diesel left in it. The garage I got the fuel from have confirmed it was diesel not petrol that I put in so I have no idea where we go from here.

Volkswagen Touran - Advice needed please. - daveyjp

If you had filled with petrol from empty you would have been lucky to do 80 yards, never mind 80 miles.

You go to another garage where they understand diesel engines. PLenty of reason for fuel starvation on a modern diesel.