Transit/sprinter/daily. - Buying a used van, just off lease best? - mikeandvan

Looking to buy another van early next year, and rather than buy an expensive mistake again, I want to limit my chances of buying something with faults. I wonder whether its best to buy cheap and then fix any faults, or buy just off lease - about £12,000 + vat for a 3 year old Transit/Sprinter with a luton box. Who is best to buy from? Was thinking Van monster, they have mostly 3 year old vans with roughly 100,000 on the clock.

Transit/sprinter/daily. - Buying a used van, just off lease best? - SLO76
Last van I bought was an ex NHS lease VW Caddy from a VW van centre. They had plenty of stock, much of it had been with the NHS or Council and most were in good order. Vans are offloaded either at the end of a lease or when they're no longer economically viable so I'd buy only ex lease. It's there because it has been returned at the end of term not because it has issues. Pay extra up front for the best you can afford, preferably from a main dealer rather than buying trash you'll have to spend a fortune fixing every month.

Thanks for reply, this is how I'm thinking at the mo, due to having had to replace so many parts on my current van, living by the sea probably doesn't help, due to the salty air!

Transit/sprinter/daily. - Buying a used van, just off lease best? - sandy56

Just bought a IVECO DAILY from an independet dealer. The Daily is OK but lots of things not right. Not a good experience.

Transit/sprinter/daily. - Buying a used van, just off lease best? - badbusdriver

Does the van have to be one of the 3 you mention (transit/sprinter/daily)?, just wondering as i've just been browsing on autotrader and seen 2 2014 citroen relay luton vans, 3.5t gvw, 2.2 130ps. One is £9975 (44k) the other is £10500 (43k). There is also a 2014 swb fiat ducato luton with tail lift for £11750 with only 17k miles.

Well, the 3 I mentioned are known to be reliable, I'm not sure about Peugot/|Renault/Citreon, don;t know how good they'll be after the first 100k

Oh shame, whats wrong with it?

Transit/sprinter/daily. - Buying a used van, just off lease best? - badbusdriver

Oh shame, whats wrong with it?

?

I'm not sure what you are asking, but if it is to do with the price of the ducato (being cheap for age/miles) it is probably because of it being the swb. As a Luton, a swb is a pretty niche market. But could be a good buy if you don't need the extra space of a lwb.

As for reliability, although the rear wheel drive transit of the age you are looking at probably uses the old 2.4 engine, the 2.2 used in front wheel drive and later rear wheel drive transit's is the same 2.2 engine as the citroen relay/peugeot boxer and later versions of the ducato. I don't remember what engine the ducato I mentioned uses, but to clarify, if you see a ducato with a 2.3 engine, it's an iveco unit, but if it's a 2.2, it will be the same (PSA I think) unit as the others.

Soz, I was replying to another post. I'm not sure about the reliability of brands other than Ford/Iveco/Mercedes/VW. They could be fine, but I guess there's a reason there a fair bit cheaper. I know Fiat and Iveco are made by same company. But there's more to vans than just engines.