Tyre choice - Nomag

Front tyres on wife's Sorento need replacing.

Supplied with vehicle were Hankook Ventus Prime 2, size 235/60 R18

First set on front lasted 21k. I was lazy and didn't rotate.

Replaced with Nokian ZLine SUV. I'd been very pleased with Nokian winter tyres on my IX35 and also a pair of summer "Line SUV" that I have ran on it, but this particularly type were not available in the correct size for the Sorento.

Disappointed to say the Nokians on the Sorento have only lasted 12k on the front. Same drivers, same driving styles.

The Hankooks on the rear have another 3-4k in them (total mileage currently 33k).

I'm pondering what to replace the fronts with. The Hankooks are available at £128 each fitted. However, Michelin Cross Climate, which seem to be HJs answer to everything, are £152. The price difference is such that if these wear better than the Hankooks, it may be worth it, with the added bonus of them being all season tyres. Of course, I would have to replace all four if I went with the Cross Climates

I'd always thought of Hankooks as a mid range rather than a premium tyre, but the price now is up there with the premium tyres, ironically I could have had Hankooks for less than Nokians when replaced the fronts, but now the Nokians are cheaper by £ 10 or so. I wonder whether the Nokians are designed as a "sports" tyre and so wear quicker, they certainly have a very wide tread/grooving compared with the Hankooks

What are the BRs opinions?

Tyre choice - daveyjp
No opinion on brand or type, but If the rears only have 10% of their life left I'd change all four anyway. Its coming to winter and having four new tyres will be better than 2 with 7-8mm and 2 very worn ones.
Tyre choice - gordonbennet

We have Nokian ZG2's (almost identical to Line) on the Outback and won't be having any more, prone to punctures and wearing faster than i previousy thought, though no complaints about grip.

If you have a handy tyre fitter those Hankooks are around £100 delivered from TyreLeader, and prime stuff like Contis are not much more, i've had several sets of tyres from them and no problems yet.

If the Hankooks have done all you ask and the mileage is acceptable then why not do the same again, its always difficuly trying to guesstimate what mileage you might get from a certain tyres, as for those Mich cross climate thingies the recommendation pudding has been overegged slightly too much for me so i won't be complying.

As for tyre makes, i tend to search the usual tyre sites, Tyreleader Mytyres Camskill, Oponeo Tyrecomp (in no particular order), and when a decent quality bargain appears i hit the buy it now, i avoid Chinese if poss but also seldom buy Mich or Conti or high end Pirellis due to sheer cost, plus in the case of Mich have been underwhelmed for many years.

Edited by gordonbennet on 21/09/2017 at 19:13

Tyre choice - Nomag

Thanks GB that's really helpful. I've used Mytyres and local fitter in the past, most recently Blackcircles using one of their own fitters, it's convenient to have tyres delivered direct to the fitter but the prices are creeping up. That price of Tyre Leader is very good and will save me £20 per tyre fitted.

I'm tending to agree on the Cross Climate thing, I just can't quite believe the hype - and the tyres are significantly more expensive.

Tyre choice - NARU

Front tyres on wife's Sorento need replacing.

I bought myself an additional spare wheel for my Sorento, and put the same tyre on it as was on the car (mine came with Nexen RU1s).

I then swap the two fronts with the two spares from time to time. As the fronts seem to wear about twice as fast as the rears, I'm on target for all six to wear out at once.

+ I get full use out of all five tyres supplied with the car.

+ When its time to change, I can keep to a matching set

+ Rotation is easy - just swap the two fronts for the two spares

- Had to buy an extra wheel and tyre

- The spares don't have TPMS senders in them, so I get an alert on the dash (easy to ignore) and the TPMS sensors on the rear no appear on the display either.

- I have to buy six tyres when its time to change

Currently on 18,000. All six tyres have loads of tread left. Spares have done 10,000. Fronts have done 8,000. Rears 18,000.

Edited by Marlot on 21/09/2017 at 19:48

Tyre choice - nellyjak

I've recently put 4 new 16" Avon ZV's (reinforced) on my Estima..used Blackcircles and cost me a tad over £300 IIRC.

Tyre choice - Gibbo_Wirral

I use Avons too, found them to be quiet, good handling and long lasting. Buy from Blackcircles

Tyre choice - argybargy

I'm a big fan of Michelins, and bought nothing else for my previous car, the Focus. Lord Knows what the ride would have been like on cheaper tyres.

I've just had a Michelin fitted on the B Max to replace a Roadstone, which I'm told is a budget tyre of such mediocrity that it makes other budget tyres look good.

Tyre choice - Steveieb
My sons own work van has suffered six nail punctures in the last three months , each time non repairable.
This has cost £135 a tyre and he is wondering whether to downgrade to budget tyres instead of Bridgetone Van Co.
Lots of building work in the area which could explain things
Tyre choice - joegrundy

I have found the 'Asda' tyres site useful (who knew Asda sold tyres?)

You order them online and use a local fitter.

Wide range, keen all-inclusive prices,and my local fitter was happy to unercut their prices.

Set of four 225x45x17 was about £130 - yes, I know they're not the best, but they're EU rated, perform well for my needs and are wearing well.

Edited by joegrundy on 22/09/2017 at 16:37

Tyre choice - Engineer Andy

I would, before sourcing any tyres from a fitter or online firm, check out the Tyre Reviews website (www.tyrereviews.co.uk) as you can sort reviews by car, or tyre size or tyre brand 9though sadly not all three at once). You may get lucky (try seraching by car first, then by tyre size [you can go to rim size and with/profile though]) if someone or a few people have your car and have reviewed several tyres (summer, winter and all season) for it, or at the very least (when searching by tyre size) on a similar tyre/size of car. Look through as many differnent reviews for close matches as you can, as the overall review scores can be skewed if many of a particular tyre are fitted as OEMs to a particular make or model, or are used by 'boy racers' on their modded such-n-such which does ordinary drivers no favours. The 'driving style' and mileagae covered before each review is also given on user reviews.

You probably see by now that often one tyre that works well on one car does not on another, even though both are quite similar in terms of size/weight. specs and performance/handling. In my view, many so-called tests by car mags (Tyre reviews gives some themselves or relays others, quite often German car mags as well as UK ones) are done only on tracks, which aren't really representative of UK roads or real-life driving styles.

It still rings true that, for the most part, you get what you pay for, all other things being equal. A tyre thats mainly fitted to high performance cars will likely cost a lot, grip brilliantly but not last as much as a similar sized one fitted on mid-range hatches; the cheapo 'ditchfinders' will last a long time but are mostly no good in the wet and winter weather and will be very hard riding after a few months, or will be softer and not last long. In addition to the above, I'd also see if you can find an 'owners forum' for your car, which may have far more useful reviews, even if they are from abroad - you probably can find an equivalent UK spec tyre, especially if the owners' forum is in an English speaking nation.

Best of luck.

Tyre choice - Malcolm Goold

I have a 2013 Sorento and put Nokian Weatherproof on last November, after 8000miles, very little wear. I recommend them highly, much better than changing every winter and spring. Got then through Blackcircles and fitted locally by a national chain that cannot sell nokian.

Tyre choice - pinkpanther_75

I've run Michelin Cross Climates on my 4x4 Yeti for ~20k miles.

These replaced the OEM Pirelli p Zero Rosso's and have proved very adept in all conditions.

I previously used smaller wheels / winter tyres (Nov - Mar) and have found the Cross Climates as effective in snow / poor weather condtions.

I was fortunate enough to get them during a Cost-co offer, so worked out around the same price as standard (summer) tyres. Also don't miss jacking the car up and swopping over all 4 wheets twice a year.

Tyre choice - MGspannerman
My 63 reg RAV4 came with OEM bridgestones,235/55/18s. They were changed at 34k for Nexen RU1s. Specifically chosen due to their reputation for being quieter, the Bridgestones were deafening.

Now on 64k I have refitted with Nexen SU1s. I could have got more out of the old set but had not swapped back to front and with winter coming changed them with 2.5mm on the fronts and 3.5mm on the rears.

The SU1 tyres cost me £92.50 each from my local independent fitter but more importantly are quieter still, perhaps due to more tread, but also demonstrate more grip and a smoother ride. I am delighted with these tyres and will certainly buy the same brand as replacements.
Tyre choice - John F

Nexem for our Focus, cheap and cheerful, lasted 40,800m, swapped front to rear halfway through life. Replaced with Rovelo, c and c, just swapped front to rear after 18,000m, (slightly more tread now on front wheels for possible day or two of snow soon), lots of life left, ride is fine. I like to have identical tyres on all four wheels with about the same amount of wear.

Tyre choice - badbusdriver

Interesting to read opinions on supposed premium tyres, specifically regarding price. I have a relatively niche requirement for my van, but for those requirements, michelin and continental are no dearer than hankooks as mentioned by the OP. I need 196/65 x 15 with a 95 load rating, and i generally pick all weather tyres. The 4 michelin cross climates i currently have on cost £240 last October. Now admittedly the cheapest i could find them this morning (on ebay, where i bought mine), was £280, but the equivalent hankooks are £255. I can get continentals at the moment for just under £230.

I have to say, the michelins have really impressed me. A few years ago i bought a set of uniroyal rain experts and did not find them that great. Pulling away in the wet on certain sections of road they were very prone to wheelspin, whereas the michelins just grip and go. But as others have pointed out, different tyres produce different results on different cars, so it is really difficult to advise without direct experience on the same car as the OP is reffering to.

But if you are happy with the OE hankooks you should probably just stick with them.

Tyre choice - Engineer Andy

Interesting to read opinions on supposed premium tyres, specifically regarding price. I have a relatively niche requirement for my van, but for those requirements, michelin and continental are no dearer than hankooks as mentioned by the OP. I need 196/65 x 15 with a 95 load rating, and i generally pick all weather tyres. The 4 michelin cross climates i currently have on cost £240 last October. Now admittedly the cheapest i could find them this morning (on ebay, where i bought mine), was £280, but the equivalent hankooks are £255. I can get continentals at the moment for just under £230.

I have to say, the michelins have really impressed me. A few years ago i bought a set of uniroyal rain experts and did not find them that great. Pulling away in the wet on certain sections of road they were very prone to wheelspin, whereas the michelins just grip and go. But as others have pointed out, different tyres produce different results on different cars, so it is really difficult to advise without direct experience on the same car as the OP is reffering to.

But if you are happy with the OE hankooks you should probably just stick with them.

You're one the lucky people (or who've done their homework and deserve competitive prices) that have a car/van with some of the most popular tyre sizes - for example, my Mazda3's 205/55R16s are equally as popular, with well over a hundred summer tyres available, many winter and all-seasons (including the cross climates at not too much more than the standard summer tyres), the same goes for yours; on the other hand one slight change to the size spec (for example, the current Mazda3 mid-range cars use 205/60R16s), and as such there's only a handful available at a third to 50% more for essentially the same driving experience as the 55 profile versions.

In my view its all about supply and demand, plus a 'perceived sportiness' premium for any cars with 18in tyres, which is why I won't buy ordinary cars shod in such boots.

Tyre choice - SteveLee

Toyo Celcius a good "all season" tyre - works well in snow or sun. Can be had for around £40 a rim in small sizes coz they're not fashionable. These are not budget tyres despite the price - Toyo are a quality manufacturer.

Tyre choice - jamie745

I have Vredestein Quatrac 5's on the S-Type and considering the strain the rear tyres can be subjected to, they're going very well. Bought all 4 at the same time and after about 12k the rears still have 5mm left and the fronts have 6mm.

I'll rotate those this weekend and this set should go for a while. I'd rate this as very similar to the Pirelli P7 Cinturato's I had last time. I think the Pirelli's maybe lasted even slightly longer but the Vredestein's actually are very good in very cold weather.

Edited by jamie745 on 30/09/2017 at 00:09