5th Gear VW Touareg - Ben79
The presenter makes a big deal about the new VW having twin sun visors and lots of cupholders.

Lets not forget that the Citroen C5 did it before, and I doubt it was the first.

Just looked at the options list, height adjustable suspension, rain sensor, keyless entry, power closing of boot lid, nothing revolutionary.

Oh, the V10 engine, that won't sell well, so it doesn't count.

p.s. just seen a W8 Passat, whats the point in that then?

Ben
5th Gear VW Touareg - DavidHM
The W8 was a non-starter really. The original plan, possibly before the Phaeton came along, was to make a stretched Passat with big engines and modified front end styling as a rival to the E-Class and 5 series.

The platform became the Superb and the Passat got the revised front end at facelift time. Thankfully, the Passat Plus concept died a death apart from the engine that, once designed, might as well be built. Of course, it's thirstier and less refined than Audi's 4.2 litre V8, so it's not used anywhere other than in the Passat, which is of course unsaleable at anywhere near list (£30k).

As for the V10 - it will go nowhere in Europe, but it might just be the engine that introduces Americans to the idea of 'performance diesels'. Of course, Mercedes sold a diesel S-Class over there in the early 80s, which did okay, so maybe that's not such a bad idea after all. If the V10 was cheaper in Europe (£35k instead of £50k) it would do brilliantly, of course. Unfortunately the 5.0 as a £20,000 premium over the 2.5 in Germany - not bad for a car that only costs £28k to begin with.

I like the Touareg anyway, given the kind of vehicle it is. It's slightly less in your face than other 4x4s, seems competent, safe, spacious and good to drive - classy without being ostentatious.
5th Gear VW Touareg - Nsar
SAAB 9-5 had twin visors from its intro - very useful feature, but why no little visor above the mirror? It also has the sexiest cup-holder action of any car I've seen, it's why I chose one (sic)
5th Gear VW Touareg - nick
No money for a thing like this but I do like the look of it. If I was going to get one though it would have to be the V10. I love effortless grunt, if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly, not a teddy!
5th Gear VW Touareg - CM
No money for a thing like this but I do like
the look of it. If I was going to get one
though it would have to be the V10. I love effortless
grunt, if you're going to be a bear, be a grizzly,
not a teddy!

Hmmm. If you want grunt why not can the VW and go for the Porsche Cayenne Turbo instead?
5th Gear VW Touareg - T Lucas
I always thought the point of 4x4s was to be ostentatious,bigger and flashier=better!