What does this bit do? - Big Vern
I had the front drivers side indicator out of my 1.8 petrol 98 R Vectra (BTW it is the simplest way to replace the bulb, as the whole indicator is held in by a big grey clip) Behind the indicator is a black box that that connects into the air intake ducting on the dirty side of the air filter. What is this black box for??

I am interested as my ducting has come out and it is a struggle to get back in. The car seems to run ok with out it on, but for all I know it could have been disconnected since I bought the car!!

I doubt if Vauxhall would have the part if it was not required. If it does give some advantage it will be a pain to reconnect, I suspect I will have to remove the most of the front bumper to get enough movement to get it back on. So needless to say I am not keen to reconnect it just to see if I notice any difference.
What does this bit do? - martint123
Could it be the outside air temperature gauge??
What does this bit do? - Chris M
I don't think so. That sensor is in the middle behind the bumper.

Chris M
What does this bit do? - David Davies
I think the part you describe is known as an air intake resonator and its purpose is to reduce induction noise.
David Davies (Tune-Up Raglan)
I think the part you describe is known as an air
intake resonator and its purpose is to reduce induction noise.

I would suspect that you are correct. On the way home last night I had flash of common sense, I could use trusty gaffer tape to fashion a temporary seal from the ducting into this mysterious black box. I will post again if I notice any change.
What does this bit do? - SjB {P}
I think the part you describe is known as an air
intake resonator and its purpose is to reduce induction noise.

You are correct.

If you go to any of the boy racer Vectra web sites, you will read volumes about the 'three pipe mod' that involves removing this box in the belief that more ponies will be liberated, at the expense of more intake noise.
You are correct.
If you go to any of the boy racer Vectra web
sites, you will read volumes about the 'three pipe mod' that
involves removing this box in the belief that more ponies will
be liberated, at the expense of more intake noise.

I assume this is one of the three said pipes, pray tell what are the other two and what do they do with them?

I did a quick search on google for 'vectra three pipe mod' and did not find any relavent links.
What does this bit do? - SjB {P}
Well I told google to search for vectra+pipe+mod and as an example returned www.vxlscc-eos.co.uk/howto002.htm.

If you can tolerate the baseball hat on backwards brigade use of our wonderful language, the Miscellaneous thread on www.vectra-sport.com/ also has many posts on the subject. This was where I first heard of the modification, having stumbled across the web site whilst trying to find a cure for my car's extreme tyre wear.

Thanks for that

...... the Miscellaneous thread on www.vectra-sport.com/ also has.......

this site open with "This site is dedicated to the owners who are passionate about their Vauxhall Vectra's. " Laugh? I nearly fell of my seat!!

I guess I will not bother with the hastle of reconnecing this ducting, and continue hoping that nobody notices my closet baseball cap wearing habits

Thanks again