Buying a Second Car? - joegrundy

Those who followed my recent saga with my Jag x type (04, 174k miles) and its extended holiday in France will know that I had reason to contemplate scrapping it and buying a new car (Dacia was top of the list). I have lost some confidence in the old girl and don't know whether I'd trust her for a foreign trip again.

Another thought has occurred to me, which is buying another car while the jag is still running, so I don't get caught in that awful trap of buying a car quick because you have to (failed mot, terminal failure, etc.) and while I have the luxury of time and transport to drive around looking at alternatives.

(Mea culpa, once I start looking at other cars its hard to know where to stop).

If I buy a new car I will, realistically, need to lay out at least £1500 cash deposit and commit to mothly payments of £100 upwards a month - then in 3 or 4 years another payment of £2500+. I have been tempted.

But ... then I considered buying a (relatively) cheap car,, taking the time while the jag is running to get my indy to service it and get anything needed sorted, etc., so it was ready when (not if) the jag is finished.

Yes, there are extra costs in taxing and insuring two cars but these could be offset against the monthly cost (and depreciation) if I bought a new one.

I have seen this locally:

www.gumtree.com/p/suzuki/suzuki-ignis-1.5-4-grip-4...e

and am very tempted. It is well priced (per HJ) and looks to be a good genuine local sale, a very useful car here in rural west wales.

I'd be grateful for thoughts. I was thinking, if all checks out, of offering £900 and putting a set of cross climates on it as necessary. I could afford a punt on this without worrying too much if it didn't work out.

PS: Are these chain or belt? Woild have to check re this.

Edited by joegrundy on 11/09/2017 at 05:16

Buying a Second Car? - gordonbennet

That looks a decent enough little motor, MOT history isn't bad.

Sump replacement due to corrosion would see me scrabbling underneath the car for a good nosey first thing...though thats the first place i go with my usual car purchases anyway.

Most unusual car so i suspect scrappers will be extremely rare so something like a gear or transfer box failure would probably see it written off, but at the price if you get a couple of years out of it you'll be well in pocket and even if it fails the MOT it should still sell where you live as a cheap farm knockabout (you could get half a dozen sheep or a fair load of wood in the back), i'd give it serious consideration.

cambelt or not, its Japanese, the belt will be infinitely easier to change than almost any european east west engined design, that wouldnt worry me one bit.

Edited by gordonbennet on 11/09/2017 at 08:55

Buying a Second Car? - badbusdriver

Good hardy little cars these ignis's (igni?) are, if a little unrefined. Just been looking through the owners reviews on autotrader who rate it 4.4 out of 5. One review points out that it is chain not belt, though as SLO says, the benefits of this are only valid with proof of regular oil changes as per service schedule. Another review suggests that the 4x4 system is 'on demand' whereas your advert says permanent 4x4?. But going by the pictures, it looks worth going to see at least.

Buying a Second Car? - daveyjp

For that price and the honest write up definately worth an hour of my time having a look. IIRC the 4x4 system is viscous coupling - normally FWD, but if grip is lost power is available to the rear wheels.

If the body is sound I doubt there is much mechanically which can't be fixed with a basic tool kit.

Buying a Second Car? - badbusdriver

This era of ignis had quite a confusing line up, with 2 completely separate (though vaguely similar looking) bodies.

The smaller version was available in 3 or 5 doors and for the most part had a 1.3 engine available with manual or automatic. There was also the ignis sport, which was 3 door only and came with 1.5 engine (and manual gearbox) producing 107bhp, which, as it was very light, resulted in brisk performance. Their hardiness made them an ideal choice for junior rallying classes.

The bigger body, which is what the 4grip uses, was 5 door only and usefully bigger all round. It could be had with with the 1.3 as a manual, or the 1.5 for fwd automatic and the 4grip.

One of my customers, an elderly gent, recently bought one (larger body, but fwd) after his ageing vector and got to the point where repairs were not worth doing. He has had it for about 6 months now and is very happy with it.

Buying a Second Car? - Andrew-T

And of course if it survives your ownership unscathed, you might even make a profit ....

Buying a Second Car? - madf

Check MOT history

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

Buying a Second Car? - barney100

Insurance can be high on a new policy but you could insure the Jag as a low yearly mileage which may help. I got a second car for work yeras ago and the insurance was v steep to start with.

Buying a Second Car? - SLO76
"If I buy a new car I will, realistically, need to lay out at least £1500 cash deposit and commit to mothly payments of £100 upwards a month - then in 3 or 4 years another payment of £2500+. I have been tempted."

PCP's are rarely the cheapest way to finance a car. The interest rate is almost always higher than a bank loan which can be found for as low as 2.8% APR currently. Instead of a 3yr PCP take a 5yr loan at the much lower rate then settle up the balance on year 3 if you want to change it (same as a balloon payment on a PCP) or keep paying it and keep it. The only time a PCP makes sense is if it's subsidised by the manufacturer.

As for the wee Suzuki as a second car. Well they're mechanically robust but they rot underneath, with the fuel tank and filler both common Mot failures and a new tank is very costly while used ones are usually rotten. With little value in them it's the most common reason for scrapping these but the 4wd is worth spending the money on as it's always sellable as a winter hack. Watch out for farmers wives cars which are often rusty as hell under the baked on muck.

I agree with the thinking though. We always ran older cars until recently. The freedom from monthly payments and the worry of carpark scuffs and scrapes is a great relief and it can be done reliably.
Buying a Second Car? - meandering

Would it not be simpler and much cheaper to hire a car for a week or two as required?

Buying a Second Car? - Avant

It would indeed if Joe were only going to use it for his holidays: but I would imagine that he would use the cheap car as an everyday runabout, and keep the Jaguar for longer journeys.

That should help to prolong the life of the Jaguar which he is understandably fond of.

Thanks for the comments and thoughts.

The ad has now gone, so I assume it's been sold - one less decision to make.

I need to do more research on the costs of this idea, particularly insurance, and then perhaps go for something mainstream e.g. a Fiesta or Focus.

Thanks again.

Buying a Second Car? - Karter

Insurance can be high on a new policy but you could insure the Jag as a low yearly mileage which may help. I got a second car for work yeras ago and the insurance was v steep to start with.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Things change. And friends leave. Life doesn't stop for anybody.” - My pocket girl apk

Buying a Second Car? - John F

Those who followed my recent saga with my Jag x type (04, 174k miles) ............ I have lost some confidence in the old girl and don't know whether I'd trust her for a foreign trip again.

A well known fault has been remedied. You know her even better than you did before. So logically you should have as much if not more confidence in her as you had before you left for France. And you now have valuable experience in dealing with anglophobe opportunist French mechanics.

(we were still taking our old Passat with >200,000m on the clock to France last century)

Edited by John F on 14/09/2017 at 15:20

Those who followed my recent saga with my Jag x type (04, 174k miles) ............ I have lost some confidence in the old girl and don't know whether I'd trust her for a foreign trip again.

A well known fault has been remedied. You know her even better than you did before. So logically you should have as much if not more confidence in her as you had before you left for France. And you now have valuable experience in dealing with anglophobe opportunist French mechanics.

(we were still taking our old Passat with >200,000m on the clock to France last century)

You make a very valid point. The fault has been recttified - and further, she;s been 'checked over' (as far as you can) by my indy. No reason at all NOT to have confidence in her. And reading some of the stories of problems with cars only a few months old (and expensive cars, at that) I am probably in a better position than many.

I have a couple of trips coming up - a 300 mile round trip to a friend for the purpose of drinking beer, and a 600 mile round trip to daughter where not so much beer will be involved, and will see how those go.

The experience of breaking down in France did teach me something. Even with a superb recovery insurance policy and being on my own (no wife or kids to worry about) and with a working knowledge of the language, I felt very vulnerable. It was a bit like when I lived in Cyprus (05-10) you knew that if there was an incident you - as a foreigner - were automatically to blame. This is a shame, because I enjoy driving in France. My routine for the last few years has been a fast blast down to Andorra, then 10 days or so on back roads back up through France, staying in small towns and villages. They are disappearing as we knew them, and I felt a change in the attitude (even when I played the payes de galles card).

Back to the car - she;s going as well as ever. I've looked at the scrappage schemes (not as good as they appear when compared to broker prices) and for now, I think, I'll keep her going and keep my money in the bank.

PS: There is now no doubt in my mind that Pierre le merde mechanique was bent as a 9 bob note.. And what a position to be in - exclusive contract for recovery from the autoroute, mandatory payment for ;diagnostic work' if he didn;t do the repairs, and at minimum a 'storage charge' per day until the car was recovered. I have not told the rescue people what the problem was, or how it could have been sorted with one hour labour at roadside.and don't know if it would do any good if I did so. I have a feeling that while they make a profit on this type of insurance, they are quite happy. Just seems a bit wrong to me.

Edited by joegrundy on 15/09/2017 at 08:56

PPS: But will keep my eyes open for that 'ideal' used car bargain ....

Buying a Second Car? - John F

A well known fault has been remedied. You know her even better than you did before. So logically you should have as much if not more confidence in her as you had before you left for France.

You make a very valid point. The fault has been recttified - and further, she;s been 'checked over' (as far as you can) by my indy. No reason at all NOT to have confidence in her. .......

PS: There is now no doubt in my mind that Pierre le merde mechanique was bent as a 9 bob note.. And what a position to be in - exclusive contract for recovery from the autoroute, mandatory payment for ;diagnostic work' if he didn;t do the repairs, and at minimum a 'storage charge' per day until the car was recovered. I have not told the rescue people what the problem was, or how it could have been sorted with one hour labour at roadside.and don't know if it would do any good if I did so. I have a feeling that while they make a profit on this type of insurance, they are quite happy. Just seems a bit wrong to me.

I think he should be reported to virtually every organisation available. The fault was immediately diagnosed by pd merely on the history! Such incompetence/crookedness is why insurance premiums are higher than they should be. Goodness knows what the total bill 'CallAssist' had to pay out. I am sure they would be pleased to know.