Ford Focus mk2 1.8 tdci - White smoke on start up - Shakir

Hi all, exhaust emits white smoke from exhaust on starting up which dissipates after 50 - 60 seconds. It's not dependant on the weather however I've noticed it's when the car has been stood after a couple of hours, obviously more noticeable on start up first thing. It doesn't happen when driving either. I've checked the coolant & oil levels and there's no leak or its not dropping rapidly. The smoke is white / greyish not thick and like I said quickly dissipates, there is a smell which I think smells like deisel. On start up it doesn't misfire and no revving on idle, it is a bit sluggish first thing In the morning as I've read that's normal for a deisel as it needs to warm up, turbo Isnt making any noises either. Spoken to a few mechanics & they say its condensation, have seen water dropping which stops and doesnt leave puddles. Can't put my finger on it, seen other posts re: other deisel cars which have experienced this but whilst there's a common trend there's no common solution it appears.

Any advice welcome thanks.?

Edited by Shakir on 10/08/2017 at 09:11

Ford Focus mk2 1.8 tdci - White smoke on start up - RobJP

If the car isn't going through oil or coolant, and the white smoke stops after a minute or so then yes, it's probably condensation. The fact that it smells of diesel a bit ... well, it would, it's coming out of an exhaust pipe with a load of burnt diesel fumes.

Dont't worry about it - continue to keep a close eye on coolant and oil levels, but that's about it.

Ford Focus mk2 1.8 tdci - White smoke on start up - elekie&a/c doctor
White smoke on a diesel is likely to be Unburnt fuel.www.dieselsmoke.com.au/
Ford Focus mk2 1.8 tdci - White smoke on start up - Shakir

Thanks, will monitor the oil & coolant, someone has recommended using Forte diesel cleaner so will give it try. I'll post an update after using it.

Update- Ford Focus mk2 1.8 tdci - White smoke on start up - Shakir

After seeking the opinion of a few mechanics we think we've narrowed this issue down to a dodgy fuel injector, no 3 is full of dirt and looks like someone has had an attempt at it previously. I was advised to buy an injector of eBay, as it's cheaper. My question is if I do, a) do I need to buy any seals or anything additional to fit the injector too, b) and will the injector need reprogramming or is that for earlier version of Focus as mine is 07 & c) if I buy the injector brand new, do I buy seals separately or do they come with the injector?

Update- Ford Focus mk2 1.8 tdci - White smoke on start up - hardway

You'll need an injector seal/heat shield and possibly the seat re-cut.

These engines can have bad seats and that can cause a lot of problems.

Update- Ford Focus mk2 1.8 tdci - White smoke on start up - Shakir

Just thought i'd share an update on this, I've had some work done changing on injector and replacing a seal from one of the leak off pipes. 5 months later the smoke still appears but what I've noticed now is that the car misfires when accelerating hard in 2ng gear only, that misfire has been there since I bought the thing I've just noticed more recently for some reason.

Any thoughts on what it could be?