Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Jakboy

Hello, looking for advice. My wife has owned from new a CX-5, 150 sport manual, registered Dec 2012. She has used this to travel to work, 30 miles each way, mostly motorway miles at high speed. Given her type of usage she has had no Dpf problems and no issues except having the EGR replaced under warranty at about two years old.

Last week, at just over 80,000 miles she had the engine warning light come on when on the way home. Her local Mazda dealership told her it was safe to drive and booked her in for a diagnostic a week later. I advised her not to drive it and she did not.

Yesterday I followed her to the dealership, at about 7 miles, with 4 miles to go she suffered total loss of power, and had to coast to the side of a very busy dual carriageway and just managed to stop the car at the beginning an exit slip road. I turned back to pick her up and the car was very quickly recovered to the local dealer. I understand the low oil pressure light came on and she felt a distinctive clunk and loss of power when it did.

The dealer has advised the engine has been removed and they are involving mazda. I am a frequent lurker here and at other motoring sites and have been warning her about imminent dpf issues amongst other things, but she has always thought her driving style meant she would be safe from such issues. From my own investigations I am thinking engine written off, probably due to blocked Dpf resulting in engine oil being contaminated with diesel hence low pressure light. Obviously until they come back to us this is conjecture, but can anyone one offer any advice if this turns out to be the issue? A 4.5 year old car with full dealer service history surely can't be fit for purpose if the engine fails like this.

Any thoughts or advice is welcome.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - craig-pd130

Sorry to hear about the problems. I'm fairly sure Mazda will simply point to its warranty terms and say that the car is well outside the warranty period, and try to wash its hands of the problem.

Your best bet to try and get some sort of goodwill contribution from them is to lean heavily on the full dealer service history, and express your "disappointment that the vehicle fell a long way short of the quality and reliability that you expected from a manufacturer such as Mazda, especially after having the car meticulously maintained by a main Mazda dealer in full accordance with the servicing schedule. The engine should last the life of the car - i.e. at least 6 years - with no more than routine servicing."

You need to do this directly with Mazda UK customer services, by the way, NOT with the dealer. Only Mazda UK can authorise any goodwill, and you can't rely on the dealer to fight your corner, no matter how well you know them. Good luck with it.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 22/06/2017 at 13:41

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - SLO76
Nightmare situation! The car is a year and a half out of warranty and has covered 80,000 miles so it's no longer the manufacturers responsibility.

All you can argue for is a goodwill contribution because it shouldn't have failed at this stage and you can prove that you have maintained it correctly. However Mazda will most likely simply say that the engine needs replaced rather than attempt a repair and even with a decent contribution a new factory supplied and dealer fitted Diesel engine will be cripplingly expensive.

Sadly there's little you can do except bite the bullet and accept the bulk of the cost of a new engine, a used motor could suffer the same (sadly all too common on these) failure and rebuilding the old engine is unlikely to be successful. I would only look into a used engine if you intend on selling it immediately afterwards while it's still running.

Sorry to hear of your situation. This engine has developed a rather nasty reputation for problems and you're not the only example of this.
Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Stanb Sevento

I would be disapointed with Mazda if they didnt sort this for you, it simply should not have happened. You will just have to wait and see. Im not convinced by your DPF theory, for that to be the case a whole series of things would have to have gone wrong. Repeated regeneration failures should put the DPF light on not the engine light and this should happen long before there is enough fuel in the oil to cause a problem. If you interupt a regen by slowing down the ECU should stop injecting the extra fuel right away, only by coming to a stop very quickly do you risk fuel in the oil. I dont know exactly what system Mazda use but on my car if your speed drops below 38mph during a regen the extra fuel is stopped but the EGR valve stays closed to keep the DPF temperature up so that when you speed up the regen can continue.Not much risk of fuel in the oil.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Manatee

I suspect this is one of those engines that does accumulate diesel in the oil by design (as does my Outlander's) and has a mark on the dipstick beyond which the level must not be allowed to rise. Were was the oil level?

If you have done your part, and the service history is there, I would be hoping/pushing for a major contribution.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Wee Willie Winkie

Sounds a little like my experience with my 59 plate Mazda 6 2.2d. No problems with the DPF and oil checked regularly - level always fine. One day, coming home from work, my oil light came on. Oil level checked - absolutely fine. Car was recovered to the garage who discovered the gauze on the oil pick up filter was completely blocked with crud, starving the engine of oil.

My cost to fix was low - £200 - to drop the sump, clear all the crud and put back together again, but with no guarantee all would be cool and the gang. Turns out it was.... car was part exchanged shortly after.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Avant

We hear so many tales of woe on here about Mazda diesels, and even more woefully Mazda's reluctance to help. But this is a newer one (2012) than we usually hear about, which seems to have similar problems as it reaches a high mileage.

Unles there's some evidence that Mazda diesel engines have been redesigned so as to last a normal lifespan, we must recommend that if you want a Mazda, get a petrol one. These seem to be excellent in terms of reliability, although the one I test-drove (2.0 litre in a CX-3) had very little torque and didn't suit my style of driving.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Wee Willie Winkie

It may be a 2012, but it should have the same diesel engine as the older 2.2 engines fitted to the 6 and CX5. The newer engines came, I think, with the introduction of the new 6, in 2013.

Thanks for that. We await with interest to see what happens when these 2013-onwards cars reach high mileages.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Fred de Waard

A salutary lesson in service failure - my 2013 CX5 diesel was purchased for highway travel with expectations of a long engine life for that type of use. 4 years of good service with only one glitch that required all hoses with the turbo to be replaced (done under warranty as this occurred within a week of a scheduled service having been carried out).

Faithfully serviced (at the Mazda premium service charges rates) for the four years with Mazda service every 10,000 kms. At 180,000kms - 2 weeks before a scheduled service the engine started intermittingly losing power for a short period - no warning lights came on. I took note to mention this at the dealer for the upcoming service that had been booked. The Friday of the week before the scheduled service the engine lost power, went into limp mode and displayed warning lights that the engine temperature was critical. I parked the vehicle, inspected the engine and found to my horror that there was no coolant in the overflow tank - INCREDIBLE - a premium vehicle was unable to warn me that the coolant level was compromised until it totally run out!

Got the car to a dealer who gave me the news - needs a new engine and Mazda will not accept any responsibility. Massive fail and, as a long time Mazda vehicle fan, I have lost any respect for this brand even though I absolutely love driving their vehicles.

I also have a 2011 Mazda 6 with the same diesel engine and it is currently on 240,00kms and still going well apart from the exorbitant cost of an airconditioning compressor replacement when its bearing started to go - the exorbitant cost being because there was no after market alternative to the genuine Mazda part so the Mazda premium came into play.

I had reasonable expectations when I made the purchase of my CX5 that I could expect upwards of 350,000 kms out of the engine with regular servicing as it was a diesel engine - the reason I paid a premium for the vehicle. Seems like that is no longer a respectable expectation that can be made of Mazda diesel engines - despite faithfully adhering to their recommended servicing regime. Sad, disappointed and disillusioned.

The dealer said I could take the matter up with Mazda as sometimes this changed the outcome of requests - I think not... I rely on the dealers to be my intermediary with Mazda - that is their role. The dealer will not provide me with Mazda's reasons for denial of a warranty claim made by the dealer (who incidentally has another CX5 on their workshop hoists with the same issue) - transparency? total lack of.... Massive fail Mazda.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - madf

Is this a windup and not serious?

But assuming it's not a windup, I will answer seriously:

"At 180,000kms - 2 weeks before a scheduled service the engine started intermittingly losing power for a short period - no warning lights came on. I took note to mention this at the dealer for the upcoming service that had been booked"

DId you open the bonnet to check oil or water after this problem or just continued driving?

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - skidpan

In the UK the Mazda warranty is for 60,000 miles (100,000 km approx) You had done almost twice that. You can forget amy contribution form Mazda.

What I read is that when it lost power and no warning lights cam on you simply carried on driving. If that is correct you should learn form your expensive lesson. The car was trying to tell you something, you ignored it and killed it. If you feel unwell do you simply ignore it or go to the Doctors, the Mk 1 human body has no warning lights.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Steveieb
Be interested to learn if the latest CX 5 diesels suffer the same problems detailed in the threads or have Mazda at long last sorted the problem ?
Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - pd

I suspect this will be down to the oil pickup being blocked and the engine starved of oil

Seems to be a common failure on this engine which, in true Mazda fashion, they will deny all knowledge of.

Mazda may make the odd decent petrol (apart from the ones which rust) but their diesels have been giving grief ever since the original 6 and Mazda's response and customer service abysmal in every single case for over a decade.

The jury on the later diesels is out but there are other car manufacturer's out there so why take the risk?

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Engineer Andy

I suspect this will be down to the oil pickup being blocked and the engine starved of oil

Seems to be a common failure on this engine which, in true Mazda fashion, they will deny all knowledge of.

Mazda may make the odd decent petrol (apart from the ones which rust) but their diesels have been giving grief ever since the original 6 and Mazda's response and customer service abysmal in every single case for over a decade.

The jury on the later diesels is out but there are other car manufacturer's out there so why take the risk?

Put it this way - I'm a big fan of their cars generally (and I've owned a 3 since new that's now 12 years old with very little in the way of issues) and I wouldn't go near a Mazda diesel, even a new one, even if I needed one for high mileage driving. I'd probably end up with a Honda if I did - I won't compromise on reliability.

What's noticeable (to me at least) as well is how many very new cars (as well as the Sport models shod on low profile tyres) seem to find their way very quickly back onto their forecourts compared to the petrol-engined cars - even before 'dieselgate' (much more after that) there was always more of them for sale second hand than petrols, on all cars except for the Mazda2.

To me, that doesn't inspire confidence in the quality of the diesel engines they use, and/or perhaps the advice their sales agents give, e.g. about not buying a diesel-powered car for use predominantly on short journeys or the ride quality of their range-topping sport models on low profile tyres (often another regular complaint, mentioned in HJ's reviews). I've also heard many tales of people being given the brush off by Mazda UK (the dealerships are [IMO] variable, some good, some not so much) when problems arise, even if they have a full main dealer service history.

If I were Mazda, I'd, if possible, change their source of diesel engines from the current lot (Ford/PSA for the 1.5 [variant of the 1.6 - 'diesel-of-doom'], not sure who makes the 2.2 for them) to another make with better reliability (their performance seems to be fine), e.g. Honda. They're having a tie-up with Toyota to develop hybrid petrol engines, so its not as though having a deal with a local rival isn't out of the question (though might be if the price is too high).

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - xtrailman

The CX-5 2.2 isnt the same engine as the older 2.2, and i have never read of any of the old cars problems on the skyactive engines, no oil pick up blockage due to leaking injectors for example.

I'm on my second cx-5 diesel, my first 2013 car was one of a batch with in a certain Vin range that could have a prematuring cam, or brake vacuum pump, when my car went in for its second service, the garage said the vacuum pump had been checked due to a campaign prompted by Mazda to check for premature wear.

Mine was found out of tolerance so had to be changed, it was after this that i lost confidence in the long term reliability, so looked at other alternatives, sadly no other car ticked my boxes so i bought a 2015 cx-5 2.2. So far at over two years its been faultless.

I do get a little oil rise, but not as much as the 2013, but both sump levels were nowhere near the X mark that denotes immediate oil change due to possible oil dilution leading to low oil pressure.

The sump level on this engine needs to be checked weekly IMO, also the oil should be changed at 7K miles not 12.5K that the mazda schedule says.

I only do 7K a year, so mine is changed every year. My driving is 90% local, the rest towing a caravan of 1700kg.

Any engine oddity should be investigated immediately, don't continue to drive and hope for the best, Mazda do not fit a engine coolant gauge.

If you are unlucky enough to buy an early car, theres a good chance that the cam or brake vacuum pump will give wear leading to metal blocking oil ways, leading to among other things two turbos to replace, the cx-5 is a great engine i just love mine, but you need to understand its weak areas.

I will add though that low water levels are by no means common.

And an owner of a 2017 reports no oil rise issues on his car with over 8K miles, he his a mechanic who had a 2015 car that did have some oil rise, as do a lot of other diesel engines from other makes.

Mazda are really good with contributions to known problems, but only if you have main dealer services.

Edited by xtrailman on 11/03/2018 at 12:56

Doesn't sound good that they have to have oil changes at far lower mileages than Mazda recommend (more like those recommended in the 1980s - 1990s), but if it works...

If I were Mazda and it was proved that the vast, vast majority of the problems went away by more frequent oil changes and telling owners to check their car's oil level weekly, then its far better to fund the extra oil changes rather than have to fork out £Ms for engine changes or suchlike, and the loss in confidence (and presumably sales) in the brand (especially their diesel-engined vehicles) over the longer term, especially with their new petrol engine design coming on stream next year or so. They don't have Ford to back them up financially any more.

I would also say that, other than for a reasonable amount of towing and regular long (20+ mile each way at least twice a week on fast-flowing roads) trips for more than 20k miles pa, they should be strongly recommending ALL punters go petrol engined cars and put it in writing to demonstrate that, plus indicating they cannot honour the warranty if its used on predominantly short journeys where the DPF will inevitably get clogged on a regular basis and break after a relatively short time, costing a fortune to repair or especially replace.

I think too many dealerships, across most, if not all makes, whether sanctioned by HQ or just 'enthusiatic' sales staff doing anything to reach a target or just not doing their homework, need to get a grip on the poor information given about what diesel engined cars are designed for and the problems owners will almost certainly face if they use them for low mileage driving for short trips.

I agree that, unlike with HGVs, very little has been done by car manufacturers to ensure that active regens are done when its convenient for the owner as well as the car, let alone if they know at all if one is being done when using it and having advice what to do, but many of the problems associated with diesel car use have been known, perhaps since they changed over to common rail engines with emissions reducing technology, and probably about 90% of the knock-on effects could've been avoided by just being realistic (including by both the authorities [EU, national governments and industry organisations, etc] and manufacturers) about the real world emissions of diesel cars from a few years ago and not 'allowed' defeat devices and punters to be conned into buying cars not fit for purpose just to pretend to save a bit of CO2 pollution.

I don't think it should be necessary to check the oii of any car once a week. Not as a matter of course. It is 2018, not 1968.

We are at the tail end of the era of the internal combustion engine for cars and they really should be able to get the basics of reliable oil lubrication right by now. Anything else is just p*** poor design.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - focussed

The oil carbonization problem with turbo diesels, caused by hot turbo shut down and heat soak from the turbine housing, was solved years ago by specifying a turbo with a water cooled bearing housing - does this Mazda have that sort of turbo?

I don't think it should be necessary to check the oii of any car once a week. Not as a matter of course. It is 2018, not 1968.

We are at the tail end of the era of the internal combustion engine for cars and they really should be able to get the basics of reliable oil lubrication right by now. Anything else is just p*** poor design.

Better to do a quick check rather than do a 'I see no ships' routine, break down in the middle of nowhere or on the way to an important client or to the hospital just to prove a point about reliability of modern engines - all it would be is a stop gap measure (paid for by the manufacturers) until a permanent solution was found. It would save a lot of money and would show concern for the customer, just for the sake of one extra trip to the dealership for an oil change per year. All in all, not so bad for the sake of good customer relations.

Better to do a quick check rather than do a 'I see no ships' routine, break down in the middle of nowhere or on the way to an important client or to the hospital just to prove a point about reliability of modern engines - all it would be is a stop gap measure (paid for by the manufacturers) until a permanent solution was found. It would save a lot of money and would show concern for the customer, just for the sake of one extra trip to the dealership for an oil change per year. All in all, not so bad for the sake of good customer relations.

There is a difference between sensible oil changes of maybe 10k and checking oil level every month or so and expecting to check it every week,

Every week is rediculous on a modern car and any manufacturer who can't make a car which doesn't require this in 2018 really should think about making something else. Sorry, but it simply isn't good enough.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Bianconeri

There is a difference between sensible oil changes of maybe 10k and checking oil level every month or so and expecting to check it every week,

Every week is rediculous on a modern car and any manufacturer who can't make a car which doesn't require this in 2018 really should think about making something else. Sorry, but it simply isn't good enough.

It takes 10 minutes to check levels (cold) and top up screen wash on our three cars every Sunday morning. It’s been years since I needed to add oil regularly but I still do it. Why would you not? I had a much-vaunted (at the time) VAG diesel about a decade ago. It started to consume a litre of oil every 400 miles or so. At 700 miles a week it would have seized long before the month was up - how would the discussion with VAG have gone? Instead it was booked in pdq.
Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Steveieb
Hi Andy,

Thanks for all your support in supporting my daughter to source her Mazda 3 petrol.
Get the impression you have your own dealership.
Are you able to give me some clues to where you are.
Cheers

Steve
Hi Andy, Thanks for all your support in supporting my daughter to source her Mazda 3 petrol. Get the impression you have your own dealership. Are you able to give me some clues to where you are. Cheers Steve

No problem, though I don't work in the motor trade and never did - I've just owned a Mazda3 for 14 years from new and pay a great deal of attention to information about the brand and its cars, just in case...Mine just sailed through its 11th MOT in a row (no failures ever, touch wood) after the annual service, admitedly only with 67k miles on the clock.

I must admit the new gen-4 models (both the saloon and hatch versions) I saw whilst waiting in my local dealership were real lookers, inside and out. Bit pricey though.

Edited by Engineer Andy on 06/01/2020 at 18:40

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Fred de Waard

Update - Mazda have accepted after analysing the vehicle electronics that there was noting in my control that could have avoided the issue and have agreed to provide an out of warranty full engine replacement with a new engine at their cost. My regular servicing with them (every 10,000 kms) was part of the reason as well. 180,000kms for a diesal engine is young - they should last at least twice that with the highway travel undertaken. Thank you Mazda.

"My regular servicing with them (every 10,000 kms) was part of the reason as well."

Indeed, and you deserve that good result by having it serviced so often. I don't know what the UK service schedule is but it won't be every 6,200 miles.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Peter Wicks

Hi Fred - Having the same issue as you had. Are you based in UK. Have you any advise on how to deal with Mazda. Like yourself have had a goodwill 10% offer. We have the added complication of being stuck in France on a tour of Europe. Any advice gratefully received.

Peter

Particular thanks to Engineer Andy for his usual good sense. This para of his sums it up nicely:

"Put it this way - I'm a big fan of their cars generally (and I've owned a 3 since new that's now 12 years old with very little in the way of issues) and I wouldn't go near a Mazda diesel, even a new one, even if I needed one for high mileage driving. I'd probably end up with a Honda if I did - I won't compromise on reliability."

If you want a Mazda, buy one with a petrol engine.

But be aware they are not a great driving engine since they have very little torque low down, you need to thrash them which is not a relaxing way to drive.

Also be aware that getting a test drive in a petrol is near impossible.

Our stupid local dealer told me that I did not need to test drive a petrol since the diesel and petrol used the same engine and drove exactly the same, just used different fuel. I just laughed at him and walked across to the Skoda dealer.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - daveyK_UK
Not a fair comment skid pan, the current Mazda petrol range differs quite a bit and I would have no hesitation reccomending the Mazda 2 1.5 petrol in 89bhp form, it’s a nice drive

But be aware they are not a great driving engine since they have very little torque low down, you need to thrash them which is not a relaxing way to drive.

Also be aware that getting a test drive in a petrol is near impossible.

Our stupid local dealer told me that I did not need to test drive a petrol since the diesel and petrol used the same engine and drove exactly the same, just used different fuel. I just laughed at him and walked across to the Skoda dealer.

Dealer quality seems to vary far more than at, say, Honda or Toyota so you probably got a not so good one - no excuse though. My local one was able to get me back to back test drives of a brand new CX-3 and 3 in 2ltr petrol form and the former in auto form as well, but you do need to book a few days in advance if you want one on a Saturday.

Don't assume a Honda petrol engine is going to be trouble free.

The 1.5 engine sold in the USA has a very poor reputation prone to petrol in the sump.

Over there its fitted into the CRV.

They've all had their mess ups in recent years but, in general terms, if you want a reliable car and in particular if you're buying used I'd still say Japanese is best.

With one exception. Mazda.

I'm sorry but they have had far too many design cock ups in recent years to put them in the same bracket as Toyota (who themselves are by no means perfect). Disasterous diesels, rusting models, calamitous rotary engines.....all combined with some appalling customer service and denial of issues.

Just look back 10 years on this very forum and find the hundreds of posts on terribly treated owners of the original Mazda 6. It's all there in black and white.

There is a very good reason the average 8 year old Mazda is worth about £2.50.

All i can comment on is my own dealings with Mazda CS, and i have found them top shop in every dealing I've had.

1/ BT issues with phone, new phone paid for £200.

2/ Delay in getting service plan paper work, service plan paid for , cost £299.

3/ Wifi hotspot connect problems phone related, 3 year cover paid for, i forget the cost but it was around £60.

4/ Reliability apart from phone issues =100% with 2015 model.

IMO having owned 8 jap cars from new they all appear to have slipped in reliability, and the styling off all of them apart from Mazda is dire. I keep looking at the competition trying to balance performance, space, value for money, residuals which i found exceptional when selling my 2013 cx-5, power and torque, towing capability, and still come back to the CX-5.

I will probably buy another, but not before test driving a 190 Tiguan, 184 Tucson etc, but neither of those give me 420nm of torque, or a torque converter auto with a excellent record for reliability. Unliike DSG autos.

Not a fair comment skid pan, the current Mazda petrol range differs quite a bit and I would have no hesitation reccomending the Mazda 2 1.5 petrol in 89bhp form, it’s a nice drive

They were current engines. The first I tried was in a 2015 3, the 120 PS 2 litre one. It was in a word dire. The 98 PS Nissan Notre we bought was way better. In truth tthe 80 PS Nissan Micra was better.

The next I tried was a 145 PS 2 litre in the 6, still poor but I wanted to try the 165 PS CX5 before comitting to a new car. That was when I got the stupid salesman.

I do not think Mazda have replaced those engines with new ones. The VAG TSi's are superior in every way.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - FP

"I wanted to try the 165 PS CX5 before comitting to a new car. That was when I got the stupid salesman."

I have the CX-5 with the 165 PS petrol engine. I have never tried the diesel alternative, as that was not even a possibility as far as I was concerned.

It's no ball of fire, but seems perfectly acceptable to me. I have a pretty light right foot, but motorway driving at around 60 mph in sixth gear gives me a reasonable poke if I want to overtake, so torque doesn't feel that bad.

What I like about it is its near silence, unless you rev it hard, and its smoothness. In fact, the whole car is great to drive. As for economy, I have managed in excess of 40 mpg (brim-to-brim measurement) in mixed driving this winter, even during the cold spells of December and February. (And even though SWMBO insists on using the heating for her seat.) Now the weather is milder I'm getting 42 - 43.

Edited by FP on 12/03/2018 at 10:31

It's no ball of fire, but seems perfectly acceptable to me. I have a pretty light right foot, but motorway driving at around 60 mph in sixth gear gives me a reasonable poke if I want to overtake, so torque doesn't feel that bad.

The Superb (like the Leon before it) accelerates exceptionally well from 60 mph even in 6th. Drop it to 5th and it really flies but on a motorway this is never necessary.

As for economy, I have managed in excess of 40 mpg (brim-to-brim measurement) in mixed driving this winter, even during the cold spells of December and February. (And even though SWMBO insists on using the heating for her seat.) Now the weather is milder I'm getting 42 - 43.

On a holiday trip we have seen about 51 mpg from the Superb. That is not driving with economy in mind, we drive to get there ASAP but keeping to the speed limits. Its 430 miles door to door and normally takes about 7 hours driving time, an average speed of just over 60 mph. In comparrison on exactly the same trip a 2 litre Mondeo TDCi would barely do 50 mpg but the Ceed CRDi would do about 56 mpg. Strange as it may appear the Leon would "only" do 50 mpg which I think shows that the cylinder shut off on the bigger/heavier Superb really does work on motorways.

Using the Superb on urban trips of no more than 8 miles in winter it averages about 40 mpg, that is still way better than the Mondeo TDCi which used to do about 35 mpg in that usage.

What I like about it is its near silence,

Your comment abour "near silence" is interesting since every report I have read about the CX5 has commented on the high levels road and wind noise. That was another reason I wanted to try one, if it had been noisy that alone would ahve ruled it out. After the Focus we don't want another noisy car to do a 430 mile drive in.

"...every report I have read about the CX5 has commented on the high levels road and wind noise. That was another reason I wanted to try one, if it had been noisy that alone would ahve ruled it out. After the Focus we don't want another noisy car to do a 430 mile drive in."

I read a review whose headline said the petrol engine was noisy. That was misleading - when I read the text it said it was noisy "when revved". You'd expect that. But otherwise it's quiet. Some wind noise, but not a lot.

I don't find the road noise thet noticeable; the tyres supplied are Toyos. If you pay more you can get tyres with a lower noise rating, but when I replaced a couple last summer I didn't think it was worth the extra money.

I thought my Mk 2 Focus was a bit noisy when I bought it, but when I changed the tyres to Michelin Energy the road noise dropped markedly. That was certainly worth doing.

Edited by FP on 12/03/2018 at 13:20

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - nailit

Re. Noisy,

Dont know about the CX5 but Mazda improved the 6 model cars 2015 onwards, called Gen 3. Different door seals, I believe and possible wind vane reflectors underneath? maybe other improvements.

The latest from end 2017 have improved again with thicker glass and not sure but perhaps thicker steel? Trying to beat the Germans according to one magazine lol.

Edited by nailit on 12/03/2018 at 13:55

Re. Noisy,

Dont know about the CX5 but Mazda improved the 6 model cars 2015 onwards, called Gen 3. Different door seals, I believe and possible wind vane reflectors underneath? maybe other improvements.

The 6 I drove was mid 2016. At the time I had the Leon and the 6 left me disapointed in every area except space. I found it noisy (especially so when revving it to get decent performance), hard riding (it was on the bigger wheels) and the performance was very subdued (this was the 145 model) The 165 was way more expensive and came with lots of "sports" type extras, that is why I considered the CX5 165 petrol. But I could not see how the extra power would really help, the torque was exactly the same figure peaking at the same high rpm, the extra 20 PS was probably only beneficail over 4500 rpm and then the engine got plain noisy.

Sorry but its VAG TSi for me every time. I was tempted to try the Ford 1.5 Ecoboost but no local dealer had one on the fleet.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - nailit

I recall reading somewhere in a mag, journo's remark on the exhaust note, and he quoted something about Mazda had tuned/designed it and he couldn't understand why on such a car (mazda 6 petrol) IIRC. So yes if you rev it you do hear a "nice" exhaust note, hmm ok if I were 30 years younger. But having said that I wouldn't say it's a noisy car. But the passat is quieter!

Mazda 6 has never won any group test, and cannot be compared to the CX-5 that has won most if not all group tests.

It also won its group for best towcar in 2015.

Cx-5 has got quieter progressively with the 2017 being even more insulated, but all thats done has reduced performance and MPG, and increased it's weight.

I'm not a Vag fan myself having only an Audi A4 quattro 1.8T avant, i found it boring to drive, but good to look at.

Edited by xtrailman on 12/03/2018 at 19:46

They've all had their mess ups in recent years but, in general terms, if you want a reliable car and in particular if you're buying used I'd still say Japanese is best.

With one exception. Mazda.

I'm sorry but they have had far too many design cock ups in recent years to put them in the same bracket as Toyota (who themselves are by no means perfect). Disasterous diesels, rusting models, calamitous rotary engines.....all combined with some appalling customer service and denial of issues.

Just look back 10 years on this very forum and find the hundreds of posts on terribly treated owners of the original Mazda 6. It's all there in black and white.

There is a very good reason the average 8 year old Mazda is worth about £2.50.

I think that's somewhat unfair:

No-one's saying they are as reliable as Toyotas or Hondas, but in other respects they beat them hands-down - handling (especially), styling, price. I can source a Mazda3 with the same level of performance and spec as an equivalent Honda Civic for about 15% less on list price alone, and more like 30% less when discounts are factored in (or if you go through a broker).

I understand the 'risk' if you're in the market for a diesel, but with a petrol-engined car - no way would I pay THAT MUCH more for a car that was not that much reliable or long lasting, especially when the higher price of servicing and parts at Honda dealerships is factored in. As regards a Toyota 'equivalent' - there is none - the Auris isn't what you'd call by any stretch of the imagination a 'drivers car' and is about as dull as dishwater inside (it looks like they've stayed in the 1990s) and out.

As regards the rotary engines - yes, they have their problems, but I've seen on SO MANY occasions owners coming to my local dealership with big problems caused by them running these cars as short-trip commuting and shopping cars, with only the occasional longer journey at the weekend. Its been a WELL KNOWN FACT for years that cars with these engines hate such a life and were never designed as such. In my view, I wouldn't be surprised that more than the odd one or two were sold by main dealers who lied to customers about this 'flaw' in their design, but they are really a sports car that can act as an everyday car IF the circumstances are right. Unfortunately few punters did their homework (5 mins only needed) and thus I have little sympathy for them when they come crying about their car's problems.

As regards rust, its been a problem on certain cars (MX-5s old than 7 years), but more on older cars. Its well-documented that the Mazda3 & 6 mk1s have some issues with rust around the wheel arches, but on the early examples - my 3 was built in Oct 2005 and has only a few very minor spots and none elsewhere (touch wood never failing an MOT), and I see many local examples of 3s and 6s of this age in similar condition.

No such problems exist with the mk2s (none reported in the good and bad section) and seemingly only a few for the Mazda3 mk3, mainly early production models in the US - nothing of late to write home about. Very little evidence of problems in other models, especially those designed around the mid 2000s.

Most of Mazda's reliability and quality issues now concern the diesel engines only - can you remember the last time someone actually complained here about such problems on a petrol engined Mazda? And no, I'm not talking about skidpan and his aversion to the performance characteristics of their normally-aspirated engines - that's just a personal preference (perfectly entitled to as well). I have already stated where Mazda could go to change their fortunes as regards diesel engines, though I suspect their new X series petrol engines may (if they prove reliable and useful, performance and mpg wise) convince them to dump diesels for petrols and petrol hybrids (coming soon too) except for their pickup trucks, a bit like Toyota are doing. problem solved, or least they can source their diesels from Honda as previously stated, if the 1.5 and 2.2's design flaws cannot be quickly resolved.

Where I DO also agree (and have made points to that effect) is of (in my opinion) Mazda UK's often indifference to problems of customers that were not caused by them but design flaws (not the RX-8) and had been looked after only at main dealers. I would say that from speaking to other customers and freinds who own Mazdas, they do seem to have improved over the years on this score, but admitedly still have some way to go to match that of Honda and Toyota/Lexus.

Similarly, as stated before, the quality of their dealerships seems to vary a lot, and this would be a good area they could easily improve their standing by forcing through improvements and sometimes removing franchises when things are bad and don't improve. My own local dealership is also a Honda franchise, so its more likely I'll get a good level of customer service given the link to that make - one of the reasons why I get my car looked after there than in another local one.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - SimVess

Hi Jakboy - Just read your post from 2017 and all the subsequent replies but I wondered what the final outcome was on your wife's CX5?

I have suffered EXACTLY the same experience with my 2013 CX-5 (85k) which to date has been reliable and I do about 20-25k miles per annum with a mix of local and motorway - Orange Inspection Light came on, followed immediately by Red Oil Warning message and then the distinctive 'clunk' loss of power (car has zero acceleration but just idles at 1,000 rpm so you can very carefully with good clutch control get it off the road if you are on a flat surface!) - now looking at prospect that engine has been starved of oil and talking about possibly having to replace engine and any 'oil related' parts, turbo etc - Mazda have no desire to assist or even discuss unless the car is at at Mazda Dealer but mine is at a local garage I use so i am on my own and bracing myself for the worst - even if this is resolved and after reading all the stuff about Mazda diesels I do know that I will NEVER buy another Mazda and not endorse anyone else thinking of doing so!

So - I was curios to see how the story ended for you?

All the best

"I will NEVER buy another Mazda and not endorse anyone else thinking of doing so!"

The problems with Mazda diesels are well-documented. It's rather an illogical reaction to assume that everything Mazda produces is suspect. The reputation of their petrol engines is excellent.

The CX-5 is a lovely car. I've been running the petrol version for a few (trouble-free) years now and am very happy with it. When I was shopping around, I made absolutely certain to keep well clear of the diesel version.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - badbusdriver

Hi Jakboy - Just read your post from 2017 and all the subsequent replies but I wondered what the final outcome was on your wife's CX5?

I have suffered EXACTLY the same experience with my 2013 CX-5 (85k) which to date has been reliable and I do about 20-25k miles per annum with a mix of local and motorway - Orange Inspection Light came on, followed immediately by Red Oil Warning message and then the distinctive 'clunk' loss of power (car has zero acceleration but just idles at 1,000 rpm so you can very carefully with good clutch control get it off the road if you are on a flat surface!) - now looking at prospect that engine has been starved of oil and talking about possibly having to replace engine and any 'oil related' parts, turbo etc - Mazda have no desire to assist or even discuss unless the car is at at Mazda Dealer but mine is at a local garage I use so i am on my own and bracing myself for the worst - even if this is resolved and after reading all the stuff about Mazda diesels I do know that I will NEVER buy another Mazda and not endorse anyone else thinking of doing so!

So - I was curios to see how the story ended for you?

All the best

While i understand your anger and frustration, certain parts of your post don't make sense.

Firstly, the car is 6 years old, so given how far out of warranty that makes it, your expectations of what Mazda should do about it are not very realistic.

You say it is a 2013 car with 85k miles but also say you do 20-25k per year?. I am assuming this means you didn't own it from new otherwise the mileage would be 120-150k. If this is the case, that means you bought a 2nd hand version of a car with well known problems regarding the diesel version, which in turn, suggests you did not do any research into any potential problems with the car.

As for your view on Mazda in general now, while understandable in the heat of the moment, it is, as FP says illogical, given petrol engined mazda's are amongst the most reliable cars on the road.

Many car manufacturers produce engines which have well known reliability issues, so if we all took your stance, nobody would buy Ford's (1.0 ecoboost, 1.6 diesel), anything from VAG (early chain drive TSI's, 1.6 diesel, plus the current problems re the new 1.5 TSI), PSA group (1.6 diesel), etc etc.

I would echo the comments from BBD, and would add to that by asking this new poster with a fault on their CX-5 whether they have followed to servicing regime of 12.5k miles/1 year (whatever comes first) between services, including the oil change, etc. If not, especially if they've held over their servicing to 1 year, then there's the likely cause.

The other problem is that unless you knew the exact history (not just if it was serviced properly/on time, but how it was drivern - journey types, etc), the car may already have had problems by virtue of how it was used which then came to a head later during the current ownership period.

The potential lack of decent mileage under its belt before the current owner bought it (not details as to when that was and what the mileage was at the time) could have a large bearing on the cause of the problem, as could the current owner's servicing regime (should be nearly twice a year on that mileage).

Thanks all for your interest here and I really just wanted to know what the outcome of the CX5 in original post I replied too as this was exactly what I experienced so I wondered if a new engine was the end result.

The views on buying another Mazda are just my own personal views so no offence intended and great if you have had/having many trouble free years of motoring and yes I am possibly caught up in the heat of the moment / frustrated etc - yes the car has FSH btw and service regime is every 12.5k and no I didn’t get it from new and I have had it for last 3 years and bought it with approx 12k on the clock and one previous owner but no idea of how it was driven for the first 12k and no I obviously didn’t do enough research prior to buying and was blissfully unaware of diesel related problems etc until now hence my flippant comment about not buying another Mazda etc

Thanks ??
“ yes the car has FSH btw and service regime is every 12.5k“

But not at a Mazda dealer or specialist. I’ll wager the backstreet garage you said you’ve been using has been doing as almost all of them do and just bunging any oil they have bulk bought in. This isn’t suitable for a modern DPF equipped diesel. That said it’s still pretty common for failures despite a Mazda history so maybe you were just unlucky. I hope your motoring days from here on are easier sailing as you’ll no doubt research before buying and will avoid buying anything complex if you don’t wish to pay for expensive main dealer maintenance.
“ Mazda have no desire to assist or even discuss unless the car is at at Mazda Dealer but mine is at a local garage I use so i am on my own and bracing myself for the worst - even if this is resolved and after reading all the stuff about Mazda diesels I do know that I will NEVER buy another Mazda and not endorse anyone else thinking of doing so!”

Sympathies but you made a couples of grave mistakes here. Firstly you didn’t do your research before buying. If you had you’d’ve learned that this particular engine has a terrible reputation for failures but the petrol version is pretty much bulletproof.

Secondly you bought a highly complex modern turbo diesel SUV then maintained it at a non-franchise backstreet garage who has neither the expertise nor the equipment to properly maintain it. You cannot expect Mazda to help when you haven’t followed their servicing schedule. Many of these wee garages bulk buy oil and use the same thing in every car that lands on their ramps, this is unacceptable with complex modern cars which are very oil specific and require exactly the right manufacturer recommended stuff.
Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - thunderbird

I have suffered EXACTLY the same experience with my 2013 CX-5 (85k) which to date has been reliable and I do about 20-25k miles per annum with a mix of local and motorway

Your car is 6 years old (possibly almost 7) thus at 20k per annum it should have done 120k now, at 25k per annum 150k. Since its only done 85k we must assume it was bought used. If you have had it 3 years doing 22.5k a year its done 67.5k in your ownership, that means in the first 3 years it only did 17.5k which will kill most modern diesels and since the Mazda is one of the very worst death is almost a certainty.

So whilst your usage is perfect for a diesel the damage was done long before you bought it. Add to that back street servicing and bingo, a time bomb.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - sammy1

that means in the first 3 years it only did 17.5k which will kill most modern diesels and since the Mazda is one of the very worst death is almost a certainty.

Presumably you are assuming that the car had lots of short journeys? Whilst I understand that the DPF on diesels can be a problem and never having owned a diesel can someone explain why other than manufacturers scheduled oil changes what servicing a diesel requires that is different to a petrol Mazda and why if regular oil changed the bottom end fails? I do know that in certain circumstances diesel gets dumped into the sump but other cars seem to cope ok? I have every sympathy with consumers who buy the second hand Mazda diesel how can the average consumer be expected to know the pitfalls of this motor.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - gordonbennet
I have every sympathy with consumers who buy the second hand Mazda diesel how can the average consumer be expected to know the pitfalls of this motor.

Years ago information about time bomb engines/gearboxes was difficult to come by unless you were somehow connected to the trade, or had an interest in car mechanics yourself, car magazines weren't going to tell you about German FWD auto boxes that wouldn't last past 100k miles because they relied on the makers for goodwill re advertising and road tests, arguably some magazines still try to portray the hewn from solid myth, this site is an exception you get the gritty unflowered up truth from HJ.

The internet has changed all that, information about poor engines and gearboxes is freely available these days with entertaining videos on Youtube if that takes your fancy, you'd think someone about to make probably the most expensive purchase of their life to date apart from their home or a celeb style wedding, would take an evening to do a bit of research before parting with the hard earned.

I have no doubt even experienced mechanically minded regular posters here spend a lot of time researching any potential vehicle before ever going anywhere near a car dealer.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - madf

that means in the first 3 years it only did 17.5k which will kill most modern diesels and since the Mazda is one of the very worst death is almost a certainty.

Presumably you are assuming that the car had lots of short journeys? Whilst I understand that the DPF on diesels can be a problem and never having owned a diesel can someone explain why other than manufacturers scheduled oil changes what servicing a diesel requires that is different to a petrol Mazda and why if regular oil changed the bottom end fails? I do know that in certain circumstances diesel gets dumped into the sump but other cars seem to cope ok? I have every sympathy with consumers who buy the second hand Mazda diesel how can the average consumer be expected to know the pitfalls of this motor.

Yje DPF tends to block up with deposits of carbon or exhaust products. To clear it requires the injection of neat fule into the exhaust syetm: this causes a regen which basically burns all teh carbon etc out. If it is interrupted or goes wrong, you can get neat diesel into the oil diluting it..

Now if you add in lots of cold starts when lubrication is poor, degraded oil and lots of carbon and exhaust products in teh oil, the diesel engine oil has a much harder job to do.

Then if you get owners sevrcing it based on mileage and doing 4k miles a year, it could be 3 years before a service.. Lots of degraded oil with acids floating around for there years does no good to bearings...

ANyone buying a desle car and doing short journeys needs more frequent maintenance - oil and filter changes every year - AT LEAST - and top quality oil of teh correct spec.

Using a non specialists garage which uses bulk oil for any car means you combine all teh above woes with a non standard oil..

Modern cars are not built for abuse.. at least some are not...And when teh maker has HISTORY on fragile diesel engines , owners abuse them at their peril..

It only takes 10 minutes on a PC to find anything...

"Mazda diesel engine problems..." is a good start.

But when you get buyers' guides free as well on this and other sites...!!!!!!

Caveat emptor,,

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Brit_in_Germany

I thought there were two issues with Mazda diesels which somehow seem to get combined into one. Firstly there was the dpf regeneration issue leading to oil dilution and potentially engine self-destruction when it starts running on sump oil or loss of lubrication of the bearings. Secondly, there was a problem of leaking injector seals which could lead to carbon collecting in the oil strainer and eventually blocking it. This in turn would cause a low oil pressure (the flickering light) shortly followed by engine failure. As to what extent these problems have been overcome in the newer engines is another matter but the reputation of Mazda and diesels hangs over them.

There were also fuel pump problems with some Mazda diesels, I seem to recall.

I thought there were two issues with Mazda diesels which somehow seem to get combined into one. Firstly there was the dpf regeneration issue leading to oil dilution and potentially engine self-destruction when it starts running on sump oil or loss of lubrication of the bearings. Secondly, there was a problem of leaking injector seals which could lead to carbon collecting in the oil strainer and eventually blocking it. This in turn would cause a low oil pressure (the flickering light) shortly followed by engine failure. As to what extent these problems have been overcome in the newer engines is another matter but the reputation of Mazda and diesels hangs over them.

Put it this way - Mazda have recently stopped selling diesel variants of the latest Mazda3, despite the 'new' 1.8TD only being sold generally (it's currently still an option for the smaller CX-3 but no other model sold) for about a year or so in the CX-3 and just 4-6 months in the 3. And it isn't just governments and councils saying they will ban older diesels in polluted major urban areas - the Mazda SA-D engines have been Euro-6+ compliant for a long time now.

I think they became really concerned about the sheer numbers of diesel engined cars having problems (and not just the many that are related to them being driven on repeated short urban trips from cold, causing the DPF/oil dilution issue) and either losing customers (sales in the UK have slid a LONG way since their high around 2006/7) to rival brands or people PXing them/handing PCP cars back and getting the far more reliable (if not that perky to drive) petrol-engined cars instead.

Having looked (as a Mazda3 [petrol] owner for nearly 14 years) at the websites of various regional dealerships, I always note at the sheer number of cars that find their way back onto the forecourts after 1-3 years that are either (mostly) diesel-engined and/or top Sport spec ones (overly firm ride). Very few SEs/SE-Ls and petrols in comparison.

No way are most of these ex-hire or fleet cars - I mean when was the last time a rental firm or your employer offered you a Mazda? Most are private sale/PCP vehicles being PXed, passed on from rival makes dealerships or traded up for a petrol model for those who like the styling and handling.

I think that, assuming the all-new SA-X engine beds in well and gets better as it is further developed, the remaining diesel engines will be phased out aside from those in their vans and pickup trucks (more sales abroad for those, e.g. North America and Down Under) and moving towards the hybrid end of things, maybe eventually EVs, given their tie-up on hybrids with Toyota.

Sounds like they are finally getting the message.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - misar

I think that, assuming the all-new SA-X engine beds in well and gets better as it is further developed, the remaining diesel engines will be phased out aside from those in their vans and pickup trucks.

Sounds like they are finally getting the message.

You may not have noticed that the new SA-X compression engine has a petrol particulate filter:

PM may not be removed and the petrol particulate filter warning indication/warning light may illuminate under the following conditions:
- If the vehicle is driven at 20 km/h (12 mph) or less continuously.
- If the vehicle is repeatedly driven for a short period of time (30 minute or less) or driven while the engine is cold.
- If the vehicle is idled for a long time.

I know that petrol is cleaner than diesel but it would be ironic if history repeats itself!

Edited by misar on 05/12/2019 at 18:59

Is that info from the new Mazda3 (SA-X engine) handbook?

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - misar

Yes, p 4-255 - easily downloaded. There is just one handbook for everything, very confusing.

Edited by misar on 05/12/2019 at 20:37

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - barney100

Seems like you will have the same trouble I had with Mercedes a couple of years ago on a 2012 SLK. Dealer doesn’t want to know and puts you on to the manufacturer's help line. If Mazda are anything like Mercedes they will fob you off,

Signing off this thread now as I no longer own a Mazda and just thought I would provide a post script on my lovely 13 plate CX5 with 86k which had the ‘clunk’ and oil warning lights - the clunk was the oil chain which had snapped and oil pump seized and the end result being it was beyond economical repair for me to get the lower engine repaired plus labour and ended up selling the car to MotorHog for £2.5k y to essentially cut my losses as I still had £5k outstanding on my car loan (tbf - the MotorHog service worked really well and the collected on the day promised and paid the money into my account same day)
Mazda did call me to empathise and told me all about their excellent scrappage scheme until I pointed out my Mazda was still too new to qualify for this!! ‘Oh yeah, sorry about that’ ??
HNY
Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - gordonbennet
Signing off this thread now as I no longer own a Mazda and just thought I would provide a post script.

Sympathy offered by all here i have no doubt,

Funnily enough i read an item the other day, not from this website, about estate cars for around £4k, and recommended was Mazda's 6 with the Diesel engine, i thought of this and other threads here which tell the real story of these things.

Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Cezary

Hi Guys. I am going to garage for head gasket replacing in my Mazda CX-5 2014 2.2 diesel 106k mil.

What else you would suggest to replace while this job to save money in the future and do not pay labor twice?

Hi Guys. I am going to garage for head gasket replacing in my Mazda CX-5 2014 2.2 diesel 106k mil.

What else you would suggest to replace while this job to save money in the future and do not pay labor twice?

I’d suggest selling the thing as soon as possible. A half hour spent with a cuppa and my good friend google will show you how weak these engines really are. At 106k you’re on borrowed time, I wouldn’t recommend keeping it. Mazda make otherwise excellent cars but they just can’t do diesels for some reason.
Mazda CX-5 - Mazda CX-5 Engine failure. - Cezary

My first idea was to sell the car but after week on Auto Trader I decided to fix the problem.

For part exchange they offered me up to 5500£ (there is no obvious symptoms that head gasket gone). To buy younger SUV with the low mileage I need to spend at least extra 6k, which I don't have. Plus you never know if the "new" car is in better condition and you will not come back to the garage within few months with another expensive issue.