Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - bathtub tom

Just got home after a 200 mile journey. I felt the air-com wasn't quite coping adequately. It was certainly cooling the car and I tried it on both fresh air and recirc.

The AC's never been serviced since new and I presume it's not punctured, otherwise it wouldn't cool at all. The filter's been changed once.

Could it be that UK spec cars aren't designed to deal with todays temperatures (30C)?

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - Railroad.

It probably needs a re-gas. Open the bonnet and start the engine. Locate the larger of the two air conditioning pipes. This will be the low pressure return to the compressor. Switch on the A/C and touch the low pressure pipe with your hand. After a couple of seconds the pipe will become noticeably cold, and even sweating with condensation. If it doesn't your system is low on gas.

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - elekie&a/c doctor

With ambient temps of over 30c, most smallish cars will be working on their limit. The Yaris is one of a few cars that has a very small refridgerant gas charge ,so even a small loss of gas can reduce the effeciency. As suggested above,get the system checked.

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - bathtub tom

Thanks, suspected it wasn't a major problem.

I'll wait until after the queues have died down before getting it checked.

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - Cyd

Smaller cars with smaller engines tend not to have powerful aircon. Remember, the power has to come from the engine. My Saab's aircon was working hard and probably consuming 10-12hp in doing so. Now that doesn't make a big dent in the 260 available from the engine, but if that aircon was in my wife's C1 with it's 69hp 1 litre motor, then the loss of 10hp would be keenly felt.

It's quite noticeable on warm days that the aircon in the C1 is not particularly effective - good enough to "take the edge off".

Same was true of my son's Polo 1.2.

That's why we were out in the Saab yesterday

I doubt there's anything wrong. It shouldn't have lost any performance at 2yrs old. It was probably giving it everything it had! But if you can get it checked for free, then why not (just watch those warranty conditions).

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - Big John

Smaller cars with smaller engines tend not to have powerful aircon. Remember, the power has to come from the engine

This is not the case with our little 1.2 Fiat Panda - It's climate control turns the cabin into a meat locker when the climate control is turned to "LO" - I suppose the Italians make good fridges!

Edited by Big John on 20/06/2017 at 00:11

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - Stanb Sevento

Strangely enough my wife has just changed her Panda for a nearly new Yaris and in the recent hot weather I would agree the Panda had the better aircon. The Yaris is still good but not as powerfull. My Sharan has a big powerfull unit as you would expect in a big motor, its not so much that the air coming out is colder, well maybe slightly, but the much larger volume of air getting pumped out of a lot more vents.

Toyota Yaris 1.3 petrol '14 reg 25K miles - Air-con not coping today - Ryanfuego

I think no, mainly manufacturers keepn an eye on every subject and every detail of car. So problem may occur not because of manufacturers