Private parking signage. - pullgees

Are there any laws governing the wording on signs for parking on private land? One place I'm thinking is a retail park, it is a 24 hour zone. It's monitored with ANPR cameras and the sign just says "Purchase a ticket. Maximum stay 3 hours" No mention that it applies for 24 hours. So I drove in to the empty car park after the stores had closed and went off for the evening. Ten days later I got a "parking invoice". I've been parking there for years but only recently have they installed cameras.

Private parking signage. - scot22

My understanding, may not be correct, is that the conditons for parking on private land must be displayed clearly. It is a contract between you and the land owner and terms of a contract MUST be made explicit and accepted by both parties, i.e if you did not agree you did not park there.

Private parking signage. - RT

Are there any laws governing the wording on signs for parking on private land? One place I'm thinking is a retail park, it is a 24 hour zone. It's monitored with ANPR cameras and the sign just says "Purchase a ticket. Maximum stay 3 hours" No mention that it applies for 24 hours. So I drove in to the empty car park after the stores had closed and went off for the evening. Ten days later I got a "parking invoice". I've been parking there for years but only recently have they installed cameras.

The clue is in the wording "Purchase a ticket. Maximum stay 3 hours" - no mention there that it doesn't apply 24/7 - why assume it only applies in shop opening hours?

Private parking signage. - badbusdriver

I'm not sure what your issue is regarding the sign, seems pretty clear to me, if you want to park there you must purchase a ticket and stay no longer than 3 hours. You parked overnight (so presumably quite a bit more than 3 hours) and got a bill.

Am I missing something?

Private parking signage. - scot22

Just read British Parking Association code of conduct. Yes, terms and conditions must be displayed. However, as subsequent posters have put - there is no time of day limitation. Unless specified, for example store opening hours or between 8.00a.m and 6.00pm, it is 24 hours. Therefore appreciate the years you got for free !

Private parking signage. - Bromptonaut

My recollection is that terms, including the charge for breaching them, need to be displayed for the contract tobe made.

OP needs to revisit car park and check particularly around entrance which is where (aldi stores for example) the terms are spelled out. If no mention of penalty then possible appeal or successful defence if parking company go to small claims court,

Private parking signage. - pullgees

Thank all. Looks like I'll have to cough up, it was the recently installed cameras that caught me out.

Private parking signage. - daveyjp
Do not act in haste,

Chances are you could win this on appeal, it depends if your time is worth more than the ransom being sought.

Pepipoo if you want detailed advice on how to go about appealing properly.
Private parking signage. - concrete

I agree with daveyjp and others, don't be in a hurry to pay. Lodge an appeal, they have to send you details of how to do this. Go back and take photographs of the signage or lack of coherent signage. I am under the impression that material facts regarding the contract have to be displayed. Seems a bit mean to install cameras without making clear the zone is camera monitored. Also not to allow cars to park out of certain shop hours. Examine the detail, that is where the devil is!! Worth checking to see if private parking signage comes under the RTA as it does for local authorities. It is amazing how many get it very wrong.

Cheers Concrete