fiat punto 2003 - Corroded subframe mountings - KCSRenault

Hello,

My elderly neighbours fiat punto went for its MOT today, and she was upset to hear it failed on excessive corrossion on all of its front subframe mountings. Is this a common problem and is it a massive fix?

She does not drive very much but still wants a car to nip about once a week, and is determined she wants to keep this one.

Is there any point in fixing and also is it common? up here in the north of scotland, cars can rust quite badly, but at such an age and low mileage, always garaged. It does look rusty underneath, but the garage does not weld, so they have no reason to be lying about it. They have suggested a few locals but, it sounds like a massive job.

fiat punto 2003 - Corroded subframe mountings - Big John

This happened on our 1999 Punto (many years ago) - or at least I spotted the early signs and rustproofed the car. Basically wherever there is a body weld (eg suspension/body mountings) they seem to rust badly. To be honest even if the subframe mounting is repaired you can guarantee another mounting will not be far behind - rear suspension attachments probably munching away.

If it was my car I wouldn't bother as this will be an expensive repair as the front subframe would have to be removed as well as all the components attached to it! There will probably be another expnsive repair to follow next year as well.

NB We have inherited a 2006 Fiat Panda that seems to be showing no signs of rusting - at the same age the Punto was well on it's way

fiat punto 2003 - Corroded subframe mountings - hardway

I've had this with shall we say "older" owner/drivers,

I guess they become attatched or used to their car and even a newer identical model just wont do.

To the point that some just give up driving.

Now I'll admit to charging over a grand to weld up an old Chevet to pass an mot for many years to come,

I did try to talk him out of it but this guy was one of the original Para's!

Even well into his 70's he was still sharp.

Anyway the Vaux sailed it's test with no advisories,

And off he went.

Then a few weeks later he turns up in the most beat up rusty and on it's last legs Fiesta I've ever seen!!

He'd "given" the vauxhall to some kid down the street.

I was without words.

fiat punto 2003 - Corroded subframe mountings - SLO76
Common problem on these and expensive to fix properly. The car is scrap but £1,500 - £2,500 would buy a good cheap replacement. Honda Jazz, Kia Picanto, Hyundai i10/i20, Nissan Micra, Mazda 2, VW Polo, VW Fox, Ford Fiesta, Skoda Fabia are all worthy enough if they've been looked after.
fiat punto 2003 - Corroded subframe mountings - YG2007

Likely to be several hours to fix get a quote but almost certainly makes this an "end of life" vehicle. Time to get something under 10 years old

fiat punto 2003 - Corroded subframe mountings - focussed

This reminds me of an old MG 1100 I had. Despite borrowing the works portable oxy-acetyleline bottles every weekend for more weekends than I care to remember - I gave up in the end - the rear subframe continued to try to escape upwards through the boot floor - scrapped it.