Help with choice please. - Indecisive_Car_Picker!
Hi,
A few weeks ago you kindly gave me some advise ref a new (to me) car. I have still not bought my car as A, I am too indecisive and B, there is a possibility of a job change which will change my commute from 25ish miles and more than half of that motorways to 2 miles and small roads.
I have two cars in mind, a 1.25 Ford Fiesta, for the 8 grand I have to spend I can prob get a 2015 with around 10,000 miles on the clock from a main dealer with some warranty left or a Citroen C1 (I like the look of the Citroen over the other two although the warranty on the Aygo is tempting). To get a similar age/mileage c1 I could prob spend closer to 7 from a main dealer.

I was thinking the C1 would be a good choice if the job change goes ahead, looks fun to drive etc. Although the fiesta is a lovely drive (had one as a hire car for a week). I was wondering if a fiesta might be just as good a choice if it is a short drive to work. If I don't get the job change I was thinking that the fiesta would be better for the commute due to motorway driving, not sure the C1 would cope. I do like that the C1 has a free car tax and, I think, it will be cheaper on fuel (not sure by much though)

I am going to hire an Aygo (as I can't find anyone with a c1 for hire locally) to see if I like it.

The car will need to occasionally fit in both my children (teens) but it is mostly just me as my husband has a V40 so we are ok for a bigger car.

Fiesta = sensible choice
C1 = fun

Are the C1s as hardy as a fiesta? I do intend to service appropriately ect.
I have had a good few cars for hire while making this choice...Nissan Juke (awful!), Hyundai I10 (nice little car but don't feel it is me), Ford Focus estate (too big), fiesta ecoboost (felt it almost had too much energy for me) and the fiesta 1.25 (nice solid drive) I also had a short test drive in a Yaris but not sure about that one, I don't like the big X on the front really.

This car choosing is hard work. I want to still be driving it in 10 years if I possibly can!
Help with choice please. - gordonbennet

Latest Yaris and Aygo i agree with you about the looks, what on earth are Toyota playing at, looks only a mother could love and i'm a fan of Toyota's engineering and customer care ethos, the C1 is a rare beauty in comparison.

There is no reason you shouldn't be driving whichever of these two you buy in ten years, whatever you get needs an annual proper service from someone who can be trusted (including looking after the brakes not just looking AT them), and at some point, say 40k miles, a gearbox oil change as well.

Not sure what constitutes fun to drive any more, my idea of driving enjoyment is a silky smooth auto box and masses of torque, but for your short hop needs buy whatever you feel comfortable slipping into and feel at home in, doubt the running costs will be worlds apart.

Personally i can't stand Fiesta (any modern Fords come to mention it), the company pool cars are Fords and the only word that comes to mind when i have to use one of the horrid things is underwhelmed.

Help with choice please. - SLO76
Both the C1 (Daihatsu engine) and Fiesta 1.25 (Yamaha engine) are robust and long lived if looked after. Make sure you buy one that's been serviced EVERY year not every second no matter how low the mileage is, this is particularly important on the chain driven C1. I'd steer clear of the Ecoboost 1.0 Fiesta if long life is desired, they're developing a reputation for being weak.

For your budget you're spoiled for choice really with plenty of worthy options (Mazda 3 and Toyota Yaris 1.33 in particular) but sticking with the two you've shortlisted I'd favour the Fiesta which is the more flexible option with more room and is nicer for distance driving. The latest C1 is a good city car and certainly cheaper to run but rear space is limited and road noise at speed a bit wearing.

There are two versions of the 1.25 Yamaha designed engine in the Fiesta, one with 59bhp which is fine for local running but is strangled at higher speeds and the other has 81bhp and is noticeably stronger with no real drop in economy. The higher output unit is the one to have.

Personally I'd sooner have a Mazda 2 or Yaris 1.33 with such longterm ownership in mind but there are plenty of old Fiestas and early Aygo/107/C1's on our roads to show how robust they are.

Edited by SLO76 on 11/03/2017 at 20:35

Help with choice please. - Wackyracer

How about a Toyota Auris? It will give that bit of extra space and doesn't look quite as ugly as the new Yaris.

Help with choice please. - drd63

It just happens that we have a 2012, 1.25 Fiesta and a 2016 Aygo. I really rate both of them but it's not fair to compare. The Aygo is a city car and it is a class below the Fiesta but it's fun, gives 51mpg but it's not very sophisticated with the exception on the sat nav, infotainment on our X cite model. The Fiesta on the other hand is a thing of beauty, you might not like the styling or some of the interior but it is so refined, ride and handling are sublime. In this case motoring journalists and buyers both agree this is in a different league. Economy not great at 41mpg but that's due to the main driver being 20! You won't go wrong with either but if you're regularly using mways or long journeys it has to be the Fiesta.

Help with choice please. - veloceman
Go for the Fiesta.
Brilliant car in all respects - handling, ride, comfort and main dealer service cost is very reasonable too.
My girlfriend is on her 2nd of the recent 2008 shape including 4 years and 50000 miles with the
Ecoboost with no problems whatsoever.
As said above C1 is really a city car and won't come anywhere near the Fiesta in most comparisons, certainly not on the motorway.
I have never been a Ford man but have the greatest respect for the Fiesta.
(Unlike the above post who says all Fords are rubbish because he doesn't like them - not very helpful!)
Help with choice please. - bazza

I agree, we have owned a 1.6 Focus for 5 years and it's been a better car than our Octavia, owned for 4 years, although the Ford has a lower mileage. Although initial perceptions might indicate the Skoda to have "better" quality, in reality this is not the case.

My parents have had Fiestas for years, Their current 1.0 ecoboost is a very impressive drive, but it does lack the flexibility of a non turbo unit, their previous 1.4 was slower but a lot more flexible. I prefer that. For long term ownership, I would go 1.4 or 1.25 Yamaha, rather than the relatively unproven 1.0 Ecoboost, which is an extremely complex engine. For long term ownership, keep it simple, non turbo.

Unlike the above post who says all Fords are rubbish because he doesn't like them - not very helpful!

The poster above had an open mind, he'd delivered thousands of the things in his previous work without getting all dewey eyed about them because really they are no different to any other mass produced car, and like so many others lacking any sort of engine stall speed guts.

Then once he changed jobs found the pool cars were Mondeo Focus' and more recently Fiesta, and expected (due to glowing reports aboutpower ride/handling etc) to be impressed, when in practice found the Diesels to be, as remembered, gutless until up to a certain RPM when they did a sudden Mr Hyde to the previously half dead Dr Jekyl, but only for a few seconds circa 1500 rpm till the next gear was required, and with a disappointing rideto boot, but then they're hardly alone in that among the usual euroboxes, friends Golf 7 might as well be on concrete springs and fork truck solid tyres, one manager's top spec Audi A3 the most unpleasant box of electronics i've driven in years, we'd hired a previous shape Focus in Ireland for a family funeral and were very glad to see the back of it, horrible crashing ride where you felt every bump, and trust me in Co Clare there are lots of bumps, had bad backs for weeks after.

The more recent addition, petrol Fiesta is as underpowered a thing as i've had the misfortune to drive in many a year and has to be thrashed mercilessly to make any progress at all, but i agree the ride is quite reasonable, better than Focus IMO.

In future i'll only comment when i have something positive to say, be like the BBC the Grauniad and Chanel No 4 only report glowingly on a favoured group and keep schtum otherwise..:-)

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/03/2017 at 08:59

Help with choice please. - veloceman
Now you have elaborated I can see you have justification for your comments.
I take back what I said and look forward to reading your future posts, hopefully not in the style of a far too politically correct BBC!
Help with choice please. - FiestaOwner

I've owned a 2012 1.25 (81 BHP) since new. I have to say that I like and recommend it. I would certainly consider another one. I like the way it handles and find the performance quite acceptable, although it's certainly not a road rocket.

Other cars of this size I would also consider are Hyundai i20 (1.2 84BHP) and Kia Rio with the same engine. Would also consider Toyota Yaris 1.33. The Yaris 1.33 has a 6 speed gearbox which should make it a more relaxed drive at motorway speeds.

Help with choice please. - Avant

Wait till you finally know whether you're changing jobs. The requirements are different enough to make a different type of car ideal for each - although a supermini-sized car such as a Fiesta or Yaris will make a good fist of both.

Help with choice please. - bazza

we'd hired a previous shape Focus in Ireland for a family funeral and were very glad to see the back of it, horrible crashing ride where you felt every bump, .......

Agree that ride quality in a modern hatch is mostly poor. Neither our Focus nor our Octavia are good. In fact, there's better refinement and ride quality in our 13 year old Corolla.

Is there a hatch out there with a decent ride quality over our broken road surfaces? I'd be keen on whatever it is.

The worst ride of any car I've been in lately is an Audi TT. Awful.

Is there a hatch out there with a decent ride quality over our broken road surfaces? I'd be keen on whatever it is.

The worst ride of any car I've been in lately is an Audi TT. Awful.

Half the problem is huge wheels and elastic band tyres, almost compulsory fitment unless you buy the very basic model, which get called poverty spec which i find ironic when so many cars need to be financed to own, but maybe thats me.

Two hatchbacks have stood out to me as really soft riding, Corsa and Note1, both of which were sitting on small wheels and tyres with lots of sidewall, the Note impressed me with how it rode potholes.

I expect lots of cars, if on tyres of 60 absolute minimum, but preferably 70, aspect tyres, would be smoother and quieter, plus cheap tyres a welcome bonus, i'm sure that really soft riding Corsa was on 80 aspect tyres, which i haven't seen on a modern car for years.

Your problem is finding a test drive on sensible wheels, when the demo is usually one that has showroom (bling) appeal and likely to be on the biggest wheels they could spec, then you need to insist on taking your own route for the test drive on suitable surfaces not the billiard smooth dual carriageway they prefer.

My friends Golf 7 is horrid, its on 19" joke wheels, the noise of which has to be heard to be believed, running over a cats eye makes you wince, probably a similar set up to the TT you 'enjoyed' so much..:-).

If you want a smooth ride over our third world roads i can recommend Landcruiser LC5 on air shocks, but that might not be quite what you wanted, more sensibly would you consider Forester?

Edited by gordonbennet on 12/03/2017 at 13:04

Help with choice please. - SLO76
I find the ride on the current VW Polo (with sensible wheels and tyres) to be very supple compared to any other modern supermini I've tried in recent years. It's light years ahead of the 59 plate Mk II Honda Jazz I sourced for my mother. We bought the Polo for commuting so economy, comfort, high speed stability and the ability to take a pram safely in the boot with the parcel shelf in place were the priorities all of which the Polo 1.2 TDi fulfills.

However the engine range is the weak point with the Polo with the 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 normally asperated units lacking midrange pull for motorway use and the excellent later belt driven 1.2 TSi still commanding strong money. The 1.2 diesel is good for distance driving with enough torque to keep pace with motorway traffic and a characterful 3cyl engine note for a diesel. DPF issues are almost guaranteed with low mileage use.

A loan of a new VW UP! has reminded me just how good the Polo is regarding ride quality, road noise and straight line stability at speed.

Edited by SLO76 on 12/03/2017 at 18:13

Help with choice please. - daveyK_UK
I find the ride on the current VW Polo (with sensible wheels and tyres) to be very supple compared to any other modern supermini I've tried in recent years. It's light years ahead of the 59 plate Mk II Honda Jazz I sourced for my mother. We bought the Polo for commuting so economy, comfort, high speed stability and the ability to take a pram safely in the boot with the parcel shelf in place were the priorities all of which the Polo 1.2 TDi fulfills. However the engine range is the weak point with the Polo with the 1.0, 1.2 and 1.4 normally asperated units lacking midrange pull for motorway use and the excellent later belt driven 1.2 TSi still commanding strong money. The 1.2 diesel is a good for distance driving with enough torque to keep pace with motorway traffic and a characterful 3cyl engine note for a diesel. No use at this budget though and DPF issues are almost guaranteed with low mileage use. A loan of a new VW UP! has reminded me just how good the Polo is regarding ride quality, road noise and straight line stability at speed.

I would avoid the 1.0 ecoboost ford engine in anything out of warranty, increasing number of horror stories.

Dont get me wrong, its a brilliant engine when working, I recently had a 1,0 eco boost in a Fiesta as a hire car and it would rev upto 100mph without a problem, I enjoyed it except the seats were not very supportive on a long journey and the lack of an arm rest made it tiresome.

But I have aquatancies who have suffered with this engine in the Focus and Fiesta. Both had clutch/transmission problems.