MOT check website - Julie Adams

Just how accurate is the MOT checker site? I've just entered a car registration and it's come up as a diesel. However it's being sold as a petrol...... is it possible the site is wrong?

MOT check website - RobJP

Which site are you going to ? The official DVLA one ?

Far more likely that someone has selected the wrong drop-down box in the car sales advert.

Which site are you going to ? The official DVLA one ?

Far more likely that someone has selected the wrong drop-down box in the car sales advert.

This one www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

They've even put it as petrol in the description on auto trader. I'm just wary as I've seen so many dodgy adverts on there when I was looking for a van a few years ago. It seems impossible to keep them out

MOT check website - badbusdriver

Not sure what mot checker website you are refering to?. However, if it is the dvla website, which i believe will tell you this info, it will be correct. This would then suggest the seller has put down petrol by mistake. What car is it, and what are the details provided?

Thisbis the car. Description also says petrol.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170202192...3

MOT check website - RT

Thisbis the car. Description also says petrol.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20170202192...3

The reg number in that ad comes up as petrol on the DVLA Vehicle Check website vehicleenquiry.service.gov.uk/ViewVehicle

On here it comes up as diesel so I guess it's the website that's wrong

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

MOT check website - RT

On here it comes up as diesel so I guess it's the website that's wrong

www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

It would be interesting to know what the MoT test computer shows - that may apply different emissions limits.

MOT check website - badbusdriver

This is a weird one, i'd be very surprised if the dvla website was incorrect. But, i am pretty sure if the car was a diesel it would have a badge indicating this on the tailgate, something like cdti. Also, on the engine picture, again, no indication of it being diesel but i can make out 'dohc 16v' on the plastic cover. Which suggests petrol to me!?.

MOT check website - RobJP

Advert says petrol

Car tax website says petrol

MOT site says diesel.

Rob says go find a different car, and save yourself any potential headaches ...

MOT check website - Galaxy

I reckon it's a petrol.

But it's been wrongly registered by the supplying dealer as a petrol when new. Surprised this hasn't been picked up when the car has been MOT'd, though. It's a bit of a mystery.

Perhaps the dealer put the wrong plates on the wrong car - it's happened before!

Edit......................Definitely a petrol!

Should have a "CRDi" badge on the tailgate if it's a diesel, like this one:

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kia-ceed-3-1-6TD-estate-113bhp-...O

Edited by Galaxy on 22/02/2017 at 12:42

MOT check website - daveyjp

Rev counter on the ad photo shows 8,000 rpm. Images of diesel shows the rev counter only goes 6,000 rpm.

MOT check website - Galaxy

Glad we agree!

I emailed the seller and they confirmed it was petrol and said they didn't understand why it was coming up as diesel in the MOT history check. I have decided to give it a miss as buying a car is enough hassle without things that don't match up

MOT check website - SLO76
Mistakes like this are still surprisingly common. I was offered a Mitsubishi Colt 1.1 5dr a couple of years back but quick look on the V5 showed it was registered as a 3dr. Stopped me buying as it would take too long to sort for selling on but the seller did contact me a couple of months later saying he had managed to get the details rectified and a new V5 issued.

Where details are being manually entered by human beings mistakes will happen and it's a handy reminder not to add any unnecessary details when filling in the V5 when buying or selling. You are asked (but not obliged) to fill in the current mileage but one didgit wrong and it can throw up a mileage discrepancy on a check which will affect resale value... leave it blank.

Edited by SLO76 on 22/02/2017 at 20:29

In the late 80's I worked in a ford main dealer for a short time and this sort of thing happened back then. More than one car ended up registered with the wrong plates and we even had a punch up in the showroom one one of those mistakes. That was fun!