Saab 9 3 - Exporting and Importing a Car - Brian Murphy

Hi, Hoping I can get some advice on this topic, basically I had purchased a private Reg, B1 MHY. I had it on my Black saab 9 3 and sold the car to a guy from Dublin, ROI. I never had experience in changing plates and wasnt aware that I had to put the plate on retention first. The buyer re registered the car within 28 Days and got a ROI Plate, 10 - MH - ....., and in the North the car is still showing as on the car I sold. I called the DVA and was advised that it is gone unless the car comes back into the North. The buyer will work with me but my only concern is VRT. If the car is brought back into N. Ireland, re registered, MOT's and Tax''s for the purpose of retention. and goes back to ROI, will the buyer need to pay the €1800 he paid originally? Thanks

Saab 9 3 - Exporting and Importing a Car - RobJP

Yes, the buyer would need to pay VRT again. So I assume they'd insist on you footing the bill.

You would also need to re-pay any import tax, re-registration fees, etc. that might be applicable.

Unless the plate is worth well over £2000, I'd say to accept that it's gone.

Considering that B1 xxx plates are available from DVLA for £999 (B1 MHV would look quite similar, and is £999 all inclusive) then I'd say to take the hit, and learn for the future.

Saab 9 3 - Exporting and Importing a Car - Brit_in_Germany

The simplest solution would be to contact the dvla and ask to buy your old number back again. As Rob points out, they are all £999.

The plate B1 MHY isnt showing on the DVLA website, is there still a chance I could buy it back?

Edited by Brian Murphy on 07/02/2017 at 11:26

There is the contact DVLA button if you cannot find the registration you are looking for.

Saab 9 3 - Exporting and Importing a Car - RobJP

The plate B1 MHY isnt showing on the DVLA website, is there still a chance I could buy it back?

DVLA do say on their website :

Previously issued registrations are not resurrected for sale, even if they are no longer on a vehicle. Should this situation change, we will ensure that full details appear on this website

So that scuppers that idea then unless you can sweet talk someone into letting you have the plate back.

Thanks for the reply.. I just wanted to make sure before I called it an expensive lesson. Ill have to go for B2 MHY now at this stage I think.

So really then If I ask the buyer not to pass me when he intends to sell the car I could buy the car back of him and take it back up and retain it then? Is there a time frame?