Skoda Superb - Paging Skidpan (and any other new Superb owners) - craig-pd130

@Skidpan or any other new Superb owners, can I get your ownership impressions please?

Especially interested in views about the 1.4TSI petrol as a possible company car choice, they seem to be pretty good on benefit-in-kind tax, and are less likely to be punitively taxed in the future compared to diesels.

I'm currently favouring a BMW 2-series plug-in hybrid for my next car, but might have to have a nosey around the Superb as they do look good and seem to tick all the boxes: roomy, comfy etc.

Skoda Superb - Paging Skidpan (and any other new Superb owners) - skidpan

Not got the car yet, probably at the dealer now awating delivery 01 March but on the test drive it met all my expectations. After almost 4 years the 1.4 TSi 140 PS is a familiar friend and the 150 PS version in the Superb felt no different. Interesting to see the dash light up on the open road informing you that ACT was working but never noticed the change from 4 to 2 cylinders or vice versa. Obviously the car is bigger and heavier but performance felt fine even in the hills close to home. For such a large car it was nimble enough on the narrow lanes, better than I expected in that respect. On A roads/dual carraigeways its very quiet and the ride is well controlled. Some comment its a bit wallowy but I must say I never noticed, appeared nicely controlled on all surfaces/road types. We had it for a good 2 hours so had plenty of opportunity to ensure we liked it.

Must say though that the Leon made a more instant impression when we tried that but it was probably the engine that was immediately so outstanding. After 4 years we have become accustomed to its virtues so we probably focused on the whole car more with the Superb.

I paid about £18500 (with 0% finance) plus a few extras via Carfile for the SE version which has all the kit anyone could need. The next day there was an £800 price increase (we knew about it) which was being blamed on Brexit, another name for profiteering.

There is no better value for money surely but that does not mean its a car for everyone. We are lucky to have a longer garage at the new house, it would not have fitted at the old one.

Get a good test drive, its certainly up there with the best.

thanks to you both!

Skoda Superb - Paging Skidpan (and any other new Superb owners) - Avant

I have the same very favourable impression of this engine as Skidpan. But Autocar has tested the Audi Q2 with the same engine and found that there was noticeable turbo lag below 2000 rpm.

I can't see why it should vary from car to car, but you'd need to try a 1.4 Superb and see.

Skoda Superb - Paging Skidpan (and any other new Superb owners) - SLO76
Haven't driven the current car but I'm a fan and really rate the previous model as a used buy. Solidly built, loads of room, most engines are good on fuel and very comfortable all round. It's one of the few modern family cars to ride properly.

I would certainly buy one and for the £18,500 skidpan got his for it certainly is a lot of car for the money. Only fear is the depreciation on the petrol hatchback which doesn't appeal to the taxi trade as the diesel does and thus will lose out on a greater market when it comes to resale. A Diesel estate is likely to cost noticeably less over the term depending on discount.

I'll possibly be looking at used estates next time but the management didn't like the look of the previous model when I suggested it last time.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/02/2017 at 15:09

A Diesel estate is likely to cost noticeably less over the term depending on discount. I'll possibly be looking at used estates next time but the management didn't like the look of the previous model when I suggested it last time.

A diesel estate to the exact same spec as the one I have on order would have been an extra £2000. Based on HJ's Real MPG figures I would save about £325 in fuel costs so not worth considering. Would I get another £1675 when I sell it it 3 years time, I doubt it.

But in the meantime I could possibly have DPF issues since I only do about 8000 miles a year, any problems would make the cost gap far wider.

But having had a 1.4 TSi for almost 4 years I would tell anyone its a better drive than any diesel I have owned and for 20 years I was a massive fan of diesels due to their low down torque. The much wider powerband of the TSi more than makes up for the loss of torque compared to the diesel plus the lower gearing of the petrol also makes the car feel quicker.

As for turbo lag, our 140PS has none, pulls from 1500 rpm. The Superb we test drove felt exactly the same but its fair to say the larger sizeweight did dull the performance slightly.

All cars depreciate and large cars depreciate faster. But I find that if you buy from the sweetspot of the range you can minimise your losses and personally I think the SE trim is the sweespot and either the 150 petrol or diesel are the engines to have depending on your usage.

Feel sorry for the loony's on the Superb forum who are spending the best part of £40,000 on full kitted out L & K petrols. They are going to take a massive hit.

Agree the SE is the sweet spot and the 1.4 TSi is a brilliant engine that from all accounts has good command over the car and for low mileage users the diesels aren't an option but the bulk of used Superbs end up as taxis and petrol still holds little appeal here so I'd say you'd make up every penny of that extra outlay in 3yrs. The best for residuals would be the 1.6 TDi SE Estate but it won't suit everyone.

I haven't looked but the contract hire rates will be interesting. On our CRV the more costly 1.6 diesel was cheaper to lease than the 2.0 petrol when we were last car shopping because of those stronger residuals larger cars command with a Diesel engine. Though with plans to ban them in some areas who knows how long this will last

The pick of the range is rarely the top of the range. Daft wide wheels with painted on tyres which ruin the ride, pointless rarely used extra tech and a hugely inflated price tag that will deflate to buttons more than bottom spec car after three years and it's a recipe for regret. As much as I like the big Skoda you'd be daft to f*** out £40k on one.

Edited by SLO76 on 02/02/2017 at 19:09

I haven't looked but the contract hire rates will be interesting. On our CRV the more costly 1.6 diesel was cheaper to lease than the 2.0 petrol when we were last car shopping because of those stronger residuals larger cars command with a Diesel engine.

Business contract hire rates (3 payments upfront + 35 monthly payments @ 10K miles per year) are around £260 per month for a 1.4TSI 150bhp in SE trim, and £240 for a 2.0TDI 150bhp in SE trim.

That's very cheap for a car with that spec. Also makes them quite efficient on BIK tax for the driver too: under £1K per year for a 20% taxpayer, under £2K for a 40% taxpayer. The diesel costs more in tax because it falls in a higher tax band.

Thought the diesel would work out cheaper and that's the 2.0 not the 1.6.

Our Honda CRV 1.6DTEC SE-T costs £259 a month after a deposit of just over £1,200 after a bit of shopping around online I managed to get a reasonably local main dealer to match an internet quote the 2.0 petrol was at least £20 a mth dearer. Honda contract hire originally wanted £320.

This site leaves me very confused sometimes. The constant theme from many (sensible) posters is if you do only low annual mileage don't buy a modern diesel, a view I subscribe to. Yet on this thread the advice appears to be buy the diesel, it will save you money not only on fuel but also on deprciation.

Whilst I accept that the diesel will be worth more at 3 years I doubt it will recoup the £2000 purchase price difference. But even if it performed vastly better over 3 years any advantage could be lost with costly DPF issues.

So whilst past performasnce is no gaurantee of will happen in the future I have investigated used values of 3 years old Superb petrol and diesel models. Back then the petrol was the 125 PS model and the diesel was the 140 PS and to do a direct comparison I have had to use the S trim for both (no petrol 1.4 SE).

So in March 2014 a Superb diesel woul have cost £1800 more than the identical trim 1.4 TSi. With 30,000 miles the diesel is now worth £1450 more as a PX.

Thus in pure depreciation terms the 1.4 TSi would ahve save the owner £350 but that would have probably have been spent in extra fuel over those miles.

So based on that over 3 years for a private owner its pretty much identical.

Guess its down to personal preference and acceptance of the DPF risk over low annual milages.

Might be different for bussiness leasing customers but having done some investigations its nothing like the difference quoted above.

Using the same company, some mileage (10,000 pa), same deposit the diesel was £210 pm whereas the petrol was £224 pm. But from the users viewpoint the petrol is cheaper. BIK for a basic rate taxpayer is £74 for the petrol and £81 for the diesel.

Personally I think its an honorable draw.

Skoda Superb - Paging Skidpan (and any other new Superb owners) - Avant

"Whilst I accept that the diesel will be worth more at 3 years I doubt it will recoup the £2000 purchase price difference. But even if it performed vastly better over 3 years any advantage could be lost with costly DPF issues."

True, and I think that those very issues will gradually mean that diesels will no longer have this advantage over petrols. We are forever discouraging people on here from buying used diesels, and we can't be the only ones.

The charging infrastructure isn't ready for mass buying of EVs yet, even if battery range is improving. The short-term future I think in in the new high-efficiency petrol engines like the VW Group TFSI / TSI and the Peugeot / Citroen 1.2. Not sure about the long-term reliability of the 3-cylinder turbos that everyone is offering.

Talking of diesel v petrol, interestingly (well I think it's interesting anyway....) SWMBO's new and still running-in A1 1.4 TFSI is managing the same mpg as the diesel V60: low 40s on short runs and 50 on a long run. The A1 hasn't so far been further than 100 miles from home so it has the potential to do even better. (Figures after allowing for 2 mpg optimism on both cars' trip computers.) It's possible that a manual V60 would do a bit better than this.

Anyway the V60 will have to last, so not worried about residuals there: the A1 should hopefully do well after 3 years.

"This site leaves me very confused sometimes. The constant theme from many (sensible) posters is if you do only low annual mileage don't buy a modern diesel, a view I subscribe to. Yet on this thread the advice appears to be buy the diesel, it will save you money not only on fuel but also on deprciation."

You misunderstand me skidpan. I'm not marking the 1.4 down, it is a better choice for low mileage users. I was merely pointing out that the main market for used Superbs is the taxi trade who do not favour petrol engines, in fact rightly or wrongly our local authority stipulates that a taxi must have an engine larger than 1600cc which completely ruled out the excellent big Skoda unless it has a Diesel engine.

As for the depreciation figures you quote well they're just numbers on a sheet and since it's just a new car we won't know where it will stand in 3-4yrs compared to the diesel. The trend certainly is moving from the Diesel engine but currently demand for used diesel Superbs of the previous gen is much higher than the petrol and prices substantially higher. The lease firms understand this thus the higher rates for the cheaper petrol.

Edited by SLO76 on 05/02/2017 at 17:20

Skoda Superb - Paging Skidpan (and any other new Superb owners) - Fishermans Bend
THE BRAND NEW SUPERB 2.0CR 150PS SPORTLINE HATCH OR ESTATE WITH FREE METALLIC PAINT ON ŠKODA FINANCE 'PERSONAL CONTRACT HIRE' DEAL AT AN AMAZING £2490 INITIAL RENTAL AND JUST £229 PER MONTH.

This offer is available on ŠKODA Finance 'Personal Contract Hire' with just £2490 deposit and then 23 payments of £229 per month. Mileage allowance is 10000 per annum, excess total contract mileage above 20000 will be charged at 8.4p per mile. All prices are inclusive of VAT.

It just gets better and better ...... as this incredible deal also includes Free Metallic Paint and Road Fund Licence for two years.

We have saved large amounts of money in the past buying diesels instead of petrols plus before the introduction of small petrol turbo's the driving charisteristics and economy of diesles were in a totally different league.

Take the last diesel we bought as an example which was a 2010 Kia Ceed SW.

It cost £1300 than the identically specced petrol but where the petrol was a noisy slug the diesel was a joy to drive both locally and on long trips. We kept it 5 years and when we sold it (back to the garage we bought it from) based on WBAC (who I checked before going ahead with the deal) we got about £1500 more than the identical petrol would have been worth thus we were already £200 up. Over the almost 5 years we owned it I would estimate we saved over £1500 in fuel costs and £400 in VED costs.

Thats a total saving of over £2100.

If the petrol Superb had been a N/A slug with poor fuel economy and high VED I would probably have considered the diesel but when the VAG TSi's are so incredible for both performance and economy there is no need to take the diesel route and risk.