Volvo v70 1.6d - V70 cutting out - scottblox
My Volvo V70 keeps cutting out and its getting slowly worse. Anyone any cheap home fixes to try before I bite the bullet and make an expensive visit to the garage.

When you throttle up at a standard rate and it will get to 3000rpm-ish then go in to limp/low power mode with the engine warning light on. If you continue to accelerate it will cut out. If you back off it will stay running in low power mode.

Turn it off and restart and it resets back to normal.

Floor the throttle and it will cut out immediately no warning given. .

Tease it up with a very low throttle and it will happily run all the way up to the rev limiter.

It hates hills and has cut out a number of times even with quite low throttle.

Any info welcome
Volvo v70 1.6d - V70 cutting out - elekie&a/c doctor
I guess this is fitted with the Ford/Psa engine found in a Focus.These are very sensitive to restricted fuel flow due to filter blockage.Probably a good first step would be to replace it.
Volvo v70 1.6d - V70 cutting out - SLO76
It is the very same now notorious PSA 1600 diesel. As the good doctor suggests a dirty fuel filter could cause this so it's first port of call. Quick look in your service history should tell you when it was last changed if at all. Though there are loads of problems with this engine and it is well known for its fragility.
Volvo v70 1.6d - V70 cutting out - Ian D
You really need to get the fault codes read, especially as the check engine light is coming on, even a cheap £30 reader may give you the answer, or it may need a better diagnostic package. I had similar on a Focus 1.6 tdci and my cheap Autel reader showed a MAF fault, trip to Euro Car Parts, new MAF and sorted. The code reader may give you a fuel delivery pressure or pump fault, so if changing the fuel filter makes no difference may be pump related.

Edited by Ian D on 30/01/2017 at 07:53

Volvo v70 1.6d - V70 cutting out - scottblox
Gents thanks so far. I'll change the fuel filter and see where we go. I've also been advised that these have an issue with the "fuel solenoid relay" not sure if they ment fuel pump or fuel shut off solenoid or something else. Fuel filter first and then I'll get back to you all

Cheers
Volvo v70 1.6d - V70 cutting out - pd

Strangely enough this engine never seems to give anywhere near as much grief in Volvos than it does in other cars it is fitted too.

I can't think of any logical reason why except that Volvo owners service their cars better.

Fuel filter sounds a good start but you really need to get it code read to pin point the problem. If there are codes relating to fuel pressure then fuel flter is a good candidate - they should be changed more regularly then the service schedule says.

Volvo v70 1.6d - V70 cutting out - skidpan

At the last place I worked at we had several Volvo's with this engine and hundreds of Peugeot/Citroens. We even had a few Fords. Me and the Mrs had a Focus fitted with one.

None of those cars ever had an issue and we kept them until 150,000 miles. All were correctly serviced using the correct oils etc.

Its an engine that will not tolerate neglect or wrong oils and most of those that fail have probably been neglected or filled with cheap oils etc.