Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - MikeM100

Fuel station forecourt air lines are now literally - a 'wheeze' ! In the olden days somewhere there used to be a compressor and an air tank reservoir. Inflating flat tyres just took moments.

Most forecourts now use 'Pay As You Go' coin operated air lines that typically cost at least 50p for a miserly four minutes or so.

Not too unreasonable perhaps as whilst they say air is free, it is argued that someone has to pay for the equipment. (The days of complimentary customer services are long gone and would be far too much to expect)

However, I find that modern air lines are painfully slow in operation. They huff and they puff and then they 'blow' the tyres up, managing only a few PSI increase every 20 seconds or so. They then need a 'little rest' to measure the actual tyre pressure before they can continue their Herculean exertions.

Often it is impossible to inflate four tyres within the alloted time and more money must be paid.

Would this just be a cunning 'wheeze' to extract more money from us I ask myself every time I use them ?

Maybe I am too cynical and there are good health and safety technical reasons ? Anyone know ?

MikeM

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - skidpan

Why not buy a foot pump and do it at home. Only takes minutes and is free once you have the pump which lasts years, my current one was bought in the 80's.

Don't buy an electric pump, waste of time. Takes forever to drag the cable about and if you need more than a couple of PSI the motor burns out before its finished, been there got the badge and a refund.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - gordonbennet

Sainbury's filling stations still have free air, and long may that continue.

The days of the public being allowed free access to main high pressure high volume workshop air lines are a thing of the past, compressed air is dangerous stuff in the wrong hands.

You can buy better electric inflators for home use, i have one that Paddock Spares (Landrover parts) sell for about £60, its a twin cylinder jobbie that has been trouble free for years and will fully inflate a typical car tyre from flat in about 2 minutes.

Because I am lazy !

I do have an ancient, beautifully engineered, all metal 'SUTTY' foot pump that I inherited from my father-in-law but sadly the brass pressure gauge is now broken.

So, I have to pump and guess 'high' and then use my similarly ancient FISK sliding tube type type gauge (that I inherited from my Dad) to check and deflate the tyre to the correct pressure. The process is a (tiny) bit of a pain and I really should repair/replace the foot pump gauge !

I also have tucked away in my garage a 'cheapo' Chinese electric pump that is noisy, slow and as you say a 'waste of time'. It has a rotary gauge that inconveniently reads up to 300 PSI full scale so that readings of around 30PSI are very inaccurate (useless)!

I also have a broken (dumped by my son) Chinese quality foot pump made out plastic and utterly unfit for purpose.

So I really must scour the Internet and find a rotary pressure gauge that reads up to say 50PSI and that will fit my lovely SUTTY pump.

MikeM

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - brum

I do have an ancient, beautifully engineered, all metal 'SUTTY' foot pump that I inherited from my father-in-law but sadly the brass pressure gauge is now broken.

Do I detect an oxym oron?

Edited by brum on 09/01/2017 at 13:15

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - 72 dudes

As GB says, Sainsburys make no charge. I work p/t at one and customers are often surprised when they ask how much the airline costs.

The flip side to this is that they can be abused. Roughly every three weeks, ours is rendered useless by some burk or burkess tugging it too hard or driving over it when they've finished. Out goes the "out of order" cover and as we're on a 48 hour call out, lots of unhappy customers.

Unlike skidpan's experience, I've got an electric compressor which I've had for at least 10 years, and it works really well. I sometimes double check the pressures with a precision tube style "pen" but it's always spot on.

IIRC it was £20 from Argos.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - Bromptonaut

Don't buy an electric pump, waste of time. Takes forever to drag the cable about and if you need more than a couple of PSI the motor burns out before its finished, been there got the badge and a refund.

We had an electric one inherited when Mrs B's Mum gave up driving. It worked for many years until my son broke the connection where it plugs in car. A Halfords branded replacement works equally well and both cars have a 12v socket in boot so no faff to connect.

Tyre inflation gig at home goes to the jump starter which includes a decent compressor.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - barney100

I always inflate the tyres at home with my trusty foot pump or the electric one that came with the last car.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - galileo

Often it is impossible to inflate four tyres within the alloted time and more money must be paid.

I sometimes use the local Shell airline, I take all the valve caps off before putting the coin in, plrnty of time to do all four and the spare, then re fit the caps. Still usually a minute or so left.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - focussed

Why not just buy your own small mains air compressor? Like this one:-

www.amazon.co.uk/AIR-COMPRESSOR-5-7-230V-LITRE/dp/...s

Just add a cheap airline extension and a tyre inflator and a blow gun for cleaning and you're sorted for the Sunday morning maintenance session.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - bathtub tom

I like the airlines I've found in foreign filling stations. Two valve connectors on long enough tubes, joined by a Y piece so you get the same pressure in a pair of tyres.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - Bilboman

Another classic combination of the H & S - mad Nanny State and Rip-off Britain (sigh.) I've yet to find a filling station in Spain, France or Portugal which has the gall to charge for such a basic service. Come to that, I've yet to hear of someone ever blowing his head off, eyes out or eardrums in through misuse. (As pump attendants are all but non-existent, I'm surprised no one has made a risk assessment of Joe/Jill Public actually dispensing fuel without supervision and a compulsory, hi-viz Ghostbusters outfit, but I digress...)

Edited by Bilboman on 09/01/2017 at 19:51

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - Wackyracer

The local fuel station here just has a compressor in a steel box and a curly hose, it's free to use.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - Wackyracer

Come to that, I've yet to hear of someone ever blowing his head off, eyes out or eardrums in through misuse.

A chap I worked with was pumping up the rear tyre on a unit which was very low on pressure, the tyre exploded taking off most of the mudguard and the rear light cluster. His nose was cut quite badly from the flying debris and I was called in to cover the rest of his shift.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - Bolt

Honda give an electric tyre pump with their cars and they work very quick,at least ours do.

I have been injured by tyre pumps years ago so I know they can be dangerous

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - John F

Morrisons also give free compressed air if you buy their petrol. But I don't trust garage gauges and rely on two ancient metal ones (one from my pa's old Rover 105S tool drawer, now a collectors item?) which read within 1psi of each other.

I have just 'treated' myself to a new Draper Gauge for £4.89 from ebay

Reads 0-60 PSI so reasonable resolution for car tyres.

Thanks for tips about Sainsbury and Morrison free airlines and warnings about the danger of 'proper' air lines.

I seem to recall a storyline that a Coronation Street character was killed by an exploding tyre ?

Like the French dual hose system.

From a H&S point of view it is amazing that we are still allowed to fill our vehicles with petrol.

Bring back petrol pump attendants I say. I had a summer job in the Sixties as one and earned a fortune in tips. I even offered a screen clean with a proper chamois leather.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - peter moss

Back in the 80 i had a longtrip to do so pulled into a supermarket garage to check the tyre pressures with btheir airline back on the motorway i was knocking it out a bit 85 mph [yes i know to fast ] when the rear of the car volvo 245 gle est started surfing =slight left to right movement took my foot off to pull in and check but there was a violent explosion from the rear and the car bucked slightly ,the tyre was blown apart , i check the other tyres and they were very hot so i let some pressure out ,turns out the garage gauge was faulty and over pressured the tyres the thing that saved me was i had just fitted a pair of munroe self leveling air shocks on the rear a month eariler and the second the tyre blew out it compensated ,

since then iv always carried a pocket tyre gauge in the car dash and checked them when using garage airlines .

As for mini electric ones i do have one just in case and it says 200psi i think it would take a week to reach that but reading the spec it does say dont use for more than 2 minuets !

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - FoxyJukebox

What worries me is the number of people who I am quite sure never ever bother to check their tyre pressures AT ALL. I suppose it is these same people who put their faith in squirty stuff in cans for when they have a puncture?

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - skidpan

turns out the garage gauge was faulty and over pressured the tyres

Over pressurising tyres does not cause tyres to overheat and explode.

Being underpressuried causes tyres to overheat and potentially fail, that is what happens when you get a puncture on the motorway and are unaware of the pressure loss.

Tyres are well capable of being inflated to virtually the double recomended pressure with no safety risk. All you will get is an unbearably hard ride which anyone with a degree of mechanical sympathy should spot.

I would assume that the tyre that failed had a defect and lost pressure. Overpressuring could possibly have caused the defect to develop enough to allow the pressure loss and subsequent failure.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - concrete

I have a Halfords compressor which works via the 12 volts outlets in the car. Now about 10 years old. Inflates tyres without a problem. I check and adjust all 5 regularly (porous alloys now!) and it does this easily. Gets a bit warm but not so it cannot be touched. Accurate too, every now and then I check it against my AA pencil gauge. Useful piece of kit to have in the boot and one day it got my friend out of a situation.

Cheers Concrete

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - nellyjak

I have a Halfords compressor which works via the 12 volts outlets in the car. Now about 10 years old. Inflates tyres without a problem. I check and adjust all 5 regularly (porous alloys now!) and it does this easily. Gets a bit warm but not so it cannot be touched. Accurate too, every now and then I check it against my AA pencil gauge. Useful piece of kit to have in the boot and one day it got my friend out of a situation.

Cheers Concrete

Me too.!....My Halfords unit is at least 10 years old and still works fine...used it only a few days ago...and even the guage is fairly accurate when measured against my Draper "dial" guage.

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - FoxyJukebox

Indeed-people who do not check tyres( and yes-a £5 footpump is THE answer) are the same people who never ever check their oil, top up their windscreen washer water or even know where the switch is for opening the bonnet?

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - A New Wheeze - MikeM100

Both my local fuel stations have now imposed a minimum £1.00 charge to 'start' the airline !

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - A New Wheeze - davecooper

Believe it or not, I have found that my bicycle track type pump is as quick as anything at topping up tyres. £5 from Lidl if my memory serves me well!

Huff 'n' Puff Air Lines - captain pugwash

Get in touch with Gordon at www.vintagepumps.co.uk and he will gladly supply you with a restored 1940/50's classic British made Kismet Duplex brass and Sheffield steel footpump.It will be something you will treasure and it will outlive you. No more paying and queueing at the petrol station and it will top up your pressure in moments. His website is a joy to behold. Give it a look.