Hit parked car. Grateful for opinions/advice - Swan25

Hi all

I accidentally reversed into a parked car a few days ago. I didn't see that it's bumper was overhanging the space it was in. Still, my fault. Small scratch to both vehicles. No owner in sight. I stopped, went into the reception and gave my name/number/other car's reg number. Then left the area, returning within about 30 mins after reading online I should also leave a note on the car. Left a note on the car with name/number/apology. Went back twice more that day in the hope of catching them to speak to, car still there but no owner around.

Later that night, after reading online, reported it to police on 101 as hadn't heard from the owners. Officer on the phone said to take my documents to local police station, and said something like "well it's supposed to be within 24 hours but just pop in over the next few days". Went to police station the next morning, approx 15 mins after the 24 hours would have expired. She wrote the time reported to police as the time I attended the station. I pointed out I'd reported it by phone the night before. She said not to worry as I had an incident number generated the night before to confirm. Gave a written account of what had happened. The lady at police desk (not an officer) said I wouldn't hear any more from the police.

Fast forward a few days, I've heard nothing from owners, nor have my insurance company, and am fretting about further police action. In particular:

- I initially left scene without leaving a note (though did report it to reception before I left, and then returned with a note). Also didn't leave my address, just name and number. Could this be considered failure to stop/report?

- The time I attended the police station was just after 24 hours (I had reported on 101 earlier, but have since read it's supposed to be reported in person. However, my local police force's website states to report minor traffic collisions to 101).

- Could this incident be considered driving without due care?

I've no idea what happens with the collision report, whether they are all investigated etc and whether I can expect to hear any more. Does anyone know if there is a way of finding out? I certainly don't want to make a nuisance of myself to the police, but if there is a likelihood I might in line for legal action I'd really like to know.

Thank you so much for reading this long post. Would be so grateful for your opinions.

Hit parked car. Grateful for opinions/advice - RobJP

Your actions have been more than reasonable. I would say commendable.

There's no chance of any sort of criminal charges, in my opinion. If the police pursued every such minor matter, then they'd be snowed under.

You've done everything you could reasonably have been expected to do. Quite possibly the other party has looked at the scratch, seen tyhe note, and decided that as you've been so honest they aren't going to even bother about getting it repaired. Or perhaps they've still not noticed the damage, and might do so in a few months.

Thank you so much RobJP for your reassuring reply. I've been going out of my mind wondering what might happen.

I just took the bull by the horns and called the collisions unit. She said they wouldn't have received it yet and most likely I'll get a "no further action" letter in a few months time, but should get a collision reference before that. She said it didn't matter that I'd initially left the scene before returning, as I'd reported to police. She also said the reporting in person after 24 hours didn't matter as it was logged within the 24 hours. She didn't seem to think there would be any criminal charges or cautions. Fingers crossed.

Thank you once again. It is so helpful to be able to talk to people who know about this sort of thing.

Hit parked car. Grateful for opinions/advice - FP

A couple of brief observations, since the issues surrounding this have been well covered already: one, it's good to get a post from someone to whom the whole idea of accepting responsibility means something. Too often we are faced with posters who want their egos massaged when they've done something wrong, or - worse - want us to tell them that wiggling out of responsibility is OK, or even how to do that.

Two, it's unfortunate that, along with a well-developed sense of responsibility, the OP seems to have been over-anxious and stressed about the whole thing. They are possibly an inexperienced driver? Accidents will happen and one needs to accept that and deal with things the right way. There's never any point in beating yourself up about an honest mistake, error of judgement or whatever. Just do the right thing, learn from the mistake and move on.

A few years ago I left a paint mark (and possibly a slight dent, though I couldn't tell in the poor lighting) on a BMW in a mulit-storey car park. I left a note with my details. Never heard back.

Edited by FP on 22/11/2016 at 14:53

Hit parked car. Grateful for opinions/advice - concrete

Well said FP. Swan is a good citizen and should be commended for it. The vast majority of people would have just examined the 'damage', though it was very slight and simply drove off.

I too have left notes in the past. One I never heard from. Another, as it turned out was a woman driving her husbands car. Believe me the 'damage' was a barely visible scrape on the edge of the bumper, it was a Saab with enough bumper for two cars. I expected at worst a bill for some body shop to poilsh it out. The husband telephoned me demanding a new bumper, fitted by the local Saab dealer and the cost was quoted in the hundreds. I pointed out that the scrape was so minor it was difficult to detect unless you knew precisely where to look. I asked him where abouts on the bumper the scrape is. Silence. He was flumoxed and started blustering. I told him to contact my solicitor and hung up. Never heard another thing. However that is the kind of person who puts people off from owning up. Self defeating eventually.

Cheers Concrete

Hit parked car. Grateful for opinions/advice - Falkirk Bairn

Neighbour opposite has a visitor, reverses out & hits my stationary car & attempts to drive off - she did not know I was in the car.

She agrees her fault, she will pay.

Few days later

I phone their home to get details as I had a quote from the supplying garage of my then new car. Husband - knock for knock - pay your own. I was stationary fixing the radio into the new car (cars did not have std fit radios in those days)

Off I trip to their home, on the dooorstep he refuses & said knock for knock.

I demand Insurer as is required by law - he said, he did not want insurer involved & promptly wrote a cheque for the estimate.

Oh wow Falkirk Bairn. It's beyond me how someone could say that?! I know you're not supposed to "admit fault" but surely in situations like this, there's really no way of denying it?

I'm really glad to hear they paid up in the end, but sorry it wasn't easy.

Someone smashed my wing mirror off last year, costing £150 for repair. No witness, no CCTV, no details left. It is inconvenient enough to get it sorted without people driving off or refusing to cough up. Well done for sticking up for yourself!

Thank you so much FP and Concrete for your kind and reassuring replies. I really am grateful.

I've been driving almost 16 years, clean license and no criminal record, both of which I'm very reliant on for work. That said, FP you are spot on about the anxiety and stress. That's why I came to this forum really - to see if I was being totally over the top about it (as my family all say - but are definitely not experts in this sort of thing) or if I really might need to expect police action. There are so many cases online of people who've been prosecuted for similar things. You've all really helped ease my mind and I hope that the police will take the same view and understand that I did my best to cross all the I's and dot the T's, just got some of them a bit muddled up!

I'm sorry to hear you've both also had similar prangs, and also about your experience Concrete. You are right about it putting people off reporting it, and such behaviour helps nothing. I've got photos of the damage I caused and am more than happy to pay for it if the owners are located. Just hoping very much that will be the end of it.

Thank you once again.