N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - RaineMan

Yesterday I suffered a puncture and had to fit the spacesaver spare. These are limited to 50mph and I would not have wanted to do more as it was raining heavily - I could feel tha I had an odd wheel. What was more scary was that to get home I covered about ten motorway miles. At one time I was terrified I was going to be rear ended when an artic raced up behind me despite it being relatively quiet in the middle lane. After tailgating for a few hundred yards he obviously concluded I was not going to go any faster and overtook. It is not about time manufacturers were made to provide full size spares? And as for this nonsense of providing no spare this is utter nonsense - the damage my tyre sustained would have left me stranded!

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - KB.

Maybe the manufacturers could provide a rolled up sign with four suckers to stick in the back window saying "Max. 50 mph. Spacesaver fitted". At least the lorry driver would realise it wasn't your fault just before he rear ends you.

Edited by KB. on 17/11/2016 at 14:50

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - oldroverboy.

Did you have the spacesaver (reserves a space in hospital i call them) fitted on the front?

you should always rotate a wheel to put a spacesaver on the rear.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - RT

Think yourself lucky you have a space-saver - an increasing number of models get no spare at all, just a can of gunk - fine for a nail in the tyre but nothing more major - and no where to store a spare even if you bought one.

I bought a VW Touareg, which gets a strange "collapsible" spare - normal width but small diameter and has to be inflated with the tyre compressor which is included - and found out about "tyre strings", very useful for simple punctures, don't even have to take the wheel off.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - brum

The spacesaver supplied in my sons Octavia saves no space. It is just a standard steel wheel fitted with a marginally skinnier 195/65 15 tyre instead of the 205/60 15 tyres on the alloys. A full size tyre/wheel would fit in the well without problem. Obviously just a penny pinching exercise or maybe a EU ploy to claim 1g/km off the CO2 figure.

It should be mandatory for manufacturers to give the option to supply a full size/speed rated spare, preferably a wheel that matches the running gear, i.e. alloy

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - gordonbennet

Stop buying cars that don't have essential equipment fitted, whilst you keep buying them they have no reason to sort this out.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - brum

Stop buying cars that don't have essential equipment fitted, whilst you keep buying them they have no reason to sort this out.

Increasingly new designs have no space allocated for a spare wheel. One of many reasons I didn't replace my MK1 Alhambra with the latest iteration, which although much wider and longer, feels smaller inside and has no space for a spare.

It's a nice principle to uphold - but makes the choice of new cars very restrictive.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - Engineer Andy

The problem is that very few decent cars come with (or at least a reasonably priced option) a full-sized spare tyre, so most people have no option but to buy a car that is great in all other respects.

I whole-heartedly agree with the opinions about the stupid 'saving CO2 emissions' argument, as people whose car is not fitted with a space saver or standard spare wheel/tyre does get ANY penalty in VED.

I'd rather have less gadgets to save the same few kilos, and besides, using the gunk often means a tyre is often ruined, thus we end up spending time, money and as a consequence, CO2, buying and fitting a brand new tyre (which costs CO2 etc to be made and the old one disposed of) that could've been repaired in times gone by.

Utterly stupid state of affairs.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - Wackyracer

There are very few of us that would actually have it on our check list when looking at cars to buy. Most people won't think about it until they are stranded at the side of the M25 in the rain and in the dark.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - Brit_in_Germany

Could you not have found a route home avoiding the motorway? Assuming of course that you did not get the puncture on the motorway and ignored advice and changed the wheel.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - Falkirk Bairn

Stranded at the roadside with adestroyed tyre can be very expensive - call out the tyre company charges PLUS a very full RRP for the tyre + fitting can leave you seriously out of pocket,

7/8 years ago DiL shredded what was at that point a "good tyre" She was £150/£160 (IIRC) for what could have been £60 for a new tyre if you went to buy it in the normal way. & it was some 2 hours before she was mobile again.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - ExA35Owner

On the other hand, tyre failures are (fortunately) pretty rare these days. So travelling without a spare or mending kit is a low-risk business.

One exception from memory - we were camping near the road from Borrowdale up to Watendlath many years ago. Plenty of big rocks at the side of a narrow and twisting road, arranged nearly perfectly to destroy sidewalls. In that week we saw at least two people who had done the two-puncture trick.

I would say that, whilst tyres are more resistant to failure, there is more debris on the roads these days as many local authorities and the HA don't regulalrly (if ever) sweep roads, and lots of sharp objects accumulate just waiting for some unsuspecting driver to move just slightly outside the well-worn 'tramlines' on the road.

Especially bad in built-up (and often less affluent) areas due to councils spending pressures/priorities and people dumping rubbish on the streets or on rural roads where they are just forgotten about.

I and many other drivers had to swerve to avoid several roughly-cut bits of wood strewn all over the nearside lane of the A1 the other day, presumably caused by some idiot flatbed driver who hadn't secured their load or overloaded the vehicle. I was (pleasantly) surprised when I heard there had been no accidents that evening on the stretch of road in question.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - Avant

I agree Andy - and potholes also are on the increase, and these can easily cause a bigger gash in a tyre than a can of gunk can repair, and also buckle a wheel.

As I've said before, if this happens you have to call someone out.... and there are still apparently 30,000 miles of roads in the UK where there is no mobile reception. So what do you do then, you stupid little man in a suit who decided not to allow room in your new design even for a space-saver?

I don't think it's too restrictive, at least at present: the majority of cars have room for a space-saver, even if it's an extra. I drove 100 miles with a space-saver fitted, with no problems. I think you were unlucky, Raineman - you're safe with a spacesaver at the maximum speed that lorries are allowed to go.

Edited by Avant on 18/11/2016 at 19:13

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - Smileyman

Totally agree!

Last Tuesday, 9pm, cold & very wet weather, unfortunately Mrs S side swiped a kerb and the front nearside tyre split. Her car (2004 Mazda 2) has a full size spare, (it's an part worn tyre rotated some time ago), within 15 minutes back on the road then off home. The replacement tyre was purchased online and will be fitted tomorrow.

Any can of goo supplied would have been useless, spacesaver would have got the car mobile but is really a last resort option - exactly for times like this.

If the car had not had a spare wheel Mrs S would have been stranded overnight, as well as being forced to purchase a new tyre at a distressing retail price and having to make do with whatever brand the outlet had in stock at the time.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

My 2016 Octavia came with gloop and a pump. I have therefore purchased a new spare 205/55/16 on a steel rim ,with tools, for £150 new. The tyre is the same size as those fitted to my alloy road wheels. But the spare is marked with the dreaded 50 mph maximum. I'll worry about that when I need to.

A recent blowout on another car led to a completely shredded tyre before I noticed the noise and stopped on the hard shoulder.

Edited by Glaikit Wee Scunner {P} on 19/11/2016 at 16:28

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - corax

My 2016 Octavia came with gloop and a pump. I have therefore purchased a new spare 205/55/16 on a steel rim ,with tools, for £150 new. The tyre is the same size as those fitted to my alloy road wheels. But the spare is marked with the dreaded 50 mph maximum. I'll worry about that when I need to.

You're saying that your full size spare tyre has a 50 mph maximum? I don't understand, unless this is a budget thing that dealers give you that I didn't know about - God help us.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - bathtub tom

My 2016 Octavia came with gloop and a pump. I have therefore purchased a new spare 205/55/16 on a steel rim ,with tools, for £150 new. The tyre is the same size as those fitted to my alloy road wheels.

Couldn't you have sourced the correct size wheel from a scrap yard and fitted a tyre for a similar cost, thereby avoiding the 50 MPH limit?

I presume there's sufficient space for a full size wheel and tyre in the spare wheel well.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - FoxyJukebox

I would never have a car without a spare tyre. Yes--i could tolerate a spacesaver--but would make it my business to only use it to "get home".

I would not even bother trying the can of foam rubbish--but hey--here's a question--maybe lashings of other readers of this site have had amazing success with the cans --in which case --perhaps manufacturers would like to publish the success stories.

SONG-Why are we waiting ( sung to the tune of "oh come all ye faithfull")

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - expat

My son's girl friend has a 6 month old Mazda 3 saloon. No spare. She had a puncture and had to have the car taken to a tyre place on a tilt tray truck. Tyre place didn't have the right size in stock so she had to wait 3 days before she got the car back. Moral of the story - don't buy Mazdas. Pity because they are a good car in other respects.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - kiss (keep it simple)

I have just purchased a 2012 Mazda6, no spare. I managed to source a second hand full size alloy with a very good tyre on it for £80 delivered. Space savers seem to be readily available too.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - concrete

My Skoda Superb has 17" alloys as standard on the Elegance model with 225/45/17 tyres. The spare is a 'full size' in that it is a 16" steel rim with a 205/65/16 tyre. The reason being that most Superbs were then sold on 16" rims I suspect, and the wheel well may not hold anything larger. The wheel, used only once, is excellent and being roughly the same diameter means the car can be driven normally until a repair/replacement is made. I agree with other though that I would make my feeling known to the dealer about the inadequacy of not offering a proper full size spare.

Cheers Concrete

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - industryman

My Skoda Superb has 17" alloys as standard on the Elegance model with 225/45/17 tyres. The spare is a 'full size' in that it is a 16" steel rim with a 205/65/16 tyre. The reason being that most Superbs were then sold on 16" rims I suspect, and the wheel well may not hold anything larger. The wheel, used only once, is excellent and being roughly the same diameter means the car can be driven normally until a repair/replacement is made. I agree with other though that I would make my feeling known to the dealer about the inadequacy of not offering a proper full size spare.

Cheers Concrete

If a 205/65R16 tyre/wheel combination is used as a spare for a vehicle fitted with 225/45R17, the wheel should be visibly different to the normal wheels (steel instead of alloy or a different colour etc.), and it must be marked "temporary use only - speed limit 50mph". In any other circumstance it is illegal to fit different sized tyres to opposite ends of an axle. Tyres are different sizes if any of the size markings are not the same - section width (eg. 205), aspect ratio (eg. 65), and rim diameter (eg. 16), even if their overall diameters are the same.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - skidpan

Tyre place didn't have the right size in stock so she had to wait 3 days before she got the car back. Moral of the story - don't buy Mazdas. Pity because they are a good car in other respects.

Hardly Mazda's fault she was taken to a tyre shop with no tyres was it. Would they have have had a tyre for another brand, the Mazda 3 does not use out of the ordinary tyres. And in my experience any decent tyre shop has access to next day delivery of any tyre they need.

Mazda do offer space saver spare wheel kits as dealer fit options. Or do what I have done twice now, go onto MyTyres site and buy a full size steel wheel and tyre, cost about £70 each time I have done it, only need the cheapest non directional tyre as a spare. Get a brace and suitable jack and you are never relying on breakdown cover or a can of gloop.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - skidpan

The Skoda Superb we have just bought comes with a can of glue and compressor as standard but in the October 2016 brochure there is the option of "steel space saver" (read thin emergency spare) for £100 or "steel temporary spare" (normal looking tyre and rim) £100 (both include tool kits). Both have the 50 mph sticker on since even though the "temporary" one is a propper tyre its a 215/60 16 instead of the 215/55 17 on the 17" alloys.

BUT

Mr Skoda appears to have complicated things for the cars currently in production (the October brochure is out of date).

For the hatch the "steel temporary spare" has dissapeared off the options list (still on for the estate). We looked at a new hatch in the showroom (the MD's new car) and its fitted with a thin spare but the daft thing is the polystyrene holder for the tool kit sits on top of the thin spare (instead of in it) creating no extra boot space (its needed to support the boot floor). The size of the boot makes a space saver unnessary anyway and if you have the standard gloop kit the entire wheel well is filled with a polystyrene lump.

So its on the order as a condition of sale that if the car comes with a thin wheel/tyre we don't want it and it will either be replaced by the dealer with a "propper" spare or the £100 refunded. If its the latter I will simply visit MyTyres again, cheapest non-directional is currently a Nankang (plenty good enough since hopefully it will never see the light of day) for £85 inc postage.

Why are things so complicated.

My son's girl friend has a 6 month old Mazda 3 saloon. No spare. She had a puncture and had to have the car taken to a tyre place on a tilt tray truck. Tyre place didn't have the right size in stock so she had to wait 3 days before she got the car back. Moral of the story - don't buy Mazdas. Pity because they are a good car in other respects.

They're no different to many other manufacturers in not fitting spares (of any type) as standard, and when buying new you either have to 'endure' the £350 - £400 'cost' of having one fitted by Mazda at the factory, or, as has been said, source a spare tyre/wheel combo independently at a cheaper price.

That all being said, there is a major difference in the latest Mazda3s, perhaps barring the Sport models, (which, if I recall, run on 215/45 R18 tyres and are 'reasonably' available) they all now run on the unusual 205/60 R16 tyres, and not the 205/55 R16 ones mine and the mk2s mainly ran on, which are widely available.

Not many 205/60 R16 tyres available at present (a look on Tyre Test for reviews [all tyres, including winter/all seasons] shows over 1000 for the 55 profile tyres, but only 114 of the 60 profile variant. Many other car manufacturers still spec the 205/60 R16 tyres, so I suspect this lack of availablility is why your son's gf experienced the problem at the fitter - not enough cars on the road to hold this unusual tyre in stock, yet.

Maybe more car manufacturers will change over to this tyre variant in due course as models are refrshed/replaced. I think that Mazda did make a mistake on this front by not seeing whether this was an unusual tyre, similarly there should be a 17in tyre option (allowable and for insurance purposes) for both the Sport model (so you don't have to endure the harder ride and higher expense of replacement tyres) and lower ones.

N/A - Spacesaver Or No Spare - RaineMan

Just a quick update. Although the other front tyre still had over 4mm of tread I brought a new front pair from TyresOnTheDrive who came in at a good price and fitted them the next day. The tyre fitter also could spot no obvious reason for the sudden deflation (sidewall was bad as had been driven on to safe position) - this reinforced my decision to fit a pair as the tyre on the opposite side was the same make as the one that blew. The manufacturer was Nexen who I have never heard of.

Nexen is South Korean.