Off airport parking and access. - Luton Parking at Airport - oldroverboy.

Travelling to Lisbon.

Had to use Luton for travel times good for me..

I made a mistake on my booking for 7 days parking and was surprised to be only charged £2 to add a day.. Total cost £24.89 for 8 days using a voucher code found by searching.

Now to worry about getting into the airport at 4.30...

Got a surprise as flying lisbon to porto cheaper than the train 9.99 euros instead of 24.20 by train, and closer to our hotel near porto airport..

Returning to luton after a week.

Did not want to hire a car any more in portugal after our last adventure, when the car hire firm wanted to charge a fortune for a rear wiper missing, ( i went to the fiat dealers near the airport and got one for 14 euros.) and the dealer fitted it for free, told us i was one of many who called in...

Edited by oldroverboy. on 17/11/2016 at 09:46

Off airport parking and access. - Luton Parking at Airport - jc2

Ah! the delights of Luton airport-exit thro' the gift shop etc.Recently voted worst airport in UK and I agree.

Off airport parking and access. - Luton Parking at Airport - Steveieb
Luton airport access problems has been going on so long we now make a longer journey to travel from East Midlands or failing that Birmingham.
Parking is a dream at East Midlands coupled with the fact that Jet 2 fly from there makes it our first choice.
Often wonder if I have missed the plane when I arrive at Jet 2 check in only to find they have loads of check in desks unlike the others. Flying from Stanstead this summer as well
, but they are a Yorkshire based airline
Off airport parking and access. - Luton Parking at Airport - FP

Luton Airport is a pain in the what's-its-name, has been for a while, and, despite the ongoing modifications, is likely to be for the foreseeable future.

However, it's local to us and it makes sense to use it.

Some tips to make the best of it: leave plenty of time to get there, because the biggest problem with Luton Airport is access, no matter what mode of transport you're using and no matter where you park if you use your own car. Even if you park off-site, the transfer bus has to follow the same route as everyone else, as do taxis and the shuttle bus from the rail station.

If we're flying at a civilised time arriving by rail at Luton Airport Parkway is our best option. We can use our Senior Railcards and the shuttle accepts senior bus passes.

Our next best option is to park our own car on the street outside my step-daughter's house in Luton and get a taxi. Beware of the higher charges that taxis in the taxi-rank will sting you with when you return; it's better to call a local taxi firm and ask them to meet you at the drop-off point (more of which anon). Don't phone them until you've got your baggage; you will then have just the right amount of time to walk to the drop-off point before your taxi arrives.

If you're meeting someone at the airport, lurk on a side-street somewhere not too far away and have them phone you when they've got their baggage. Again, you will get to the drop-off point at much the same time as they do.

Using the drop-off point needs careful management. You will pay £3 for 10 minutes' stay maximum and will be charged for exceeding this; you pay at a machine as you exit and taxis meeting you will add £3 to the fare (but it's still cheaper than the taxi-rank). Do not leave your car unattended; tow-trucks patrol and I have seen cars uplifted.

I understand it's possible to drop off or pick up for free from the mid-term and long-term on-site car parks, though passengers will have to use the (free) shuttle buses. There is a limit on how long you can wait, so if you're meeting someone you would probably be best to lurk off-site until you get a call to say they're on the bus or have arrived.

Another option, especially if you have an early flight, is to take advantage of a hotel-plus-parking package at one of the hotels close to the airport.

Edited by FP on 17/11/2016 at 13:38

Off airport parking and access. - Luton Parking at Airport - jc2

From where you come from I'd use the A414 and then the B653 which brings you right to the airport rather than the new M1 connection.