Ford/KA - Salvaging a Category C, anything I need to do - David Boyce

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some advice. My wife's Ford KA got hit from behind (quite gently) at a junction a few weeks back. The visual damage was a cracked number plate, and a small crack in the bumper, and we didn't think too much of it, but reported it to our insurance company.

The insurance company took it away to a garage and came back saying it was a category C write off because it was going to cost the best part of £2K to repair (I assume the cost of new parts to new standard). I asked if I could get our local mechanic (who has always been very reliable) to have a look at it, and he said it was completely safe to drive, basically just needed a new number plate and he suggested to salvage it, which we've done.

What I'd like to check is if we need to do anything more. Neither the insurance company or the claims handler have given me an answer. I guess I want to ensure 3 things:

A) The insurance policy is still valid
B) We don't need any further checks made to the car
C) If we need to let DVLA know

The insurance policy I think is ok because although they haven't replied to my email, I can still see the policy in the online account.
The VIC scheme seems to have been abolished, so I'm not sure if we need any further check on the car.
I'm not sure if we need to send the log book to the DVLA to have it updated, or if the insurance company does this on our behalf?

I hope someone can help, the last thing we need is to be driving the car in good faith, and get pulled over by the police...

thanks in advance,

David

Ford/KA - Salvaging a Category C, anything I need to do - SteVee

If the insurance co. has paid out then your policy has very probably ended; after all, why would they be insuring a car they've written off ?

I suggest you 'phone them and get a definitive answer directly from them.

Ford/KA - Salvaging a Category C, anything I need to do - Galaxy

When I put a Cat D car back on the road the insurance company wanted it to have a new MOT test before they would insure it again. But that wasn't a problem.

I can only assume that, if it applies to a Cat D then it would also apply to a Cat C.

But there's only one way to find out for sure - Ask them!

Thanks for the replies - I'll get the wife to call the claims line again tomorrow, as two emails over the past couple of weeks to the customer services team have gone unanswered. I've also emailed the claims handler too tonight. I guess they could have got blocked by spam filter but seems unlikely as the claims emails have come through ok.

If they had cancelled the policy you'd have hope they would have to put it in writing through the post, and refunded some of the policy, but haven't heared a peep.

Thanks again,

David

Ford/KA - Salvaging a Category C, anything I need to do - bathtub tom

If your insurance company have paid you the write off value of the car, then that's the end of the policy - you're no longer insured!

Ford/KA - Salvaging a Category C, anything I need to do - RobJP

If they had cancelled the policy you'd have hope they would have to put it in writing through the post, and refunded some of the policy, but haven't heared a peep.

Absolutely no reason as to why they'd be refunding some of the policy. It has paid out - as it was intended to do, so has been used.

If you took out a 5 year warranty (which is effectively the same as an insurance policy) on a TV, and 3 years down the line got a payout for a failure, would you expect a refund for the un-used 2 years ?

Ford/KA - Salvaging a Category C, anything I need to do - TedCrilly

Car insurance does not work on a pay as you go basis.

You buy a policy that applies over an agreed time period. Say £500 for 12 months. If you choose to pay monthly and if after 6 months the car is written off you will still owe £250. The insurance co wil take the £250 remainder from the settlement figure. And once the car is written off that's it, the policy is over.

Its will all be there in the Ts&Cs.

I cant understand why, if the car has been written off, is still in your possession and you are still driving it.

You need to make direct contact with the insurance company concerned and ask the questions.

OK so my wife has spoken to the insurance company this morning, and they've said the policy hasn't been cancelled, she's still insured, and as long as the car is roadworthy they don't require further checks. I'm not entirely satisfied based on the replies above, and it's all word of mouth. So I'll keep pushing until I have something in writing. I'll check the T&C tonight.

Thanks again - David

Ford/KA - Salvaging a Category C, anything I need to do - SteVee

Did the company give you the write-off value of the car ?
Or did they just let you fix it yourself ?

It sounds to me that they didn't write the car off, and it's therefore not a Cat C.