The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - Simmo1111

I'm looking to change my 2005 Honda Accord 2.2CDTI for an SUV and have around 8K to spend, I've had some helpful advice here with regard to viable alternatives of the non-diesel kind which has been gratefully received. My fear is that if I do buy a diesel (which to be honest I would prefer) I run the risk of the DPF issues that seem to be prevalent among the cars travelling shorter distances. I mostly do short trips of say, 15 miles or so but also the odd longer trip of 75 miles maybe once per month( inc 30 miles of motorway). My fear is that if I do buy a diesel I'm almost certainly going to encounter the dreaded DPF issue due to my short trips. Would this be a fair assumption or is it just that I'm just hearing the bad side of this subject? I'm happy to take the car out for a 'blast' along the motorway to keep the DPF in 'good fettle' but would I have to do this once a week/month/year or what? My annual mileage is probably somewhere in the region of 12K and a majority of this is done on 30mph roads.

I think that my lack of understanding (or is it?) could well be preventing me from considering a diesel but it may well be that my understanding is correct and I need to steer clear of one.

Thanks very much.

Dave

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - RobJP

In your case :

12k miles per annum.

Mostly 30mph roads.

Mostly short trips of 15 miles or so - my modern diesel car takes 10 miles to warm up, never mind run a regen.

Buying used (£8k)

I'd say you're correct, and to avoid diesel. The potential extra costs for DPF problems will outweigh any fuel savings.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - daveyjp

The issue is that for £8,000 you will be buying second hand. You therefore have no idea what condition the DPF is in. They are a part which doesn't last forever so at some point regen will begin to fail and you will need the cash to replace it (£500-1000+)

A friend has just had this with his 140,000 mile car bought second hand - the car had a forced regen a couple of weeks ago, but the filter light is on again and it is blocked so its in this week for a new DPF - £500 plus fitting.

It is possible to clean them, but again no guarantee of the lifespan after the work.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - Gibbo_Wirral

Another vote for petrol here, unless you can absolutely guarantee that the previous owner has not used the car for local pootling.

And the EGR valve will also suffer and a replacement will need to be factored in.

I've known a DPF last upto 120,000 miles on a motorway / dual carriageway car, and then last only 54,000 miles on the very same car used as a local shopping cart.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - daveyjp

The 140,000 miler was previously a motorway car - its not quite four years old.

New owner uses the car for more urban trips and the DPF has been found out after a few months.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - madf

Do not buy a 2.2Diesel Toyota/Lexus from 2006-9

Do not buy any diesel Subaru made before 2011 mid year.

Both have fundamental design faults ££££s.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - SLO76
I'd avoid a DPF equipped diesel with your usage also I'm afraid, which does kinda limit your choice if you absolutely must have an SUV.

The three golden words I use when people ask me for advice regarding the purchase of a used car... keep it simple. Avoid complex gadget laden cars unless you've the budget to buy new and maintain it correctly. Even then you'd still run into DPF issues.

Do you really need an SUV? Go take a look at 9th gen Honda Civic 1.8 petrol. They're well made, quick, long lived, much nicer to drive than the equiv CRV, capable of well over 40mpg without much effort and have loads of interior and boot space. You'll get a 2012 car within your budget with reasonable miles instead of looking at older SUV's with far higher mileages and plenty more to go wrong.

There's no turbocharger to fail, no DPF and it's a chain driven engine so there's no expensive timing belt change every 5-6 years. Mechanically they're next to bombproof and are usually well maintained by owners who value their reliability.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - Steveieb

We can get some scale of the problem from the van market where owners have no alternative but to do short stop start runs.

I have heard that some Ford dealers are refusing warrenty claims on the DPFs.And owners are ;ooking at a bill of £750.

The outcome has been for some small non lease companies to buy older vans etc with no DPF and spend the balance on getting them in good condition.

Dear Madf . Can you tell us more about the Toyota/ Lexus problems you mentioned. I fancied a Rav4 but now that Toyota have ceased making diesel engines, preferring to buy fromBMW and concentrate on hybrids.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - Auristocrat

Can you tell us more about the Toyota/ Lexus problems you mentioned. I fancied a Rav4 but now that Toyota have ceased making diesel engines, preferring to buy fromBMW and concentrate on hybrids.

First of all Toyota haven't stopped making diesel engines.

For some European built models, where Toyota had a gap in not having a 1.6 diesel, they are using BMW sourced 1.6 and 2.0 litre diesels - namely the Verso (1.6), Auris (1.6) and Avensis (1.6 and 2.0).

Toyota's 1.4 diesel is still used in the current Yaris and Auris.

The current Rav4, which is built in Japan, is available in 2.0 litre petrol, 2.0 litre diesel and 2.5 litre hybrid versions.

Toyota have just introduced a new 2.4 litre diesel in the Hilux.

Toyota Rav4's with the 2AD series engine (2.2 litre) built between July 2005 and December 2008, could suffer from oil consumption issues/head gasket failure. Toyota covered the issue by a goodwill arrangement where the 3/4 engine was replaced - coverage was either 7 years or 111,846 miles from first registration. This arrangement has now expired for most affected vehicles. No-one outside of Toyota knows the percentage of vehicles affected.

Having said that, buying a Rav4 within the affected vehicle range is a gamble, unless the engine has been replaced by Toyota under the above arrangement, or the vehicle is covered by an extended warranty (eg. Toyota's own extended warranty).

More information can be obtained from the relevant owners club.

mentioned. I fancied a Rav4 but now that Toyota have ceased making diesel engines, preferring to buy fromBMW and concentrate on hybrids.

Read this:

tinyurl.com/nl2go48

(just teh first post will do. Toyota's answer of a 7 year warranty is no longer available due to age.

For those without time:

This guide is wriiten to hopefully answer most of the often asked questions about the 2AD 2.2 Diesel engine and its problems.

The Symptoms

Owners complain of the following;

Excessive oil consumption.

Coolant Water being blown out of the expansion tank and the colour sometimes turning darker in colour.

Excessive Fuel consumption.

Blocked or heavily sooted EGR valves

And of course cars going into limp mode or displaying fault codes relating to this engines issues.

Toyotas Answer.

Well Toyota really stepped up to the plate and offered an extended warranty which can be found in the following text taken from the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)

"AD Engine Out of Warranty Guidelines (0730J)

We are pleased to advise that we have received more formalised guidelines from TME for the handling of AD engine problems on out of warranty vehicles. The coverage and processes are summarised below.

Conditions Covered

1) Oil consumption worse than 0.5 litre per 621 miles (1,000 km)

2) Overheating & Head Gasket failure due to carbon deposits on the pistons

For all other out of warranty conditions related to AD engine problems, where the customer complaint can be directly linked to a “carbon clogging” concern, i.e. EGR Valve, DPNR, 5th Injector, EGR Cooler, blocked manifold, etc., we would accept this as being linked to an oil consumption condition.

Vehicles Covered

Those vehicles fitted with AD diesel engines;

???Avensis with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Feb 2009)

???RAV4 with 2AD (Prod. Date: Jul 2005 to Dec 2008)

???Auris with 1AD or 2AD (Prod. Date: Sep 2006 to Sep 2009)

???Verso with 2AD (Prod. Date: Apr 2005 to Nov 2008)

Age / Mileage Covered

These guidelines cover vehicles up to 7 years old and 111,846 miles (180,000 km), whichever the sooner. This is conditional on there being a retail customer complaint and the vehicle having been reasonably maintained".

So what do I do if my car is displaying the above faults?

You should take Your car for inspection to your nearest Toyota Dealers. They will check your oil level and carry out all or any checks required by Toyota and read any stored fault codes. You will then be asked to take the car back to the dealer after approximately 1000 miles and the oil will be checked again to determine if its oil consumption is to great as in the TSB above.

So what happens next?

If it is deemed You engine is burning too much oil, is sooting the EGR valve or displaying any of the above related faults your engine will be replaced under the extended warranty.

What will be replaced?

The engine assembly in Toyota terms is a ¾ engine which is basically the whole engine from the sump up to the rocker cover. Up until mid 2011 engines were rebuilt by the Dealer but after this proved too time consuming and sometimes unsuccessful, engines were replaced as a ¾ assembly for economic reasons. Sometimes these replacement engines are reworked or remanufactured engines rebuilt in Japan. Sometimes the engines are brand new.

The following will or may be replaced during the procedure.

EGR valve.

Injectors including the 5th injector.

Catalytic convertor.

DFP filter (Diesel Particulate Filter).

The engine oil of course and the coolant .

Hi SLO76 and thanks very much for your reply.

I spend quite a bit of time monitoring moorland wildlife and often have to park on very uneven verges. My requirements really, are good ground clearance (as I have scuffed the bottom of my Accord quite a few times) and a high driving position so that in bad weather I am able to sit in the car and still carry out my monitoring role. In short, my Accord is too low to the ground and the driving position is too low to allow me to see over the dry stone walls in the areas I visit. I don't do any off roading as such but will, at times travel along rough tracks.

Thanks once again for your help.

Dave.
Best option I can think of then would be a CRV 2.2 CDTi circa 07-08 which doesn't have a DPF. The later DTEC version of the same engine does so don't get them mixed up as this engine was never developed with this technology in mind and it will cause trouble. Swap over was late 09 if I remember right but check before buying anything, you don't want anything with one fitted.

The later 1.6 DTEC should be better (I hope so, I own one) but it's still too early to tell. Ours certainly hasn't caused any bother but it does get a run at speed every time it's used. Especially if management is using it... lead boot.

They're well made, spacious and comfortable but the 3rd generation 2.2 4wd is a heavy car so don't expect to better 40mpg, more like 35-38 day to day. They are prone to turbo failure and timing chain issues if neglected or poorly serviced so only buy one with a full Honda dealer service history with proof of annual servicing not once every two years as some people think is ok. It isn't.

Our later 4th gen 1.6 2wd averages an easy 56mpg but you'd need to dig deeper to get one. It's worth paying extra for a good one, it'll save on repairs and generate a better price when you come to sell so don't go looking for a bargain.

The 2.0 petrol is vice free and will run forever if looked after and you'll get a newer car with less miles for your money but they lack torque and will struggle to break 30mpg.
Thanks again for your time SLO76.

Just to clarify please .. I've been on Autotrader to look at the CRV's ( I used to have a 2.0 petrol on an 02 plate but it was a thirsty lump) There are 2010 2.2CDTi's on there so am I right in assuming that these will have a dpf fitted? I'd like another CRV for sure as, apart from the fuel usage, mine was a good car. At least until the window regulator packed in :-/ There are a few 08/09 plates on sale (I'll check the 09's for a DPF) but the mileages are quite high. I was just wondering what an acceptable mileage would be on an 08/09 plate as many are a fair bit over 100k. I'm aware that a full service history is a bonus but am also aware that the rest of the car has also done the same mileage.

Thanks again.

Dave.
The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - bazza

I completely agree about avoiding used diesel. I'd be looking at buying the newest possible vehicle for my £8K. Something with raised ground clearance and 2wd will almost certainly work for you if your Accord does the job now. Particularly with a decent set of all season tyres.Very few people actually need 4wd. I'd have a look at 1.6/2.0 Nissan Quashqai and also the 1.6 petrol Suzuki SX4 S cross, £8K will get you a much newer one of those. Diesels are still strong sellers in the public's mind, so the petrol versions can be better bargains. (I'm sure this will change in the next few years though)

Toyota also do the RAV 4 in 2.0 petrol form, although as SLO says, this will also be a thirsty one, but probably outlast everything. Also on the subject of 4wd, there is quite a bit more to go wrong transmission-wise, particularly on older stuff.

If it's a CDTi and not a DTEC then there's no DPF but most if not all 2010's will be a DTEC. Post a link if you see something you like and I'll look it over.

Here's an example of what I'm suggesting. A good 08 2.2 CDTi with 60-70k and full Honda history is a better bet than a 2010 car with 100k in my opinion. Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161004842...4
Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161114973...2
Hopefully this will work. I'm using an iPad and so links don't always appear properly.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160906749...4
Hopefully this will work. I'm using an iPad and so links don't always appear properly. www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20160906749...4

This one's most likely had the tailgate painted, possibly more. Notice missing CRV badge which suggests a cheap spray job, certainly won't be up to insurance standards. A minor parking knock or vandalism repair isn't the end of the world if it's repaired to a good standard but a poor repair will deteriorate rapidly and kill the value.
Bit more cash I know but this is good value. Full dealer history and current pre facelift 2wd petrol model is just as good on fuel as the previous gen 4wd diesel but has less to go wrong. We certainly like ours and regard it as an excellent big family wagon. Of course I can't go look at it in the metal so I'm judging purely from description and pictures but if this car is right then it is barely run in and half the new list price. It'll run for 20 years if looked after.

Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161107953...6

Edited by SLO76 on 16/11/2016 at 23:05

Well, this is all great info and thanks very much. Glad I came here ??

Good to know that I can still get a decent CRV without the DPF so that's a bonus. If anyone has any more suggestions regarding a competetive alternative (good ground clearance/raised driving height) then I'll be quite happy to take a look at these too. Mate has a KIA Sportage which appears to be a decent car although it's a petrol so obviously less mpg than the Diesel CRV.

Thanks for your time chaps.

Dave
All diesel Sportage models will have a DPF unless you go back to a Mk II 2.0 diesel which is cheap but very dated. 1.6 petrol is reliable but likely lacking in overtaking urge in a moderately heavy car though I've only ever driven a 2.0 diesel which was pleasant enough so you'd need to take a petrol for a decent test drive to see.

Co worker had a 2.0 diesel for years, I'll ask him what issues if any he had with it later. I haven't heard much in the way of negativity towards them.

Kia do offer a 7 year warranty which shows confidence in the product but remember that it's worthless without a full main dealer service history, it's nearly impossible to claim on without it despite what others may tell you. You have to prove it's been serviced according to manufacturer guidelines which is near impossible to do if it's been done outside the dealer network.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/11/2016 at 09:17

Just found these 2 which are fairly close to home. More than I planned on spending but I can still afford them to be honest. No DPF too I assume? ??

Quick question about the CRV's. Are the window regulators still an issue or did Honda sort that one out?

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161105947...1

Or

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161007854...1

Higher mileage on one but a full dealership service history. Not sure about t'other but I can obviously phone to find out tho.

Any thoughts would be welcome.
Both look like good options, the Mot history check backs up both mileages too but asuming they're both spot on I'd go for the cheaper car with full dealer history, the mileage is still so low it's barely run in. Worth calling the dealer who serviced it to check they've actually seen it. Had a good friend who viewed an E46 M3 BMW recently that sounded too good to be true. Quick call to the dealer who'd apparently serviced it and they'd never had the car in... service history had been faked by an unscrupulous trader. Easy enough to get a stamp made up. Not the kind of motor that would normally attract these sort of antics but a car with a full dealer history is worth a lot more than one without. Look for poorly repaired accident damage. We viewed several before buying a new one and almost all of them had seen poorly applied paint for some reason, none of it as a result of major impact but poor paint will deteriorate quickly so any repairs must be up to insurance standards, walk if you see overspray, obvious spray lines or large panel gaps. Check rubbers and in door checks for spray lines. The dearer car is getting close pricewise to the next gen petrol 13 plate with 10,000 miles I posted earlier at just under £12k. The newer gen Is much more efficient and the 2.0 petrol 2wd will do high 30's to the gallon which realistically is about all you'll get from either of these but with such a low mileage and a lot less to go wrong it's a far safer bet.

Edited by SLO76 on 19/11/2016 at 01:35

Thanks again SLO76 for your ongoing help. Very much appreciated. Do you have any thoughts about 4WD as opposed to 2WD? I live on high ground and if we do get snow it tends to be a good couple of inches thicker up here than on the lower ground. That said, I believe that the general opinion is that a 2WD with a decent set of winter tyres is nearly as good as having a 4WD without. If I had a petrol CRV with 2WD and a set of winter tyres, would the fact that it's a heavier car make it better than my current Honda Accord with winter tyres? (which I have fitted.) My thoughts were that if I'm going to get a CRV, I might as well get one which will see me right when I have to deal with the bad weather/muddy verges sort of thing. But I also appreciate your point of view that a petrol one will be better than a diesel one when it comes to reliability. (Any info regarding the window regulator issues?)

I hate buying cars :-)

Thanks again.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - RT

2wd on the right tyres is BETTER than 4wd on the wrong tyres.

Thanks again SLO76 for your ongoing help. Very much appreciated. Do you have any thoughts about 4WD as opposed to 2WD? I live on high ground and if we do get snow it tends to be a good couple of inches thicker up here than on the lower ground. That said, I believe that the general opinion is that a 2WD with a decent set of winter tyres is nearly as good as having a 4WD without. If I had a petrol CRV with 2WD and a set of winter tyres, would the fact that it's a heavier car make it better than my current Honda Accord with winter tyres? (which I have fitted.) My thoughts were that if I'm going to get a CRV, I might as well get one which will see me right when I have to deal with the bad weather/muddy verges sort of thing. But I also appreciate your point of view that a petrol one will be better than a diesel one when it comes to reliability. (Any info regarding the window regulator issues?) I hate buying cars :-) Thanks again.

A fwd car on four winter tyres is a better bet in winter than a 4wd on normal tyres but there's no denying the 4wd equipped with the right rubber would be best but if you've managed with an Accord all these years then a 2wd CRV should do fine. Just remember that you need four winter tyres and not just two on the drive wheels as all too many people think. Another plus with a petrol engine is that it heats up quicker than the more thermally efficient diesel but it's the reliability that would draw me to the newer low mileage petrol car. As for the window regulator issue. I've never encountered it or know anyone with a CRV that has had bother with them but quick look online and I see reports about it on 2nd gen cars so I'm asuming it's no longer an issue on the newer models you're looking at. One thing you will need to check however is the clutch. It's not unheard of to encounter a juddering clutch from cold, I had a new one fitted free of change on ours at two years old and 24,000 miles. The dealer tried to convince me that it was a characteristic of the car and latterly that it was down to my driving so I bypassed them and went straight to Honda who were spot on. It is a known Honda weakness. When going for a test drive tell them you want to drive it from stone cold. First thing you do when turning up is open the bonnet and put your hand on the engine, if it's warm then they've started it possibly to hide a noisy timing chain, starting problem or a juddering clutch from cold. Our car drove fine when hot but was near undrivable when cold thanks to a faulty clutch but Honda customer services were well up to standard even if the dealer wasn't. Don't let it put you off, it really is the only major issue to watch for on the later cars and as long as you get a good one it'll last if driven correctly.
The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - RobJP
Auto Trader #DrivenByMe www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161114973...2

Just a quick point. Not sure if you're aware, but doing a search like that gives the postcode you put in as a search basis (close to the A61 in Sheffield, in this case).

If doing that, I always use an industrial estate a few miles from home as my 'base' postcode.

Auto Trader #DrivenByMe www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161114973...2

Just a quick point. Not sure if you're aware, but doing a search like that gives the postcode you put in as a search basis (close to the A61 in Sheffield, in this case).

If doing that, I always use an industrial estate a few miles from home as my 'base' postcode.

I used the postcode of the dealer in the advert posted by the OP. I'm up in sunny Scotland miles away...

Or there's this which seems a decent buy ? Does anyone have any experience with Suzuki models? I still have my height/ground clearance and it seems on a par from a mpg point of view with the others I've looked at.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161012868...p

Or there's this which seems a decent buy ? Does anyone have any experience with Suzuki models? I still have my height/ground clearance and it seems on a par from a mpg point of view with the others I've looked at.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161012868...p

Thirsty, slow and horrible to drive. A 2.0 CRV is better on fuel. They're good off-road and reliable (as long as you avoid the Fiat diesels) but dated and you'll hate driving it compared to your Accord or pretty much anything else you could buy. I wouldn't. But try one before ruling it out, I'm just not a fan. Though I should be, I did once make a lot of money from Vitaras in the 90's. People would trade up from a run of the mill hatchback to one based on the looks then desperately want out of it a few months later because it was greedy and horrid to drive so we happily flogged them something else. Thus the reason why they often have had a lot of owners.
Better bet.. assuming that full service history was done at a Kia dealer. Auto Trader #DrivenByMe
www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20161009858...4
The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - skidpan

Kia do offer a 7 year warranty which shows confidence in the product but remember that it's worthless without a full main dealer service history, it's nearly impossible to claim on without it despite what others may tell you. You have to prove it's been serviced according to manufacturer guidelines which is near impossible to do if it's been done outside the dealer network.

Three things:

Kia's 7 year warranty does not cover the DPF if it blocks up due to missed regens, inapropriate use etc. The DPF is covered for 7 years against manufacturing defects like all exhaust components.

Kia's warranty T & C's clearly states that you are allowed to service out of the dealer network but they state that proof must be provided in the form of an invoice that shows OEM parts and been used and the service schedule was followed to the letter.

I bet a days beer money (not much since I don't drink) that all the cars that Kia refuse warranty cover on fail to meet the T & C's. If the owners were so sure they had met them and had proof they should take it further, I know I would. But I can garantee you that like all manufacturers Kia will give no goodwill for cars out of warranty if they have been serviced out of the network.

Three things:

Kia's 7 year warranty does not cover the DPF if it blocks up due to missed regens, inapropriate use etc. The DPF is covered for 7 years against manufacturing defects like all exhaust components.

Kia's warranty T & C's clearly states that you are allowed to service out of the dealer network but they state that proof must be provided in the form of an invoice that shows OEM parts and been used and the service schedule was followed to the letter.

I bet a days beer money (not much since I don't drink) that all the cars that Kia refuse warranty cover on fail to meet the T & C's. If the owners were so sure they had met them and had proof they should take it further, I know I would. But I can garantee you that like all manufacturers Kia will give no goodwill for cars out of warranty if they have been serviced out of the network.

I'm friendly with the sales staff at our local Kia dealer (traded a few cars from them) and this subject has cropped up a few times in the past. Kia will not honor any warranty claim where the car has been serviced outside the dealer network unless the owner can show receipts for all manufacturer parts used and proof the servicing garage followed Kia's service programme exact to the word including any manufacturer software updates and recalls. For the sake of maybe £50 or so a year it's a small price to pay to keep the warranty. Old customer of mine also had a Kia Cee'd diesel serviced at the small workshop I use and argued this point with me but talking to him a good while after he had tried to claim for a failed steering rack but had his claim rejected despite a full service record and use of manufacturer parts. He couldn't prove it had been done in accordance to Kia's recommendations. Regard any used Kia as having no manufacturer warranty without that stamped up Kia history.

Edited by SLO76 on 17/11/2016 at 18:03

What I said:

"Kia's warranty T & C's clearly states that you are allowed to service out of the dealer network but they state that proof must be provided in the form of an invoice that shows OEM parts and been used and the service schedule was followed to the letter."

What you said:

"Kia will not honor any warranty claim where the car has been serviced outside the dealer network unless the owner can show receipts for all manufacturer parts used and proof the servicing garage followed Kia's service programme exact to the word including any manufacturer software updates and recalls."

Thanks for repeating what I said.

Your comment regarding sofware updates and recalls is correct. We had a "campaign update" on our Ceed CRDi which was to protect the DPF. Basically it did regens more frequently after (250 miles instead of 300 miles) but the engine was also much more flexible and smoother running at lower revs after the update. But on the Kia site people were refusing to have the update carried out by their dealer claiming their car was OK so why risk spoiling it.

Buyer beware as always.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - bazza

That's very interesting and useful information thanks both.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - Steveieb
Returning to the original question, we all know that Mazda have had more problems with DPF s than most but which manufacturer have succeeded in engineering an effective solution to these EC environment guidelines?
The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - gordonbennet

They could take a leaf out of lorry maker's designs on this.

I've only taken the latest euro 6 DPF equipped lorries on our fleet out a few times, be late next year before my current euro 6 gets replaced.

However, the info all on the dash, you can display state of DPF and trigger a regen when suitable...there its so simple it's almost breathtaking, OK so such info might mean absolutely nothing to many white goods type car buyers and some might do more harm than good with it, so hows about such info being available on the menu but only after a password (like a radio code, in the handbook) is deliberately triggered, otherwise no info and no triggering.

Would make Diesel car purchase viable again for the type of motorist found on this site, where many are now backing sharply away.

Returning to the original question, we all know that Mazda have had more problems with DPF s than most but which manufacturer have succeeded in engineering an effective solution to these EC environment guidelines?

It's nigh on impossible with legislation changing constantly. How do you engineer a lasting solution when the goalposts are likely to be moved further down the road? They pushed us into diesels now want them off the roads. How long before the environmentaly damaging production and disposal of batteries sees them legislating against hybrid and pure electric cars? The haulage industry can think further down the line as there's really no substitute for diesel when it comes to heavy goods so they can focus, but car manufacturers are playing a guessing game. Invest in petrol, hybrid, electric only, diesel or hydrogen, who knows? Do you pour it in when it could rapidly become the latest Betamax. I wonder if a part of it is about making it too expensive for firms based in low wage economies, particularly the Chinese to enter the EU market and make any real inroads. Look at the struggle SAIC have had with MG.

However, the info all on the dash, you can display state of DPF and trigger a regen when suitable...there its so simple it's almost breathtaking, OK so such info might mean absolutely nothing to many white goods type car buyers and some might do more harm than good with it,

When we bought the Ceed back in 2010 I asked the Service Manager when we chatted waiting for a bill why a simple traffic light system could not be fitted showing DPF health along with a switch to trigger a regen at a convenient time. Lets be honest, there must be very few of us who could not manage to carry out a regen every 250 miles or so on a 20 minute run out of town (which was basically what the Kia system -but it did but not always do it at a convenient time, sometimes the regen started just as you drove onto the street).

His answer was simple and basically distilled down to "most owners are thick". They take no notice of warning lights until its too late, gauges might as well be hidden in the boot. All they want to do is put fuel in and drive. Take as an example the Kia service requirements at the time, for a diesel every 12 months or 20,000 miles (they used expensive C3 DPF friendly fully synth long life oil). Not difficult to understand (probably as simple as it gets) but every day he had the same discussion with owners who were convinced that since they only did 4000 miles a year it only required servicing every 5 years.

So while such a system would work for us and many boardroom members as said above for the vast majority it would be a wast of time.

His answer was simple and basically distilled down to "most owners are thick". They take no notice of warning lights until its too late, gauges might as well be hidden in the boot. All they want to do is put fuel in and drive. ...

So while such a system would work for us and many boardroom members as said above for the vast majority it would be a wast of time.

When I saw people like the expensively dressed driver of a 1 year old Golf diesel stopped by the road with bonnet up, I stopped to offer help. Turned out the oil warning light had come on - she had never opened teh bonnet or had it serviced in 20,000 miles.. It took 3 liters of oil.

Any suggestion of driver effected DPF is therefore impractical when you have such basic ignorance.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - gordonbennet
Any suggestion of driver effected DPF is therefore impractical when you have such basic ignorance.

I believe this is more a generational thing, that one possibly affected by the''money grows on trees'' virus, where those brought up in reality might be more inclined to take care of things.

I'm sure if the driver was paid a salary bonus (this assuming it was a company car) to check the oil weekly it would be done willingly, as it is, no one, and that sadly including those who should know better (or maybe take a bit of pride in whatever they do), can't be bothered.

To be fair though, she did stop, which is more than many would have done.

I take Skidpans point about so many car users being thick when it comes to anything mechanical, but the system wouldn't be available to such people, as it is we are, as is normal in this country, at lowest common denominator point where one size fits all.

Edited by gordonbennet on 19/11/2016 at 07:43

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - Gibbo_Wirral

His answer was simple and basically distilled down to "most owners are thick". They take no notice of warning lights until its too late, gauges might as well be hidden in the boot. All they want to do is put fuel in and drive.

You're absolutely right. I do diagnostics and ask people how long the engine light has been on - "six months" in one case.

I take Skidpans point about so many car users being thick when it comes to anything mechanical, but the system wouldn't be available to such people, as it is we are, as is normal in this country, at lowest common denominator point where one size fits all.

If such a system were an option I would probably buy another diesel today (going to sign a deal on a new motor later) since I do enough trips of over 20 miles/30 minutes to carry out a regen but experience shows that the car will normally decide to start a regen just as I am leaving a motorway or pulling onto the drive.

But who would decide if the "user" got a system enabling them to carry out regens when most convenient. Would you have to sit an exam to prove you know about DPF's?

I do diagnostics and ask people how long the engine light has been on - "six months" in one case

We had a MD who had more degrees than you could shake a stick at but when it came to cars he did not have a clue. Got a new Avensis, ran out of fuel within 3 miles of taking delivery, then at 6 months ran it out of oil at which point the engine fault light lit up never to be extinguished while he had the car (another 2.5 years). Some poor sod eventually bought that car, some low life back street dealer probably took out the bulb.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - greenhey

We spend a lot of time on the Isle of Wight.

People who know it will know there are very few straight, fast stretches of road and only about 3 miles of dual carraige way which has, if I remember, a 50 limit.

There are a lot of people on the IOW who are never on the mainland, and we know people who have never driven on a motorway.

So it seems that in this environment if you own a diesel with DPF you are unlikely to be able to give it the high rev treatment DPF owners are recommended to do regularly.

Yet dealers there still sell diesel cars to residents and I would guess a lot of them don't know of this issue.

The Dreaded Particulate Filter. - Theophilus

Caulkheads!

Gurt zote buffle-headed sort o’fellers … and they talk of “overners” and “grockles”!

So it seems that in this environment if you own a diesel with DPF you are unlikely to be able to give it the high rev treatment DPF owners are recommended to do regularly.

Yet dealers there still sell diesel cars to residents and I would guess a lot of them don't know of this issue.

DPF's do not need "high rev treatment" to regenerate. All makes have slightly different recommenation but the 2 DPF equipped diesels we have had have both been 1500 to 2000 rpm for approx 20 minutes once a regen has started. We found in one car that at 60 mph in 6th on the motorway a regen would take less time than at 70 mph and that same car would quite happilly do a regen driving home across town for Tesco, again about 20 minutes.

Owners cannot make the car do a regen, the ECU decides when and normally its at an inconvenient time/place.

All high revs do is produce more soot particles which clog the DPF up faster. Its an urban myth that revs/gas speed blow the soot out, the soot is bonded to the matix in the DPF and only a regen will shift it. There was an idiot on the Kia forum who refused to accept that his method of never using 5th and 6th gears would not prolong the life of the DPF. All he was doing was wasting fuel, producing more soot and blocking the DPF.

Our last car did a regen every 300 miles (250 after an ECU update) so you would pretty much know when it was due. The type of driving was irrelevant, it would do 2 regens on a 400 mile motorway trip if they were due by mileage.

Edited by skidpan on 23/12/2016 at 16:02