n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - craig-pd130

My wife has her own car, with our daughter being the only other named driver on the policy.

In a couple of weeks, daughter will using the car daily for 4 weeks to commute to a job (early morning to mid-evening). So we were thinking of hiring a car for my wife to drive while my daughter has the car.

Checking the car hirer's website (we'd probably use Enterprise), damage waiver is included in the rental cost, but the website states "damage waiver is not insurance."

So does my wife need to notify our current insurer (Direct Line) that she would be driving a rental car?

Sorry for the dumb question, but we've only had rental cars as courtesy vehicles before when ours have been at dealers etc, rather than renting one in addition to our existing cars.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - Falkirk Bairn

1) Better check your car insurance maybe you have SD&P but not commuting to a place of work or maybe your wife has commuting BUT it is your daughter that is commuting not your wife.

2) Car Hire Insurance has nothing to do with your current insurance company.

Longer term car hire is expensive - my son hired cars for 2 months whilst on holiday in the summer.

A local car hire company was about 40% cheaper than the likes of Avis, Hertz etc who started out about the same BUT had huge additional charges that mounted up.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - craig-pd130

Thanks FB - will look into those points.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - oldroverboy.

Check with holiday autos for a uk rental and buy your excess cover via their website. they will find you the best deal, but other car hire agents are available.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - jc2

Even when getting a courtesy car from a dealer,you should inform your insurer.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - Falkirk Bairn

>>Even when getting a courtesy car from a dealer,you should inform your >>insurer.

If you are driving a loan car on garage's insurance you do not have to tell your insurer.

If you want to cover driving a garage loan car with your own insurance you must tell your insurer.

I was hit by a woman driving a garage loan car. She had ticked a box on hire form that her insurance was covering her. She hit a car that hit me (stopped at red light). The woman's car insurer said that loab car is nothing to do with them

Main dealer said the woman said she was insured by private car insurance - nothing to do with us.

Visit to the Finance Director of a small MB chain - he verbally told me to "go away" the car insurance problem was between me & the unimsured woman.

I the said "you are telling me your company had an uninsured car on the road. I think the police will be interested - PAUSE

FD -Our car is covered for 3rd party for any driver!

Me - Who is your Insurer & Policy number?

It turns out the MB insurer was the same company as the man whose car was shunted into me. Same company but different depts who blamed each other...........it ended with court action by me - they coughed on the eve of the court date.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - Bromptonaut

If you want to cover driving a garage loan car with your own insurance you must tell your insurer.

Usually the case but some policies eg LV cover (a) insured vehicle and (b) any courtesy vehicle supplied by motor trade while vehicle (a) is undergoing repair or maintenance. Avoids need to faff about with cover notes etc.

Problem is that on two occasions garage servicing Mrs B's Berlingo has refused to recognise that as anything more than doc 3rd party cover. Took persistence on my part and phone calls to LV to get it sorted.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - concrete

The vehicle insurance policies I have, past and present cover me and named drivers for 3rd party. Policy states that we are covered so long as the car is not hired. But a service loan is just that, a loan. I suppose it may become sticky if an accident occurs and the other vehicles are covered by my 3rd party cover, then the garage would have to rely on their insurance cover for damage to the loan car. That is a situation to sort out!!

If I were Craig I would insure the 'damage waiver' of the hire car through Insure4carhire. It cost me about £15 for 6 weeks hire a couple of years ago. It cover the excess and sometimes the actual damage in the event of an accident in a hired car. Check it out.

Cheers Concrete

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - ExA35Owner

The vehicle insurance policies I have, past and present cover me and named drivers for 3rd party. Policy states that we are covered so long as the car is not hired.

Be ever so careful - policies often insist that the car has also to be insured by its owner......read the small print each time!

The vehicle insurance policies I have, past and present cover me and named drivers for 3rd party. Policy states that we are covered so long as the car is not hired.

Be ever so careful - policies often insist that the car has also to be insured by its owner......read the small print each time!

Thanks ExA35. I shall read through the policy to clarify the situation. I wonder why, if the insurance situation is so unclear, dealers offer a courtesy car without checking if the recipient is adequately covered! Surely they have a duty of care toward their customers to ensure correct and safe practice. Just a thought.

Cheers Concrete

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - RT

Thanks ExA35. I shall read through the policy to clarify the situation. I wonder why, if the insurance situation is so unclear, dealers offer a courtesy car without checking if the recipient is adequately covered! Surely they have a duty of care toward their customers to ensure correct and safe practice. Just a thought.

Cheers Concrete

All the dealer courtesy cars I've had for servicing or warranty work have either been FOC on the dealers' policy or charged £10/day to cover their insurance which was invoked for servicing but not warranty - the £10 charge could be avoided IF one's own insurance covered it AND evidence was given.

>>Even when getting a courtesy car from a dealer,you should inform your >>insurer.

If you are driving a loan car on garage's insurance you do not have to tell your insurer.

I was hit by a woman driving a garage loan car. She had ticked a box on hire form that her insurance was covering her. She hit a car that hit me (stopped at red light). The woman's car insurer said that loab car is nothing to do with them

Main dealer said the woman said she was insured by private car insurance - nothing to do with us.

Visit to the Finance Director of a small MB chain - he verbally told me to "go away" the car insurance problem was between me & the unimsured woman.

I the said "you are telling me your company had an uninsured car on the road. I think the police will be interested - PAUSE

FD -Our car is covered for 3rd party for any driver!

Me - Who is your Insurer & Policy number?

It turns out the MB insurer was the same company as the man whose car was shunted into me. Same company but different depts who blamed each other...........it ended with court action by me - they coughed on the eve of the court date.

Well done FB. Aren't car dealers just such nice people. It is great to be sure of your ground and get the better of them. Cheers Concrete

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - RT

Be wary about courtesy cars - both dealers (warranty) and insurers (repairs) will often use hire cars if a like-for-like vehicle is justified - your own policy is unlikely to cover it.

n/a - Insurance question re hire cars - skidpan

Be wary about courtesy cars - both dealers (warranty) and insurers (repairs) will often use hire cars if a like-for-like vehicle is justified - your own policy is unlikely to cover it.

All our recently policies have had courtesy car cover included for a max of 7 days (I think). But I last used it in 2005, either get a bus (or walk) into town or better still get the other half to pick me up if they need it all day.