Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - Gareth Matthews
Hi, question on mpg on new cars. Is it true you need to run it in for a 1000 miles or so before getting a correct mpg reading. The car is supposed to get 76mpg but I'm only getting 50mpg. I've read that there is a run in period before the computer adjusts and gives an accurate reading. And if not, and this is the true reading is there anything In complaining and returning the car on the basis of misleading figures? I know you never get what they claim to be the mpg but I wasn't expecting a 30% difference.

Thanks in advance
Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - Paulsxf

How does it compare to the Real MPG section here?

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/realmpg/renault/megane-2016

If its a 1.5 diesel then your figures are about right. May get better as the engine wears a little but probably not much.

Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - RobJP

MPG figures make it very clear, in the advertising, that they are the 'official' NEDC figures. By law, those are the ONLY figures that the manufacturer can put out.

Ten minutes of research before purchasing would have told you the reality - that the figures are a mile from what people actually get. The same is true for pretty much every car out there, not just the one you've bought

No, you have no grounds for rejecting the car.

Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - SLO76
It might improve slightly with more miles. Out of curiosity, what sort of driving is it largely used for, local stop start or long distance?
Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - Xileno

More like 8000 miles before it begins to loosen up and give accurate MPG. It should settle around 55 to 60 MPG depending on the type of use. 76 MPG will only be achieved in the test conditions. In this colder weather you can knock a few MPG off as well.

Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - Avant

Absolutely right, and welcome back Xileno!

Some people have unrealistic expectations of the mpg they will get, under the influence of the tests and the advertising hype based on them. The hybrids are the most misleading, with test results suggesting that they will do 140 mpg or so - in real life not a chance.

The problem is that official figures have to be compiled from the same tests on each different car, and to do this by real-life driving on roads is impossible as there are too many variables (driver, road conditions etc).

As said above, look at actual people's experiences in Real MPG on this site: that's the nearest you'll get.

Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - Miniman777
Got the same engine in my Nissan Juke and I reckon it was not until around the 20,000 mark that the engine had loosened and mpg improved. Getting around 60 at the moment using Sport
mode.
Renault Megane 2016 - Mpg - skidpan

The MPG in our diesel Kia Ceed continued to improve until it hit 20,000 miles and then settled.

The mpg in my Leon TSi has been pretty consistent since day one.

The replacement for the Ceed, a Nissan Note DIG-S improved steadilly for the first 6,000 miles appprox as the engine noticably loosened up.

But how is the OP checking his MPG. If its from the dash its likely to be wrong since they normally show higher figures than the truth. Take the Leon, dash sows 48 mpg, calculations indicate about 45 mpg. BMW I had was a pathological liar, dash showed 53 mpg, calculations showed 47 mpg. The Ceed was the exception, the dash was about 1 mpg under the calculated figure.