Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Was checking/ blowing up all the tyres on my new car today. I note the steel spare wheel has got the 50mph warning sticker on it. The tyre is identical to those on my alloy wheels.

Am I committing an offence if I drive more than 50mph on it? I do understand it would be if the tyre was a different size. Could I legitimately remove the sticker?

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - FP

It's possibly just a typo, but if you're referring to a "space-saver", by definition that means a wheel/tyre that is smaller than standard, so that it doesn't take up as much space in the boot or wherever.

Maybe what you have is a full-size spare wheel/tyre.

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

It's possibly just a typo, but if you're referring to a "space-saver", by definition that means a wheel/tyre that is smaller than standard, so that it doesn't take up as much space in the boot or wherever.

Maybe what you have is a full-size spare wheel/tyre.

The tyre size and type is identical to those on the alloys. The spare steel wheel has got the space saver type 50 mph warning on it.

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - nortones2

It's a spare sticker perhaps?

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - gordonbennet

I've never understood the 50 limit applying to a full (or equivalent) sized spare even if its rated T or H instead of V or Z.

Wheelbarrow tyre fair enough, though i see enough of them fitted and the car bowling along with everyone else at 70+.

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - NARU

The '50' might be because the same spare is used on a variety of cars - some of them may have bigger standard wheels?

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - brum

Check the offset on the spare matches those on the alloys - look for the ETxx stamp on the wheels (not tyres) e.g. ET43 etc. If it doesnt then its a mismatch and has to be speed restricted by law., otherwise peel off the sticker if you wish....

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - bathtub tom

I had a steel spare in the boot of my old Almera (cheapskates!). It was an inch larger diameter, 10mm less width and higher profile - the same size as fitted to lower spec models. No speed restriction.

Skoda Octavia III - Does 50 mph Limit Apply to Full Sized Space Saver - skidpan

Bought a new Mondeo in 2002 which came with a full sized steel spare complete with a Pirelli identical to the other 4 and a 50mph sticker. Asked dealer why and surprise surprise, he had no idea. He did refer it to Ford who came back and said that although the steel spare was dimentionally identical it was a lighter construction than a normal steel wheel and was not rated for speeds over 50mph.

So I visited a local dismantling yard and bought an alloy off a recent right off (back wheel off a car fire damaged by faulty phone wiring) fitted the tyre off the steel spare and guess what, never used it.