Volkswagen Caddy 1.9D 2002 - Intermittent loss of response from accelerator - David Ward

I have a problem at the moment with my Caddy as there appears to be a lack of connection between the accelerator pedal and the engine. This has just started and is accompanied by the pre heater warning light flashing. If I leave it a short while it appears to be working for a matter of minutes and then goes again. I'm no mechanic and I'm guessing something electrical due to the speed it came on, the fact it comes back momentarily on restarting and because the engine continues idling along oblivious to the fact that I am pressing down on the pedal. Help

Volkswagen Caddy 1.9D 2002 - Intermittent loss of response from accelerator - RobJP

Not necessarily electronic. The symptoms could easily be the EGR valve sticking.

A proper diagnostic would certainly be of help, unless you like throwing money randomly into changing parts until you find the fault.

Volkswagen Caddy 1.9D 2002 - Intermittent loss of response from accelerator - David Ward

Thanks I'll get on and get some diagnostics sorted.

Volkswagen Caddy 1.9D 2002 - Intermittent loss of response from accelerator - Cyd

I agree that getting any codes read is a worthwhile exercise and I am not a fan of diagnosis by guesswork generally. However, it’s liable to cost £30+vat to get the codes read, whereas how much could you get a secondhand accelerator for from a breakers? If you’ve a multimeter you could even conduct a rough test on the pot yourself.

Of course it could be the throttle body. The pots sometimes go in these and can cause weird symptoms. Similarly the motorised mechanism.

Thanks for your time and advice

I agree that getting any codes read is a worthwhile exercise and I am not a fan of diagnosis by guesswork generally. However, it’s liable to cost £30+vat to get the codes read, whereas how much could you get a secondhand accelerator for from a breakers? If you’ve a multimeter you could even conduct a rough test on the pot yourself.

Of course it could be the throttle body. The pots sometimes go in these and can cause weird symptoms. Similarly the motorised mechanism.