Used versus Reconditioned Engines - PETER 4768

So you need to buy an engine for your vehicle after yours has failed, your mechanic has asked you to locate one. Maybe, you should be wondering why he isn’t finding it for you? You don’t take the TV for a repair and the technician asks you to get him a screen from somewhere.

The answer is simple! Buying an engine is an absolute mine field, hence, your mechanic won’t source one for you, he will no doubt have “burnt his fingers before”. If he supplies and fits an engine for you and the unit is faulty, then who will pay for his labour? But if you supply him the engine and it’s faulty, then you will be still required to pay his bill and all you can do is hope that your supplier will reimburse you.

First things first, Reconditioned Engines should never be confused with remanufactured. Remanufactured engines are supplied by only one British manufacturer - Ivor Searle, these engines are the equivalent of new, but obviously priced accordingly.

A reconditioned engine is generally a failed used engine that has been rebuilt. A perusal of the classified adverts for reconditioned engines will clearly demonstrate two things, firstly that all sellers require your failed engine back as an exchange unit, ( your exchange unit should be free of holes or you will pay a surcharge) and secondly, that used engines cost more than reconditioned. I guess you’re wondering about how that can be, and unlike earlier, the answer is not simple.

A reconditioned engine has no legal definition and, unless you have asked for a list of all work that has been carried out on the unit before you purchased it, you have no way of knowing what has actually been done to the unit to give it the name Reconditioned. This is where the advertised reconditioned engines with a list of works carried out fall down. Price the components yourself, use google, you will see the trade price for the parts. What’s promised simply can’t be done for the money.

It’s the oldest form of selling, a case of telling you what you want to hear. I am sure that no decent company would knowingly sell a faulty engine but on the other hand, will they pay your mechanics bill if it is? If the answer is yes, and you have paid by credit card, then proceed as the bottom line is -you have their guarantee in writing and section 20 protection from your credit card company.

I’m not against reconditioned engines but, I prefer to refer to them as an engine that has had a contact part rebuild and replacement of any worn components. An engine that doesn’t have an identifiable failure should never be rebuilt. Obviously, if you don’t know why it went wrong you can never be sure that it’s fixed. Lots of modern engines have fuel systems cast into the heads and obviously, tests cannot be easily run on these. Similarly, oil pressure cannot easily be measured pre build up.

Number one best option if going down the rebuild/ reconditioned route is to rebuild you own unit. Logic tells you if your old engine is required back as part of the deal then it’s going to end up back in someone’s car, so why not yours?

Unfortunately for you, the only true test for the engine will be when its fitted into your car. You need to be clear with your supplier pre purchase, in writing, that if you use their services in either rebuilding your own engine or fitting one of theirs, that if it becomes faulty either at the point of fitting or during its warranty that they will become liable for your mechanics reasonable fitting costs.

Another major point to consider is that an engine is no longer a stand alone part, when it fails, normally other parts will fail with it or even worse have caused the failure. Buying just an engine will not normally resolve all of your problems and what is exactly required to get your car back on the road should be discussed with your mechanic before you purchase anything. Any good supplier will refuse to sell you anything until they have spoken to your garage themselves.

On the other hand, a warranted low mileage used engine with provenance will always trump the reconditioned engine, firstly it arrives complete, secondly it was in its donor vehicle running and checked prior to you purchasing it.

Unfortunately, this analogy isn’t a perfect scenario, it only works in high percentage rates for vehicles less than eight years old and without design faults. As an example it would be pointless to replace a failed Audi 2.0 tdi engine with a used one as the badly designed oil pump that likely caused the failure would still need replacing. Vehicles older than eight year old will be harder to source low mileage used engines for, in cases such as these partially rebuilt used engines are the only cost effective option

Ultimately no two scenarios are the same but as an absolute must when making a large purchase over the phone or internet is PAY BY CREDIT CARD that way your card provider protects you from faulty or fraudulent purchases. Some sellers might refuse card holder not present transactions and in this case ask that they send you a paypal invoice. NEVER EVER DEAL WITH A COMPANY THAT REFUSES CREDIT CARDS

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - RaineMan

Sounds simple put like that. However life is never that easy! With an older car, say over eight years old, the decision has to be taken if it is worth it. I suffered an engine failure earlier this year on my 90's Vauxhall and whilst phoning around was recommended Ivor Searle. After navigating the website I was requested to call the sales team. Whilst they were polite they were unable to help me (why was my car listed then). I now have another car whilst my old car sits in a garage whilst I look for a suitable donor.

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - Bromptonaut

My old Berlingo was (wrongly) diagnosed with a CHG failure between cylinders 1&2. Given the fact that book said replacement was a subframe out job my indy suggested a replacement engine. A minefield of options, not all direct matches, but all with very limited warranties.

Fault was actually mild valve seat recession meaning that when cold exhaust valves were not closing properly. Sorting the clearances was a camshaft out and fiddle with shims job which cost £500, but at least left me with a motor that, albeit on 150k, was a completely known quantity.

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - diddy1234

I could have done with this advice 20 years ago. lol

Had a Mark II 1.3l Astra brought from a car auction. found out after a few days the oil pump was on its way out. would stall on idle as no oil being pumped around but ok if the revs kept up.

Four weeks later brought another 1.3l engine from a scrap yeard. had it fitted only to find out it drank 5 litres of oil for every 1000 miles. £500 all up

interesting driving it down the motorway when all of a sudden the tappets sounded like machine gun fire. pull over dump some more oil in and off i go again.

So I saved up for two months and hardly drove the car, drove to Thurrock (using almost 5 litres of oil again as the oil burning was getting worse) and got a re-conditioned engine fitted for £400.

Nothing like running in a tight engine that ran very hot for the 1st thousand miles. every time I stopped the electric fan would come on and the temp gauge was just below 100c when driving.

I then got rid of the car about a month later. Odly enough despite all of that I liked the car

Edited by diddy1234 on 18/10/2016 at 20:12

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - Metropolis.

Where do crate engines fit in to all this?

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - PETER 4768

We dont really do crate engines in the uk, brand new engines come mostly from the dealers and none are plug and play.

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - focussed

We dont really do crate engines in the uk, brand new engines come mostly from the dealers and none are plug and play.

Try this source of new engines from a Ford authorised industrial dealer.

www.powertorque.co.uk/automotive-engines-parts

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - Andrew-T

Nearly 30 years ago my daughter was driving Newcastle-Cheshire in her 205 when the cambelt failed near Carlisle. I can't recall how she got home, but the upshot was a second-hand engine fitted by the rescue garage for £550. It seemed quite a lot at the time, but it did all right.

The galling thing was that her car had been serviced by a Pug dealer a few months before at 48K miles, which Peugeot had recommended as the time for a new belt. The dealer had said nothing.

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - NARU

I had a few experiences in my early 20s.

I bought a vauxhall victor which seemed fine on the test drive. On the first long journey the radiator went. Just one of those things, I thought, was rescued and replaced it. The car was fine for running around.

On the next long journey, the engine was clearly starting to seize. I pulled over the hard shoulder and called the AA. When their contractor arrived it had cooled and restarted. He refused to rescue me, so I had to drive home. I took it very easy, and managed almost 100 miles before a conrod went through the side of the engine. The AA later got me a pretty decent contribution from the contractor.

I bought a used engine [delivered], but it turned out to be a real dud. When I hired a van to take it back, the premises on the invoice address turned out not to exist.

Fortunately, just at that time, a friend who had a similar car failed his MOT. I was offered the car for free, but it was much rustier than mine. I chose to get the minimum repairs done and ran it for a few weeks, before putting the engine into my good car. That then worked for a considerable time, and I had a donor car for any other bits a pieces I needed.

So if you're buying a used engine, my advice would be to buy the whole car if you can - run it for a few weeks and make sure its sound before you or your mechanic swap the engine over.

Edited by Marlot on 20/10/2016 at 08:52

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - movilogo

I had a reconditioned engine fitted in my first car (when original engine seized). Looking back, it was a wrong decision. The car developed other faults shortly afterwards. Finally I got rid of the car.

I don't think in these days a reconditioned engine (unless manufacturer fitting under warranty) is a pragmatic or cost effective solution.

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - skidpan

If he supplies and fits an engine for you and the unit is faulty, then who will pay for his labour? But if you supply him the engine and it’s faulty, then you will be still required to pay his bill and all you can do is hope that your supplier will reimburse you.

That is an argument that has been stated so many times in the past but people still insist on trying to save a few pounds when if there is an issue the seller and fitter will almost certainly wiln and the owner/buyer loose.

Last time I needed a replacement engine was in 2008 for the Caterham. The 2 litre Zetec had a serious issue with lubrication and did not sound too well (it got me home, just). A strip down revealed it needed a crank regrind, new main and big end bearings, the rods checking for big end trueness (they were blue) and all remaining parts checking and cleaning. On top of that a cam belt set, oil pump and full gasket set, came to over £500 with me assembling it.

A few years previous Ford did a brand new exchange short block assembly for about £300 (some friends used them in their builds) so I checked with the local Ford parts counter. The helpful chap had retired and his replacements were useless unless it was a filter or spark plug so gave up there. But before I went ahead with reconditioning the existing i checked with a chap I had competed against some years ago who traded in Zetec parts and it was a good job i did. No short engines but he did a brand new Ford engine in a crate complete with exhaust, inlet, clutch etc all fro about £800 inc VAT. Ordered one and collected a few days later. Sold the parts Off it i did not need for about £300 on e-bay and then sold the damaged engine for spares which thanks to e-bay raised £500.

At the end of the day I had a brand new engine for no cost other than my time collecting the new engine and fitting it. Sometimes there is a god.

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - aethelwulf

The only 'new' engine that I have need was on my VW Transporter camper van. The original engine ( diesel turbo 1600cc) was worn out at 103,000 miles and burning its own oil. I took it to a VW independent garage who fitted a VEGE rebuilt engine. This cost about £2,700 in 1997 so not cheap but a VW new would have been more. I sold the van in 2006 after another 75K so it did not let me down. I do not know whether VEGE are still around.

Used versus Reconditioned Engines - Xileno

They still are in business according to the web.