tightening track rod locking nuts - Dave Rosser

Hi,

My car is currently at the garage (Skoda main dealer) for its first MOT and I just recived a list from the garage of MOT failures and advisories.

Amongst the failures is "loose track rod end locking nuts" on both sides. I had the tracking done on saturday at a different garage at the same time as getting 2 new tyres so they probably didnt tighten the nuts enough.

Skoda sent me a video showing the loose nuts and were asking for £56 (£28 x 2) to tighten them. I queried this and the said they would drop the price to £10.80 x2.

They are also replacing the front brake pads so will have the car up on the ramps etc. Does anyone else think it's excessive to charge so much tighten 2 easily accessible nuts?

Perhaps I am wrong but shouldn't this take about 10 seconds per nut?

They also want £30 to "de bug" the car. I didn't even know it had bugs. :-)

tightening track rod locking nuts - Galaxy

If you had the tracking adjusted on Saturday and you now have an MOT failure certificate saying the track rod end nuts are lose, I'd be straight back to that garage to have a word with them!

They obviously didn't tighten them up after resetting the tracking! I have never, ever, heard of those particular nuts coming lose. To have them both come lose would be impossible. There's no other explanation.

The Skoda garage would probably recheck the tracking both before and after tightening the nuts. With the nuts lose the tracking could-well have now gone out.

tightening track rod locking nuts - gordonbennet

As above, take car straight back to the place who bodged the tracking in the first place, it needs redoing for no charge.

tightening track rod locking nuts - Wackyracer

Maybe don't use Skoda's maindealers in future? most good indy garages doing other work would just check and tighten them up for free.

tightening track rod locking nuts - Cyd

I agree with G and WR

tightening track rod locking nuts - tryitandsee

Even quickfit the other day did my audi's front tracking for £25 when replacing one front tyre. They also say to come back within 30 days if you feel the steering pulling again and they will re check and align for free. Can't complain at that.

Edited by tryitandsee on 04/10/2016 at 13:54

tightening track rod locking nuts - Wackyracer

Kwik fit were the same with me, I changed all the front suspension and they did a quick adjustment on it and told me to come back when the suspension bushes had settled down. Couldn't complain at all.

Many years ago I had tracking done at a tyre company in Homesdale road in Bromley and they left the lock nuts loose. I only noticed some time later when I was doing something else to the car.