Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - -Kat-

Just off to some advice please my Hyundai i10 has just failed its MOT on the following

nearside front Front wheel bearing has excessive play (2.5.A.3c)

the car has only done 20000 miles in this time from new, I jacked up the wheel and there is a ot of movement at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock and 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock, when I press the brakes the movement stops, therefore I'm guessing the MOT diagnostics is correct,

also could it be the actual hub that's failed

also bit surprised it's fails at such a low mileage and no mention of it last year, any thoughts please

Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - hardway

So I bought this 20Y motorbike a few years back,

If I recall it had sub 20K on the clock,

Might have even been 14K,

Anyway low mileage,

And within a year I had to replace EVERY wheel bearing AND the headstock bearings.

What you have to realise is even when it's or yours isn't moving it's still sitting on all the bearings.

That's full weight pressure on all the bearings.

So moral of the story is don't get excited about low mileage meaning the same as new condition.

It doesn't!

Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - mss1tw
If you mean 20 years old is not more likely that the grease had simply aged and failed to lubricate the bearings properly?
Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - focussed

"also bit surprised it's fails at such a low mileage and no mention of it last year, any thoughts please"

Yes- Possible water ingress into the bearings from being pressure washed.

Hi

I am indeed aware low mileage is not good for cars, although this has been driven gently

Cant be sure how often car has pressure washed, me never, unless Hyundai did it during the first few services, but I've been doing the services for the last few years, washed by myself using hose gun

The roads here are terrible hard noisy surfaces with lots of potholes so that won't help

Edited by -Kat- on 18/09/2016 at 03:27

Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - gordonbennet

I'd be inclined to whip the wheel off if it hasn't already been done for peace of mind, that level of wear should be associated with a noisy or grinding/rumbling bearing, it's slightly possible the hub nut has somehow come loose and is slowly unscrewing itself, it could happen especially on the nearside assuming its RH thread as the wheel rotates.

The MOT tester will not have removed the wheel to check this unless you asked the garage for a diagnosis after the test.

Its entirely possible that the hub/bearing is one unit, so easy enough to replace but mayeb more expensive than a bearing which would then have to be pressed out and in, swings and roundabouts, OE will probably be expensive, worth checking the usual online sites for alternatives.

Edited by gordonbennet on 18/09/2016 at 08:13

Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - RichardW

Be under warranty won't it, so Hyundai's problem to sort it out....

Seems odd it would let go with lots of play and not make any noise, but no idea what sort of bearing it is. Might, as GB says, just need the hub nut nipping up.

Edited by RichardW on 18/09/2016 at 09:36

Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - gordonbennet

Be under warranty won't it, so Hyundai's problem to sort it out....

I think Kat has been self servicing, so warranty is probably a no go even if the car is under 5 years.

Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - hardway

Aged grease could be a possible but on this bike the chain sproket carrier bearing is internal and well served by grease and protection.

My only other theory was the bike was spotlessly clean and I suspect the previous owner really liked his pressure washer.

Car is 7 years old,

I believe the bearing is pressed into the knuckle, so needs ball joint and track rod to come out, one garage did mention the nut, but there is an indent so not sure how it can come loose.

Anyway will see what the garage say when they change it

Edited by -Kat- on 18/09/2016 at 14:42

Hyundai i10 - mot fail on wheel bearing - RichardW

Didn't realise the i10 had been around that long, I must be getting old....!

Changing a W/B is pretty straightforward if you have the right tools. Hub nut off, brake caliper off, split track rod end and bottom ball joint, undo connection to strut, unplug ABS sensor, and remove hub carrier from car. Press or pull out the hub. Fight the circlip out of the back of the bearing (usually resembles a rusty lump and is reluctant to be removed!). Press bearing out. Clean up the hub and press new bearing in. Remove the outer track from the hub (bearing puller or cut it with a grinder then snap it), then press the hub back into the bearing. Refit to the car. Depending on the arrangement it may be necessary to remove the ABS sensor, which can be as bad as removing the bearing itself!!

Sorry for the late response, fortunately I took to an honest garage and all it was was somehow a loose hub/axle nut, tightening up to correct torque and all OK, that's 2 mots Plus labour all for £35. I call that a result!

BTW not sure how the hub nut came loose, there have been no parts changed on the axle so no way to my knowledge why it would come loose. Possibly factory

Any how on a different subject will start like looking at an i20 possibly 13/14 plate 1.2 petrol active, I find the i10 too noisy on the motorway, and on rough roads

Edited by -Kat- on 29/09/2016 at 01:19