Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - Mark Shearer

I have been charged £585 by Enterprise to repair a scratch no bigger than this "0" and a very slight indentation - on the rear right wheel arch. I havent been given any documents to prove the repair. The money was just debited from my card. Where can i get a second opinion and what are my options? I have photos of the "damage". Any help hugely appreciated.

Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - Steveieb
Did this happen abroad and did you take out the additional insurance cover?
Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - oldroverboy.
Did this happen abroad and did you take out the additional insurance cover?

For the OP, I bet the answer is no.

I have given up hiring cars as we do "city breaks" and have found for our EU visits that local trains fit the bill, with the odd taxi, especially where we not sure of the entry restrictions for motor vehicles in certain italian towns.

Should i need a car in future I would go armed with my uk purchased excess policy.

If you signed the rental agreement witout taking the excess cover, that's it!

Lucky to get away with such a small amount, as if they had it repaired you would be charged for the lost days of rental too.

And no, I doubt if they will repair it.

Edited by oldroverboy. on 27/08/2016 at 13:46

Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - Steveieb
When I returned my car last year in Ibiza to a major rental company they checked the body work with a special xenon lamp for dents. When this failed to detect any imperfections they claimed I had scuffed the sill with my shoe which counted as a claim
Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - brum

A few years ago my son had a micra from enterprise for 2 days provided f.o.c. while his car was repaired by third party accident insurance. It was supplied with a nearly flat tyre and a missing spare which fortunately we picked up before we set off. On return they spent around 15 minutes checking the alignment of all panels and eventually claimed a a small indent which to us was imperceptible to our eyes. As the car had not been off our drive, we stood our ground until they eventually trawled through previous rental history and found 3 or 4 rentals ago theyd picked this damage up and made the weakest of apologies.

How many other renters have been charged for the same unrepaired damage? Or rather a nice little earner.

These guys were all dressed in black suits, I suspect they were Mormons. Isnt Enterprise the outfit that have that obnoxious tv advert with that American in your face?

Needless to say Enterprise is on our black list and I would advise anyone else to avoid them.

Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - Brit_in_Germany

Just handed a car back to Hertz with a new scratch in it. Classed as "small" damage and billed a reasonable £120 + £30 admin fee. The excess insurance co will hopefully refund this.

Edited by Brit_in_Germany on 27/08/2016 at 19:20

Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - Falkirk Bairn

A few years back there was court proceedings in the US over rental car damage.

All the big renters there were found guilty of overcharging for miniscule damage - tiny dent that a smart repair would cost $30 charged out at $ Hundreds & they then did not fix the car but left the dings & scratches.

They waited until the car was properly damaged then had the whole car repaired with the all the minor dings fixed at the one time.

The new rule set by the court was $actual repair cost + Admin charge.

Does not apply here however.

I was sent a rental invoice 2/3 weeks after a company hire for 1 day circa £600 IIRC. Passsat spare wheel & tyre as the spare was missing. I was not aware the tyre was missing but I replied in full saying it was not me - It was only some 6 weeks since I had had abdominal surgery & was forbidden to lift anything - If I had had a puncture I would have phoned AA/RAC type 7 anyway how many hires would the car have had in the intervening 2+ weeks. Returned the invoice & heard nothing more!

The car had about 10K miles & was pretty tatty - maybe they noticed it on the checklist b4 being sent to auction!

Citroen C3 - Enterprise Rental - £585 to repair v small scratch - ExA35Owner

Hired a van from Europcar in UK recently. On return I admitted to some damage - small dent in driver's door. They used a template device to detect that the damage was small enough to be ignored. No charge. Full marks Europcar for not being as grasping as some of their competitors.